Sportscene Watch 2016/17

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind the dubbed commentary (I imagine it would cost too much to do it live) but it does annoy me when they say things that you know they would only say when they know the outcome.

E.g. If a game is 3-0, then the away team get a goal and they say something like 'they last time *away team* came back from three goals down to get a draw was back in x year' and you know they wouldn't bother looking up that stat unless they already knew that the score would end up 3-3. 'Or *random midfielder' hasn't scored a goal in three games, he'll be looking to get one today' and he scores a goal.

Another thing that irritates me about football highlights generally (everywhere seems to do this not just sportscene) is that they don't have the time next to the score on the screen. Particularly when you don't know the score of a particular match, if there is an attack in the second half when a team is 1 down it's hard to tell sometimes whether this is last chance situation or if there is still 25 minutes to go.

33 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I don't mind the dubbed commentary (I imagine it would cost too much to do it live) but it does annoy me when they say things that you know they would only say when they know the outcome.

Not really. The BBC already have reporters there for both Sportscene and Sportsound. Instead of duplication there, allocate the Sportscene reporters to commentary and use the Sportsound reporters for both, even if it means someone goes silent on OAM for 10 seconds.

Another thing that irritates me about football highlights generally (everywhere seems to do this not just sportscene) is that they don't have the time next to the score on the screen. Particularly when you don't know the score of a particular match, if there is an attack in the second half when a team is 1 down it's hard to tell sometimes whether this is last chance situation or if there is still 25 minutes to go.

A proper clock would be jarring as it jumps about. But MOTD shows the minute next to the score after each cut (i.e. "5 mins", "14 mins"). That's  a good compromise I think.

A proper clock would be jarring as it jumps about. But MOTD shows the minute next to the score after each cut (i.e. "5 mins", "14 mins"). That's  a good compromise I think.

I'm not sure about that because highlights for most other sports keeps the clock. I'm not sure why football is the exception.

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

I like it when they show a random booking because you know a sending off is coming later!

Unless it's Scott Brown getting booked, which would be a highlight in itself

I like it when they show a random booking because you know a sending off is coming later!

Or actually showing a substitution instead of just having the bit at the bottom referring to it. Sure sign either a goal scorer is coming on or a red card for that player is imminent.

This week there was a clear giveaway in the rangers game. It had a fake 'live' commentary but when the 4th goal went in the guy said something like 'that rounds off the first win for the new manager' but there were only 74 minutes gone...

So Saints won 2-1, had 15 attempts to Motherwell's 16, 6 on target to Wells 5 and 9 corners to Wells 2 yet going by the highlights it was basically all Motherwll. Seems fair.

Aye Jonathon, Richie Foran may have said last week that Partick could be a top four club, chuckle chuckle, and the way things are going they might indeed have half an eye on catching Hearts but so what if they did? That'd only leave them 5th, not 4th, a position now held by St Johnstone, the invisible club. Good grief.

• 2 weeks later...

Canning and Beuzelin are utter rats, straight to the ref to make sure he sends the players off 

Archived