Perth: City of Culture 2021

Southern Fried can sometimes be good. Line-up isnt always to my taste (it really wasn't this year) but it's a great event to have. Admittedly it's effectively almost the same line up as Summertyne in Gateshead but thats no bad thing, especially if the 2 organisers can perhaps work together to improve the overall line-up by running it as a joint venture.

Would also like to see more made of the grounds at Scone Palace. I know they have Rewind, but Scotland could really do with a proper alternative festival along the lines of End of the Road. Perth would be an obvious choice given Scone Palace as a potential site and it's rail and road access.

Perth could be a good choice. Lets face it, if Hull can be city of culture then anybody can.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've no idea, I went in after a Saints away day about six months ago, ordered my fish supper, sat down and 40 minutes later got asked if I was ordering anything. 10 minutes later I got handed a box with a tiny fish and raw chips.

tbf if they gave you 2 big bits of fish you might have shat yourself to death. 

43 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Still like a pint or two in Christies though ;) 

Probably my favorite pub in the town, always mobbed though. 

Been a Fifer staying there for almost a year and I think it's a decent enough to place to stay. It's got a handful of great places to eat, always came across friendly people in the pubs. The skatepark is top notch with fantastic graffiti work on it, and there is a lot of nice wee shops (Trading Places, Bandwagon, and a record shop which name has escaped me.) I have been to in the centre. Sure it has its negatives, but I would definitely pick it compared to some of the other places in Scotland.

Perth definitely isn't amazing but the way some folk on here are going on about it is ridiculous.

It's seriously let down by the ancient council board. Their latest grand plan to make Perth an attractive place to visit is to put lights on buildings that look pretty at night. They think this will result in hoards of people saying "ooooo fancy lights! Lets get ourselves to the city centre tonight!" That's what we're dealing with here. Nevermind the lack of things to do for young folk or the fact every street is choked with charity shops and bookies, or the nightlife which is slowly getting shitter and shitter. Something else needs to be done to make Perth a more interesting place to visit. I'm not sure what that is.

It does have its good points though. There are plenty of pubs and quality restaurants to pick from. It is surrounded by the glorious #perthshire countryside and there are countless trails and hills to walk. The Tay waterfront is beautiful and picturesqe. The city is also a perfect centre for branching out to other, better cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh - both being no more than an hour away.

I fucking love Perth. I laugh in the face of posters who hail from utter shitholes like Killie and Greenock who have the audacity to slag Perth. Away back to your shanty towns ye minks.

I saw Morrissey play in Perth back in '04, happy days. 

I don't get why folk see things so negatively about places up here, football rivalry is good like but if they are not your rivals what's the point of having a dig? 

Good luck with the bid Perth. 

G-Bo 

I see the local council wanted to demolish Perth City Hall, this was then blocked by Historic Scotland.

When was that building last occupied?  It was put up for a "Pock Mark" award by the "Carbuncle" awards and is now to become some sort of a "visual arts attraction" (i.e. a museum?)

9 hours ago, bob the tank said:

No Walkers in Killie for years m8

Fair enough - but let's pretend the St Johnstone/Kilmarnock Derby is still called the Scotch Whisky Derby all the same for historical reasons.

(BTW: I don't really think it is a derby but don't tell "the saints are coming")

Used to work in Perthshire for 8 years. Which meant I was in Perth city quiet a lot.
As an outsider the people were friendly and helpful, however the place was in dire need of a facelift. This was 10 years ago. The Muirton was just knocked down and new houses were getting build. Which was a good start.
Places like Letham, I liked the y were the real Perth. The 108 bar is that still there? Had a few afternoons in there, much better when you knew a few faces I must admit

I notice that the fans sing "When the Saints go marching in" but then so do fans of St Mirren.

How does that work?

Do you take turns?

Is there some joint committee?

Is there an occasional argument?
"It's our song"
"No it's not"
"We sang it first"
"No you did not"

I suspect you sing in a different key
"Don't want people thinking I'm from f***ing Paisley"

Just curious.

17 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

This.

Was nice to be home last week. Treated myself to a trip to Anstruther for a fish supper on Friday ;) 

Perth however I find disappointing every time I return. My hometown :( 

Still like a pint or two in Christies though ;) 

Christies is a shit pub full of grasses and polis.

Archived