The Irn Bru Cup Attendance Thread: Crowdwank and colts galore

lionel hutz

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Cove occasionally put together a crowd, but they've spent the last year on the road and even though we're only halfway through August, they've done some amount of travelling already this season due to their lack of a home ground and participation in group stages of cups and the like. They took about twenty-odd last night, I think, looking from where I was standing. Their home crowds at Inverurie are pretty solid, but the attendances for Highland League games have nosedived of late due to the works teams wasting everyone elses time

Don't want to sidetrack the topic - but what are attendances generally like overall in the Highland League? Discounting home fans I get the impression Wick and Buckie seem to get decent crowds (200+ most games?) with more for bigger/ derby games, at the other end Rothes, Strathspey, Fort William etc. get 50 on a good day with the rest between 50 and 150 or so depending on opposition/ form/ league position?

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Announced attendance and actual attendance are often two very different things given that non-attending season ticket holders and unused comp tickets can be factored in when clubs are keen to boost numbers up to appear respectable in the newspapers. This also isn't really a derby fans of either club have ever cared about that much. For Accies the local rival that is taken seriously is Motherwell and for Albion Rovers it is Airdrie, while Airdrie and Motherwell tend to take each other more seriously as derby rivals than their immediate neighbours, hence 1000+ showing up at their game. The numbers for the colt team games were less than stellar overall, but they were far from catastrophic, and the on-field performance has been reasonable, so I think the people who want to introduce colt teams into the lower tiers of the senior grade's pyramid in a manner similar to what happens in a lot of continental countries, because they see it as the way ahead in player development terms will see this experiment as a success so far.

You would have got a true crowd from games last night as you have to give opponents a share of the gate.

4 hours ago, smuggfifer said:

I do believe if Cove could get a stadium in their hometown or Portlethen, they could attract a decent support in the lower leagues.

They didn't muster a decent support when they played in Cove before.  Literally about 30 of them made the trip to play us at Forfar. 

Turriff v Montrose - 180
Arbroath v East Fife - 335
Rangers 'B' v Stenhousemuir - 324

No idea what Turriff get normally but as low as 180 surprises.

Despite no first-team game this week and Stenny being a bigger name than Stirling Uni, crowd at Rangers 'B' was down 35%. 

For all the Arbroath fans bluster about 'boycotting' games against the Colt sides, they can't even be bothered to turn up to a game at home to a higher division league side in a fixture that would have been commonplace in the old format. 

For all the Arbroath fans bluster about 'boycotting' games against the Colt sides, they can't even be bothered to turn up to a game at home to a higher division league side in a fixture that would have been commonplace in the old format. 

It's not the old format though

No difficult Stewart

6 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

I think the boycott was the whole competition, no? I won't be going to any Dunfermline match in the tournament because of the changes.

:1eye

Well it makes your point completely invalid

It would've been common place in the old format aye, but this isn't the old format, this is a new format, a new format that's totally stupid and ridiculous

Just cause your team got punted out your favourite competition don't start getting moody with everybody Stewart

Surely the best action would be to boost the crowd for the "traditional" games, and boycott the Colts games, so the authorities could see the difference between the two? All thats happened here is "normal" games are having just as shite crowds as the Colt games.

15 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Don't want to sidetrack the topic - but what are attendances generally like overall in the Highland League? Discounting home fans I get the impression Wick and Buckie seem to get decent crowds (200+ most games?) with more for bigger/ derby games, at the other end Rothes, Strathspey, Fort William etc. get 50 on a good day with the rest between 50 and 150 or so depending on opposition/ form/ league position?

Traditionally the derbies naturally got big crowds, not so sure nowadays though. I remember a title decider between Buckie and Deveronvale about 5 years ago was well over 1,000/.

Archived