Musselburgh Athletic Football Club

Benny The Fish

3 hours ago, pumphy_man said:

Is that goal from the half way line.

It was pumphy, in the Scottish cup replay that your team won 3-0. The worse thing was the same occurrence happened twice that season, and I'm not sure he has learned his lesson.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Convincing win last night. Musselburgh played a lot of good football. Nil - nil at half time, when we should have been up. However, a great goal by Declan at the start of the second half set us up for the win and into the semi final. 

Barry Hogg and Jack Gillan did a lot of good running off the ball, but Ralts was the best player on the field, capped by great goal.

What a difference three days make. Convincingly won in the cup game on Wednesday, But lost heavily yesterday.

At 0-0, Mathu should have scored when he seemed to have a clear goal in front of him, but instead skyed the ball over the bar. 

Hovevever, need to get back on track, and believe that we can win at Nitten on Wednesday. That would put us 4 points ahead of 2nd bottom place with four games in hand.

Mon the Burgh 

Come on Burgh. We need to go back up to Nitten on Wednesday and show them that it will be the Burgh who who will be playing Super league football next year.

With the exception of Hammy, having watched Nitten on a few occasions this season, none of their other players would get near the Burgh starting line up this season.

Mon the Burgh

Given the current position in league places, Wednesday night is a massive game at Newtongrange.

Win, and we move away from the play-off spot. Lose, and we move down to relegation spot. Need to stop the poor run of league games.

All best to Shandy and the boys!

On 23/04/2017 at 13:09, Toffee fan said:

Come on Burgh. We need to go back up to Nitten on Wednesday and show them that it will be the Burgh who who will be playing Super league football next year.

With the exception of Hammy, having watched Nitten on a few occasions this season, none of their other players would get near the Burgh starting line up this season.

Mon the Burgh

Or maybe they would

On 4/1/2017 at 19:44, Benny The Fish said:

That's Nittens season well and truly over. The next few weeks will be like putting a dog to sleep.

On 4/9/2017 at 00:31, Casey Jones said:

Can't see away back for either Fauldhouse or Newtongrange, and we still have one more match against east of them.

Third bottom is the worst we should face, yet also have the other teams to play in the current bottom six - HoB, Jeanfield and twice against Lithgae.

So still plenty to play for, and I can see 10 points at least from these six games - gives us a fitting chance!

Mon the Burgh!

Are you still as confident ?

Could one of you come and collect the broken bottle that you left behind last night ! 

Mon the Hoose !!

Are you still as confident ?
Could one of you come and collect the broken bottle that you left behind last night ! 
Mon the Hoose !!

I'm confident we'll finish above Nitten in the league.

Re the bottle, tell me if it was Benny or Casey and I'll have a word with them for sure. If you can't be certain, what calling card was left that you know it belonged to a Burgh supporter? Strange request!

Results haven't been good enough - that's why we now sit 2nd bottom of the league.

However, I have had confidence (realistically too much) in Musselburgh all season, and that isn't going to stop now.

Musselburgh are 1 point behind Nitten with four games in hand, and whilst points are most important - with these four games caught up, at that stage, we will once more be higher up the league than Nitten.

Having still to play Fauldhouse (bottom), Jeanfield (third bottom) and Linlithgow - twice (fourth bottom), as well as Bonnyrigg and Broughty it is still all to play for and come the end of the season -  Musselburgh will still be in the Super League at that time..

6 hours ago, Meeks said:

Or maybe they would

Even though we got beat last night - and in truth we deserved too, I still haven't changed my mind that much. One win doesn't make you a better team.

However, an exception to that would be Lee Currie.  Of the games I've seen him play in the last couple of seasons, he can be a hit or a miss. Last night , he controlled the game, and Musselburgh's error was that he wasn't closed down quick enough, or better still man marked for the whole game.  His passing of the ball was great, and his movement on and off the ball was better than that of any Musselburgh player, by a mile, on the night!

23 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Having still to play Fauldhouse (bottom), Jeanfield (third bottom) and Linlithgow - twice (fourth bottom), as well as Bonnyrigg and Broughty it is still all to play for and come the end of the season -  Musselburgh will still be in the Super League at that time..

Two points to make if I may.

1. As there are many Musselburgh fans on here please take a minute out of your day to vote for Conor Scott in today's Honest lad election. Lots of places to vote including the Brunton from now till 8pm. Don't need to tell you that he and his family have transformed our media and work hard to promote the club.

Good luck Conor!

The 2nd point is to agree with Casey. 

For me There are two ways of looking at the remaining games. There is his positive way which i agree with. You have the the teams in 16th, 14th, 13th (twice) 6th and 2nd to play. I think you will  comfortably get the 10 points that will be required for safety - also avoiding the play off. Maybe 9 points with the goal difference.

The record books though are mixed.

The record v Fauldhouse is excellent. Fauldhouse haven't won or even got a point at Olivebank since 2002. 15 years ago. Fauldhouse have lost their last 6 on the road by 20-1 Sadly I think they will be relegated tomorrow in Musselburghs 201st Super league match.

