Ayr United v Aberdeen (Betfred Cup Last 16)

mugen_power

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I switched off red tv in the last minute of injury time and put on the BBC commentary so I could hear post-match stuff.

The red tv commentators made it sound like it was fairly comfortable despite only being a goal ahead, but Liam McLeod was talking about Aberdeen only just getting through 'by the skin of their teeth' as if they were extremely lucky. Weird how you can get two very different perspectives on the same game.

In the end, walked away slightly gutted when we really shouldn't have. Even though the ref blew the whistle, had he played on, I think Lewis would have struggled to get to Murphys chip that ended up in...

Few positives from tonight, Forrest and McGuffie were our best players, Cairney didn't do too much wrong, few poor decisions in attacking areas, had he made better turns/touches, could have lead to chances/goals. Let's not kid ourselves, could have been several down, but we held on and battled back into the game. Good to get Gilly back abs I wish Andy Johnstone played down the left when he came on at the end, everything was played down the left and he was stuck out right watching the game.

On the radio after the game you have to laugh at Stevensons comments on McCall, it was verification, if needed, McCall never wanted him here this season.

Good food McKenna to get a good reception, defender I wouldn't mind seeing McInness sending back here this season....

18 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Good to be through to the next round. Sounds like Burns and O'Connor impressed again. In the hat for the inevitable tie at McDiarmid v St Johnstone

you were half right.

certainly not the kind of draw that I wanted, I guess it could be worse but with 4 lower league teams still in the draw its far from ideal.

Fairly enjoyable game. We dominated for the first hour at least and should have been well out of sight. Hit the woodwork 3 times, twice from Burns who was lively throughout. Made it harder for ourselves than it needed to be but we're through and that's all that matters.

Credit to Ayr for coming out and attacking at times, made it into a decent spectacle. We fell out of it in the last 20 or so, the ball went up to Stockley but wasn't sticking. The weather played its part and it didn't help that it was out third game in 6 days.

First time at Somerset and I have to say it's a cracking old ground. What it lacks in adequate toilet facilities it more than makes up for in character and its a shame we don't have more stadiums like that still around.

In the end, walked away slightly gutted when we really shouldn't have. Even though the ref blew the whistle, had he played on, I think Lewis would have struggled to get to Murphys chip that ended up in...

Few positives from tonight, Forrest and McGuffie were our best players, Cairney didn't do too much wrong, few poor decisions in attacking areas, had he made better turns/touches, could have lead to chances/goals. Let's not kid ourselves, could have been several down, but we held on and battled back into the game. Good to get Gilly back abs I wish Andy Johnstone played down the left when he came on at the end, everything was played down the left and he was stuck out right watching the game.

On the radio after the game you have to laugh at Stevensons comments on McCall, it was verification, if needed, McCall never wanted him here this season.

Good food McKenna to get a good reception, defender I wouldn't mind seeing McInness sending back here this season....

Whilst I agree with you re our best players, although I'd include Crawford too, you're having a laugh about Cairney. Lost the ball fannying about at the edge of our box which led to the second goal and then blew a great chance in the second half, again taking an age to get the ball under control. In between all he did was give the ball away or fail to tackle.

Aberdeen should have had the game out of sight by half time but at least we made a game of it second half. Missed a few decent chances too.

17 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

What was Stevenson saying?!

Chased shadows the first half hour and Burns ran the show for Aberdeen. Our goal came from nothing but delighted with the response second half.

Forrest is already looking a huge player for us this season but he needs help.

Well what a strange game that was.

Havent seen us stroll a game like we did for first 40 mins. Could have been 4 or 5 easily. Ayr were dire.

Second half they played how they should have started and although we hit the bar twice and a couple just past the post, Ayr caused us a few more issues.

We really need to start taking our chances.

How the **** did McLean last so long. Really bad performance yet again.

And how did the big Ayr midfielder stay on the pitch was a mystery.

The first half of the first half was laughable.  The Aberdeen centre backs didn't need to be there as Jack was man marking our striker (Thomas).  He never bothered to do the same when Forrest swapped with him though.  

Regardless of opposition the protection offered to the defence was abysmal throughout and is very worrying.  

Forrest and Cairney making poor choices in attacking areas again as well.  

But even with that we at least made a game of it second half when Aberdeen stepped off the pace a bit even if we didn't really create a chance. 

More evidence we need bodies and they have to be starters.  

Archived