The Irn Bru Cup Attendance Thread: Crowdwank and colts galore

lionel hutz

14 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Welcome to the crowdwank thread for the cup we love to hate.

Before I start, let me just say that Neil Doncaster is a p***k.

The Post-Armageddon Cup Matchday 1:

1. Berwick Rangers 0-3 Spartans - 302
  2. Celtic Colts 5-1 Annan Atheltic - 216 @ Cappielow
  3. Clyde  0-5 Partick Thistle Colts - 351
  4. Cove Rangers 2-1 Dundee Colts - 190 @ Forfar 
  5. East Stirlingshire 0-3 Montrose - 149
  6. Formantine United 2-5 Aberdeen Colts - 305
  7. Inverness Caledonian Thistle Colts 0-3 Arbroath - 296 (was this moved to Clach's ground?)
  8. Motherwell Colts 2-1 Edinburgh City - 402
  9. Queen's Park 5-2 Killie Colts - 299
  10. Ross County Colts 2-3 Brora Rangers - 350
  11. St Johnstone Colts 1-2 Turriff United - 320
  12. Stirling Albion 2-3 Heart of Midlothian Colts - 476

Shite crowds (on the whole) for a shite tournament that should be binned ASAP. 

Reveal hidden contents

Several chairman including our own think that this is a good idea FFS!

Will be updated after Colts vs Colts tomorrow night.

Shite... that is the crowds?!  I thought that was the teams formation ;)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being on PremierSports with need to pay-per-view or subscribe is not quite the same as normal TV arrangements. I don't think its unjustifiable to say, even allowing for that coverage, getting 216 was surprisingly low. Others commented similarly on other thread.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Being on PremierSports with need to pay-per-view or subscribe is not quite the same as normal TV arrangements. I don't think its unjustifiable to say, even allowing for that coverage, getting 216 was surprisingly low. Others commented similarly on other thread.

Don't know what they charged for pay per view but I would imagine if you were an Annan fan it would have been less than the admission and your transport costs for a trip up to Greenock. As for the Celtic fans I suppose they would rather spend their money on watching their 1st team in the Champions League tonight.

I would have thought they would have got a bit more than 216 but not much more.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm surprised anyone is trying to argue that it is anything but an extremely low crowd. Their next match in the competition will be interesting in terms of a comparison. Unless it falls on a day that the first team are playing, there are now zero excuses for not turning up. They got a good result last night and plenty of notice that there is another match in the competition coming up. If there is a similarly low crowd there then it's hard to say anything positive about what these sides are adding to the competition, outside of their own development.

Welcome to the crowdwank thread for the cup we love to hate.

Before I start, let me just say that Neil Doncaster is a p***k.

The Post-Armageddon Cup Matchday 1:
Shite crowds (on the whole) for a shite tournament that should be binned ASAP. 

Spoiler Several chairman including our own think that this is a good idea FFS!

I think introducing an element where young players get development experience of playing senior 1st teams was more the point than attendances me-self.

I just can't see how that can be bad?

Maybe some fans might like to see how their development squads are shaping up against potentially tougher opposition. I'd have thought we all like spotting 'one for the future'. No?

I think it proves a lot of folk don't care much for their teams below first team level.. That's not a dig, it's just a natural reaction.  I include myself in that. I had just watched the Inverness first team beat Abroath 7-0 on Saturday, I didn't really have any desire to watch our 17/18 year olds play the same team on the same pitch 4 days later.

Youth and first team football should never mix in competitive matches.

I think it proves a lot of folk don't care much for their teams below first team level.. That's not a dig, it's just a natural reaction.  I include myself in that. I had just watched the Inverness first team beat Abroath 7-0 on Saturday, I didn't really have any desire to watch our 17/18 year olds play the same team on the same pitch 4 days later.

Youth and first team football should never mix in competitive matches.

Everybody knows you won 7-0 no need to keep bringing it up. ;)

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

I think introducing an element where young players get development experience of playing senior 1st teams was more the point than attendances me-self.

I just can't see how that can be bad?

Maybe some fans might like to see how their development squads are shaping up against potentially tougher opposition. I'd have thought we all like spotting 'one for the future'. No?

Aye, but not in a national cup competition with an entry fee.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

ultimately there was just over 300 at Perth, respectable tbf, off £5 / ST's free IIRC.

On what planet is that in any way respectable?

Its a disgraceful figure for a national cup competition.

I was expecting a deserted Fir Park and a demi-bounce game/pre-season friendly so I was actually surprised at 400 Lanarkshire souls turning up last night and thought "good for them"- it was £5 and £2 to get in.

Perhaps because of the fixture switches or they weren't expecting a crowd but the pie stall was only doing hot dogs last night.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Turriff declared the cancellation of their supporters bus for lack of demand - ultimately there was just over 300 at Perth, respectable tbf, off £5 / ST's free IIRC.

We charged £8 for the game, for some unknown reason. 

7 minutes ago, David W said:

119 at the Colts v Colts game tonight. Better than most people thought.

There was 150 when we played them in a friendly, so whilst I'm impressed it's broken the 100 barrier it's still appalling for a national cup competition.

On the positive side it's fixtures like this that'll have Scotland in the semi-finals of a major tournament in a jiffy.

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I didn't expect it to fall sub-100 like a couple of people had pondered, but I expected it to be better than that. Comfortably the worst-ever crowd in Challenge Cup history, AFAICS.

How much folk actually watch them in a Lowland League game? Out of all the ties this was going to be the one with the lowest crowd.

I think we should also consider that first round ties last season were on a Saturday...this season they are midweek. We all know that makes a difference.

Im not in love with this seasons format...but we have to let it run its course before we can make a final judgement.

I bet the under 20 kids have loved being involved. ..especially the Killie kids playing under the floodlights at the National Stadium.

6 hours ago, conley said:

I think we should also consider that first round ties last season were on a Saturday...this season they are midweek. We all know that makes a difference.

Im not in love with this seasons format...but we have to let it run its course before we can make a final judgement.

I bet the under 20 kids have loved being involved. ..especially the Killie kids playing under the floodlights at the National Stadium.

We really don't. If this is what football fans in Scotland want then it's clearly not for me any more. 

Archived