Musselburgh Athletic Football Club

Benny The Fish

On 19/05/2017 at 13:58, Casey Jones said:

Well, to be HONEST, I don't think you looked at my post closely enough JON!

Tell me where I said we would beat Jeanfield easily, or the implication that we will beat them by more than two goals.

However, if we do beat Jeanfield I won't be shocked, nor will my fellow supporters.

1.We beat Bonnyrigg away last week 2-1. Five days later Bonnyrigg go up to Jeanfield and win 3-1. 

2.You say Bo'ness beat Jeanfield 5-0; well this season we beat Bo'ness 1-0,

On these two stats alone we will go up to Jeanfield and hump them 6 or 7 nil!!

I bet in a five minute turnaround you could give provide opposite results to what I have given.

This proves squidlly squat!! - Tomorrow's result will be determined solely by the players on the pitch and what happens in the 90 or so minutes that are played. Past results against whoever won't matter one bit!

So, without even a crystal ball, I will repeat the last sentence of my previous post;

I will still be there next season to support my team, but think we will still be in the Super league come August!

MTB!

I think I called this one correct Casey, tough place to get a result, and by the way Jeanfield is not my team. Good luck on a quick return to the Superleague, you do have good club and a great wee park, I won't miss the journey through there though.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, honestjon said:

I think I called this one correct Casey, tough place to get a result, and by the way Jeanfield is not my team. Good luck on a quick return to the Superleague, you do have good club and a great wee park, I won't miss the journey through there though.

You called it right Jon!

Tonight is raw for me, and I wasn't going to come on P&B, but can't shy away.

After 30 league games we finish 2nd bottom, so for this season we just aren't good enough! 

Started off the season better than anyone could envisage, by beating Bo'ness 1-0. However, our downfall was drawing too many games, 11 in total, and joint top in the league. If we had won just two of them, that may have seen us safe - but others around us could point to similar hard luck stories, so we are where we are!

In the league, we went from 15 October to 29 April without winning a league match and lose our last three league games, Anyone who knows or follows football will tell you that that is relegation written all over it!

Newtongrange win their final 4 league games, to be one point above us after 30 games. They could do it when it matters. Musselburgh couldn't.

Yip, I am gutted for the players, for the management team, for May and Charlie, and all involved with Musselburgh. 

But I will be back come August to support my team as I have done for the past 15 years.

Yes, we have a semi final and a quarter final tie still to play next week - will be there too, but I would have forfeited both ties for one point today!

Sh1t happens, but didn't want it for my team!

Well done to Mathu King for winning players and supporters player of the year awards. Richly deserved and I hope our 'veteran' goal scorer remains next year to help ensure we return to the Super League at the first time of asking!

Just also want to mention Skip, our no.7. Sean Murphy is a very talented young player who hopefully will have a great football career!

Mussey certainly not the 2nd worst team I have played against this season, but as you say that's football and the table doesn't lie! Big gap between the top 8 and bottom 8 in the league this season in terms of points

Guest brycey

a hope ees dinna mind me sayin guys it wis nae surprise that the hoose went doon but if onybuddy hud said tae me that the burra wid get relegated wae us n nitten wid b 3rd bottom at the stert o the seeson ad hae laffed in there face that's how unpredictable fitba is certainly gonna b an interestin premier league nxt season

Gutted at the way the league campaign ended for us. I hope Shandy and Geordie stay and manage the team back into the Super League at the first attempt. Sauchie showed this season that it can be done. I hope we follow suit. Need to wait and see what the squad is for next year - who stays; who goes on the player front, and which players come in? 

Would rather have stayed up at the expense of both cups we are still in with a shout at winning, but that is now the past, and we must move forward.

Musselburgh has a great chance tomorrow night  to get to the final of the Fife and Lothians Cup. Tranent has had a fantastic end to the season and have beaten a fair number of Super League teams in the process. However, I believe that we are the better team, and hopefully this will be proved right on the night!!

Mon the Burgh

Will the 'burgh be back quickly is the question?

Good set up at Olive Bank and will miss my trip next season.  Has always been a hard place to get points for us but always sure of a good contest.

Good luck for next season.

43 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Will the 'burgh be back quickly is the question?

Good set up at Olive Bank and will miss my trip next season.  Has always been a hard place to get points for us but always sure of a good contest.

Good luck for next season.

I think last night's performance and result just shows how difficult it may be to return back to the Super League in one go.

Musselburgh went one nil up, but Tranent scored very quickly after that.  We have had this in a number of games - scoring first but not holding on to the lead for very long; so another draw in 90 minutes from a potentially winning position.

Given we are technically still a Super League team, and playing at home, I think we should have gone out and won the game.  However, Tranent came into this with confidence, fought for every ball, and whoever won the tie, for me, deserved to. Unfortunately - Again - it wasn't us.

For Saturday's quarter final cup tie against Jeanfield, I am going to change predictions; and say that we will get hammered.  Usually confident in my team, but not sure they have any at this time!!  With this prediction, Musselburgh may go on and win.