Prediction 2-0 

The record v Linlithgow is dire. (They are the biggest club with the biggest resources over the years) 2 Musselburgh league wins and 1 draw in the last 20 meetings. Last seasons 2-1 win was the only home league win since before 97. June 2002 was the last Musselburgh win in the league at Prestonfield. (A famous win as it ended their 30 odd unbeaten league run) 

On the other hand Musselburgh have a great cup record against them and the last 5 league meetings have had no more than 1 goal between the sides. 1-0, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 1-0.

Prediction 1-1 at Musselburgh 2-1 loss at Lithgow. 

Jeanfield as Casey said somewhere will be a big game. They draw 1 in 3 and the only meeting in league history ended 2-2. Depending on when the game is scheduled a point might be enough for both teams

Prediction another 2-2

Bonnyrigg. Again record isn't good. 1 League win in 10 at NDP with 2 draws. Another match that depends on the timing. Bonnyrigg maybe able to win the league In which case you have to back them to win. Or they have dropped too many points with 3 games a week taking its toll and have nothing to play for.

Prediction league over Musselburgh win

Broughty. Record isn't good. 3 league games - 3 league losses. They have only lost 1 in the last 6 away but only won 2. They have nothing to play for In the league though.

Prediction comfortable home win 3-1

So 11 points from the last 6 will be more than enough to miss the play off. Two opportunities to make history in the cups as well. The excitement from the media who are making it into something it's not will be flushed out. 

1. As there are many Musselburgh fans on here please take a minute out of your day to vote for Conor Scott in today's Honest lad election. Lots of places to vote including the Brunton from now till 8pm. Don't need to tell you that he and his family have transformed our media and work hard to promote the club.
Good luck Conor!
For me There are two ways of looking at the remaining games. There is his positive way which i agree with. You have the the teams in 16th, 14th, 13th (twice) 6th and 2nd to play. I think you will  comfortably get the 10 points that will be required for safety - also avoiding the play off. Maybe 9 points with the goal difference.
The record v Fauldhouse is excellent. Fauldhouse haven't won or even got a point at Olivebank since 2002. 15 years ago. Fauldhouse have lost their last 6 on the road by 20-1 Sadly I think they will be relegated tomorrow in Musselburghs 201st Super league match.
Prediction 2-0 
The record v Linlithgow is dire. (They are the biggest club with the biggest resources over the years) 2 Musselburgh league wins and 1 draw in the last 20 meetings. Last seasons 2-1 win was the only home league win since before 97. June 2002 was the last Musselburgh win in the league at Prestonfield. (A famous win as it ended their 30 odd unbeaten league run) 
On the other hand Musselburgh have a great cup record against them and the last 5 league meetings have had no more than 1 goal between the sides. 1-0, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 1-0.
Jeanfield as Casey said somewhere will be a big game. They draw 1 in 3 and the only meeting in league history ended 2-2. Depending on when the game is scheduled a point might be enough for both teams
Prediction another 2-2
Bonnyrigg. Again record isn't good. 1 League win in 10 at NDP with 2 draws. Another match that depends on the timing. Bonnyrigg maybe able to win the league In which case you have to back them to win. Or they have dropped too many points with 3 games a week taking its toll and have nothing to play for.
Broughty. Record isn't good. 3 league games - 3 league losses. They have only lost 1 in the last 6 away but only won 2. They have nothing to play for In the league though.
So 11 points from the last 6 will be more than enough to miss the play off. Two opportunities to make history in the cups as well. The excitement from the media who are making it into something it's not will be flushed out. 

You've started early today

47 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

Good luck Conor!

Prediction 2-0 

Prediction another 2-2

I'm Going to share your optimism Faceman, but how we arrive at the 10 points is different. I would say that I expected a win on Wednesday night at Newtongrange; but with the position that both teams were at, at that point, Newtongrange showed a lot more desire to get the 3 points than we did!

In the league, our away form is better than at home, but in the last 6 games, I hope and think we will win 2 home games - Fauldhouse and Broughty; with one away game at Jeanfield.  If we get that I think that would be Musselburgh safe for next season. I also think that we would get one draw out of the remaining 3 matches, and I would pick Linlithgow at home for that!

My intention was to vote for Mr Scott, one because I think if his sister knew me and knew I didn't vote, then there may be trouble ahead.....  My mind, however, is made up by the reasons you have stated!

Three points are a must tomorrow for Burgh. Looked like the confidence had gone against Nitten.

But remember we are still in a semi final and a quarter final of two cups. We win cup ties so let's do the same in the league!

MTB

Three of the bottom five sides won today, so couple of teams above better start to believe that they too might still be in trouble!

Great victory today for Musselburgh today and hopefully our first league win since October will give us the confidence in the remaining 5 games to steer clear of even the play off position.

First 3 points out of 10!

MTB

I think Keith has had quite a quiet start for us. Not sure if he was playing for Spartans right up to his transfer? However, 2 goals in the last 3 games for him, so hopefully, we can see the player that you think he is! If Keith and Mathu click as a front two partnership, I for one will be happy!

Archived