The Irn Bru Cup Attendance Thread: Crowdwank and colts galore

lionel hutz

Welcome to the crowdwank thread for the cup we love to hate.

Before I start, let me just say that Neil Doncaster is a p***k.

The Post-Armageddon Cup Matchday 1:

1. Berwick Rangers 0-3 Spartans - 302
  2. Celtic Colts 5-1 Annan Atheltic - 216 @ Cappielow
  3. Clyde  0-5 Partick Thistle Colts - 351
  4. Cove Rangers 2-1 Dundee Colts - 190 @ Forfar 
  5. East Stirlingshire 0-3 Montrose - 149
  6. Formantine United 2-5 Aberdeen Colts - 305
  7. Inverness Caledonian Thistle Colts 0-3 Arbroath - 296 
  8. Motherwell Colts 2-1 Edinburgh City - 402
  9. Queen's Park 5-2 Killie Colts - 299
  10. Ross County Colts 2-3 Brora Rangers - 350
  11. St Johnstone Colts 1-2 Turriff United - 320
  12. Stirling Albion 2-3 Heart of Midlothian Colts - 476

Shite crowds (on the whole) for a shite tournament that should be binned ASAP. 

Spoiler

Several chairman including our own think that this is a good idea FFS!

Will be updated after Colts vs Colts tomorrow night.

1. Cumbernauld Colts 0-3 Hamilton Colts - 119 - Probably a record low (ask HJ he'll know)

That;s probably including the players, so thats 97 when excluded

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

299 in a 52,000 seat stadium must have been quite a surreal experience. Like being on a stadium tour with a kickabout on in the background. 

Is this the first year you've watched Scottish football? 

23 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

A lot of the games were free entry or on the season ticket so I suppose

But it's still a shite competition

Absolute donkey of a competition....but the lowest attendance did not include an u20s team so it will be a success and we will be told pay your money etc

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Absolute donkey of a competition....but the lowest attendance did not include an u20s team so it will be a success and we will be told pay your money etc

Wait for tomorrow night, I genuinely think that'll be down to double figures

52 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Here you go. Just look at the difference.

The only comparable games have shite attendances. (265, 304, 344 ..). Diddy cup games get shite crowds. 

Welcome to the crowdwank thread for the cup we love to hate.

Before I start, let me just say that Neil Doncaster is a p***k.

The Post-Armageddon Cup Matchday 1:

1. Berwick Rangers 0-3 Spartans - 302
  2. Celtic Colts 5-1 Annan Atheltic - 216 @ Cappielow
  3. Clyde  0-5 Partick Thistle Colts - 351
  4. Cove Rangers 2-1 Dundee Colts - 190 @ Forfar 
  5. East Stirlingshire 0-3 Montrose - 149
  6. Formantine United 2-5 Aberdeen Colts - 305
  7. Inverness Caledonian Thistle Colts 0-3 Arbroath - 296 (was this moved to Clach's ground?)
  8. Motherwell Colts 2-1 Edinburgh City - 402
  9. Queen's Park 5-2 Killie Colts - 299
  10. Ross County Colts 2-3 Brora Rangers - 350
  11. St Johnstone Colts 1-2 Turriff United - 320
  12. Stirling Albion 2-3 Heart of Midlothian Colts - 476
Shite crowds (on the whole) for a shite tournament that should be binned ASAP. 

Spoiler Several chairman including our own think that this is a good idea FFS!

Will be updated after Colts vs Colts tomorrow night.

Arbroaths game was at the ICT stadium

Not really comparable with last season's first round which included all the chanpionship and League 1 teams in the draw.  Instead, we've put in an extra round against a set of teams (colts) which have no real fanbase beyond friends and families in many cases
If the draw had included the likes of United, Hibs, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Ayr and St Mirren I think it's safe to say that the attendances would have been much greater.

I think the interesting comparison is between Motherwell vs East Stirling (2503) last Tuesday in the LC and Motherwell U-20's vs Edinburgh City (402) last night.

This and the other two home games played by Colts teams (excluding Celtic) show the ties attracted about 10% of the first team home crowd.

Stirling got a strong crowd... and so did Motherwell 'B', although if it hadn't been for their last-minute switches from Airdrie and Falkirk it would probably have been considerably lower. I also thought the Ross County 'B' crowd was reasonable.

Many of the other crowds were very poor however. There is no way you would have been expecting barely over 200 at Celtic 'B', and Inverness 'B' didn't even get 300 despite it being entirely free. Clyde and Queen's Park appear to have set record lows for competitive games at their home grounds and even the 2 matches without 'B' teams in them posted poor (and in Shire's case desperate) turn-outs. As I noted elsewhere, for the first time in a couple of years no-one I knew wanted to go to Berwick's game - some would "not watch a youth cup".

Couple of interesting points on HL teams. Formartine were tweeting that people should arrive early for their game with Aberdeen 'B' due to a large crowd being expected - ultimately it only just squeezed over 300. Turriff declared the cancellation of their supporters bus for lack of demand - ultimately there was just over 300 at Perth, respectable tbf, off £5 / ST's free IIRC.

21 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Stirling got a strong crowd... and so did Motherwell 'B', although if it hadn't been for their last-minute switches from Airdrie and Falkirk it would probably have been considerably lower. I also thought the Ross County 'B' crowd was reasonable.

Many of the other crowds were very poor however. There is no way you would have been expecting barely over 200 at Celtic 'B', and Inverness 'B' didn't even get 300 despite it being entirely free. Clyde and Queen's Park appear to have set record lows for competitive games at their home grounds and even the 2 matches without 'B' teams in them posted poor (and in Shire's case desperate) turn-outs. As I noted elsewhere, for the first time in a couple of years no-one I knew wanted to go to Berwick's game - some would "not watch a youth cup".

Couple of interesting points on HL teams. Formartine were tweeting that people should arrive early for their game with Aberdeen 'B' due to a large crowd being expected - ultimately it only just squeezed over 300. Turriff declared the cancellation of their supporters bus for lack of demand - ultimately there was just over 300 at Perth, respectable tbf, off £5 / ST's free IIRC.

What sort of crowd would you have expected at the Celtic v Annan game. It was live on the telly not much incentive for fans of either side to go if they could watch it from the comfort of their own home.

Archived