Sportscene Watch 2016/17

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7.30 Is a much better time than 10.30. Not just the time of the show that matters, the running of the show Is garbage.

Maybe do a goal of the month competition?

Better Interviews that last more than 5 seconds.

Pundits Instead of players that retired a season before.

The pundits that have not long been retired are much much much much better than the old timers.

1 hour ago, stevethedog said:

What was the name of that docu they did on the state of scottish football and why we're not producing international class players anymore?

Can't find it on iplayer or anything about it for the life of me.

Trying to procrastinate here.

The one with Jim traynor is called A match for Europe, the new one that comes out this month is called Scotland's Game

ETA: Here's a clip: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00pngjl

Not Sportscene admittedly, but BBC Scotland news.

On the eve of the new season, why bother having a look at each of the teams or even a look at the opening fixtures when you can broadcast a short Sevco propaganda film instead? Almost the entire sport slot was dedicated to Rangers' "return".

Roy MacGregor and Les Gray were brought on and both could barely hide their hard-ons for "The return of Rangers". They also wheeled out some no-mark from some Scottish sporting body who said that people in England have regarded Scottish football as "on pause" since Rangers were "demoted" and that tomorrow will see the "play" button pressed again.

Absolutely pathetic.

On the eve of the new season, why bother having a look at each of the teams or even a look at the opening fixtures when you can broadcast a short Sevco propaganda film instead? Almost the entire sport slot was dedicated to Rangers' "return".

Roy MacGregor and Les Gray were brought on and both could barely hide their hard-ons for "The return of Rangers". They also wheeled out some no-mark from some Scottish sporting body who said that people in England have regarded Scottish football as "on pause" since Rangers were "demoted" and that tomorrow will see the "play" button pressed again.

Absolutely pathetic.

I had a horrible feeling we were going to get some one from every club fluffing them.

Absolutely pathetic.

Yeah watched it too and was utterly baffled.

It just astounds me the amount of people they wheel out to talk down 40 clubs in the country.

I fucking hate sky and what they've done to football but I at least recognise they're a very successful commercial entity.

Bbc is a public body ffs. Scandalous from them.

You're right - we're the compete opposite to Sky and their promotion of the English game. We actively talk our own product down at every opportunity. 

When that no-mark made his comments about what the English think of our game I nearly put my foot through the tele. 

"What will England think?" - is one of the single most infuriating things about those running and reporting on our game. I struggle to imagine those responsible for the Danish, Belgian and Polish leagues keeping themselves awake at night with worry about how the Germans percieve their game.

Its just another manifestation of the "Scottish cringe" I suppose.

You're right - we're the compete opposite to Sky and their promotion of the English game. We actively talk our own product down at every opportunity. 

When that no-mark made his comments about what the English think of our game I nearly put my foot through the tele. 

"What will England think?" - is one of the single most infuriating things about those running and reporting on our game. I struggle to imagine those responsible for the Danish, Belgian and Polish leagues keeping themselves awake at night with worry about how the Germans percieve their game.

Its just another manifestation of the "Scottish cringe" I suppose.

'All the decisions on Scottish football media are made within the M25'

f**k off you absolute fucking cuntbucket.

Ok so I'm not over last night yet.

I couldn't give a f**k what they say. It actually makes the last few years better knowing these cretins have been furious for the entire time.

Refer to Rangers in England and the first thought is QPR. Scottish football is right up there with the National League, Irish and Welsh football in English eyes.

19 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

who said that people in England have regarded Scottish football as "on pause" since Rangers were "demoted"

Pretty irrelevant long before that all happened. 

I'm not convinced that Sunday teatime is much of an improvement on later evening - in my case I will probably miss it more than I would previously - but others may disagree, and I'm guessing they're expecting improved viewing figures.

However - this talk of improved production values, budgets and so on will make little difference unless they address the fundamental weekly failings which people complained about. Shortage of camera angles at "smaller" games was only one of many grumbles.

Others included: excessive focus on OF; minimal coverage of "smaller" games; sub-standard pundits; useless anchors; sloppy graphics; glaring factual inaccuracies; and so on. Perhaps additional budgets = additional staffing = better preparation, proof-checking, etc. but a lot of it is was decried as poor professionalism, editorial decision-making and "jobs for the boys" pundit recruitment, which increased resourcing doesn't necessarily eradicate.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm not convinced that Sunday teatime is much of an improvement on later evening - in my case I will probably miss it more than I would previously - but others may disagree, and I'm guessing they're expecting improved viewing figures.

However - this talk of improved production values, budgets and so on will make little difference unless they address the fundamental weekly failings which people complained about. Shortage of camera angles at "smaller" games was only one of many grumbles.

Others included: excessive focus on OF; minimal coverage of "smaller" games; sub-standard pundits; useless anchors; sloppy graphics; glaring factual inaccuracies; and so on. Perhaps additional budgets = additional staffing = better preparation, proof-checking, etc. but a lot of it is was decried as poor professionalism, editorial decision-making and "jobs for the boys" pundit recruitment, which increased resourcing doesn't necessarily eradicate.

Above all, as with all BBC Scotland football coverage, the greatest need is more care.

That might well be related to budget of course, but it's also probably more fundamental.

Archived