MTB!

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

I think last night's performance and result just shows how difficult it may be to return back to the Super League in one go.

Musselburgh went one nil up, but Tranent scored very quickly after that.  We have had this in a number of games - scoring first but not holding on to the lead for very long; so another draw in 90 minutes from a potentially winning position.

Given we are technically still a Super League team, and playing at home, I think we should have gone out and won the game.  However, Tranent came into this with confidence, fought for every ball, and whoever won the tie, for me, deserved to. Unfortunately - Again - it wasn't us.

For Saturday's quarter final cup tie against Jeanfield, I am going to change predictions; and say that we will get hammered.  Usually confident in my team, but not sure they have any at this time!!  With this prediction, Musselburgh may go on and win.

MTB!

Tranent did the same to us, at least you got a draw in 90 mins.  You are right, it will be a tough league next season but best of luck anyway.

1 hour ago, justasking said:

Current team not good enough for super league

After 30 games, with no more to be played, then I can't argue with you. At the end of the season, we finished 2nd bottom, so we aren't good enough and are relegated. 

However, as was said elsewhere on the forum - small margins. One additional goal in our last league match could have given us a draw at Jeanfield. That would have meant either Newtongrange or Jeanfield going down instead.

Small margins - but huge implication now for Musselburgh moving on to next season.

Same could be said for every game that's was a defeat by one goal or a draw, or the shots that hit the bar or the post, if only . Who knows, a wee bit a luck u could have won the league. There is always next year, or league reconstruction !!!

Next season, when we need more stability to our game, and need a player like Geordie, or Smithy, or Myles back in to the team. 
Neither Geordie or Smithy were fast players, but both had great talent, skill  and able to take control of the midfield. Always wanting the ball and could distribute the ball well around the park giving others around them confidence.
jackie not the same type of player, but what a battler, and would run and run for the team, - as my pal in the west said before, a wee Modric type player. All three when fit would have started in probably all of the other super league teams.
Shandy/Geordie has to find a couple of similar players. Musselburgh have got some great young talent, like Skip in midfield, but we need to get a leader in the middle of the park again.

I know Jackie personally and he's a cracking lad played with him in teams and he's turned into a great player as he's got older. Not the best technically but I tell you what he gave his all and never have you a minute full of energy. Musselburgh miss him the most out of every player they've lost. Give Brian Martin a shout about playing again also a cracking player

33 minutes ago, honestjon said:

Same could be said for every game that's was a defeat by one goal or a draw, or the shots that hit the bar or the post, if only . Who knows, a wee bit a luck u could have won the league. There is always next year, or league reconstruction !!!

I agree totally with you Jon. I hope you can see by my responses that I am not asking for excuses - yes one goal could have made a difference for us - by the reality is, Musselburgh weren't good enough over the whole season. Will still support them next season as I have done for last 15 years.

21 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

I know Jackie personally and he's a cracking lad played with him in teams and he's turned into a great player as he's got older. Not the best technically but I tell you what he gave his all and never have you a minute full of energy. Musselburgh miss him the most out of every player they've lost. Give Brian Martin a shout about playing again also a cracking player

Not sure that Brian will want to come back for a third time in the last few years. Certainly when he returned before he went to Berwick, almost immediately that happened, there was a huge up turn in our performances and points won from then to the end of season. I so wish that Jackie didn't go to Linlithgow, and it is very unfortunate how his season went, but I fully understand at his stage of playing why he wanted to go there.

Looking back at the thoughts of 9 April, I do think the way our season has finished we definitely would have benefited from a Myles; Geordie, or Smithy in the current team!

Not sure that Brian will want to come back for a third time in the last few years. Certainly when he returned before he went to Berwick, almost immediately that happened, there was a huge up turn in our performances and points won from then to the end of season. I so wish that Jackie didn't go to Linlithgow, and it is very unfortunate how his season went, but I fully understand at his stage of playing why he wanted to go there.
Looking back at the thoughts of 9 April, I do think the way our season has finished we definitely would have benefited from a Myles; Geordie, or Smithy in the current team!

Brian is too good a player not to be playing and he's cracking on in years. Yes very unfortunate with the injuries Jackie ( Mark Owen ) not modric [emoji6] has picked up but it was worth a shot at his age. Aww I completely agree losing Smith and Myles has weakened the team and with them playing I don't think you'd have went down. Two outstanding players.

Brian is too good a player not to be playing and he's cracking on in years. Yes very unfortunate with the injuries Jackie ( Mark Owen ) not modric [emoji6] has picked up but it was worth a shot at his age. Aww I completely agree losing Smith and Myles has weakened the team and with them playing I don't think you'd have went down. Two outstanding players.

I'd only accept Mark Owen if he was as gid a player as Modric!

Next season we need a taller centre half and a taller centre forward than at present. Matti King wins a lot of headers but we would benefit from a couple of bigger players.

Whoever the centre forward is , he should always stay in that position so keeper and defenders always have a target man to aim for!

Archived