Ayr United v Aberdeen (Betfred Cup Last 16)

mugen_power

I'm looking forward to this one, been a good first season back for me in 4 years...hoping that can continue

Never seen us play Aberdeen before either, and where better than under the floodlights (if it gets dark enough, it should, right?) at Somerset in the midweek!

Kind of have my fingers crossed that the Dons rest a lot of players with their busy schedule and European commitments and send a weakened XI and we can sneak something from the tie :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this, nice to be visiting Ayrshire without having to go to Kilmarnock. Can't see us resting too many (we have a bad enough cup-shock record) but we'll see how the next few games pan out.  No time for pre-match pints for me but, would imagine a boozer guide would be helpful if any honest men could oblige.

How much of your League One playoff-winning squad are still featuring for United, Ayr fans, or has it it now much more of a different side after an overhaul pre-Championship? Took in the final second leg at Somerset and that's my only real point of reference to the team of late. 

Would be reasonably pleased with 800 considering it's a Tuesday night after fans have been spending money on Euro games and lots of WoS-based dons won't be back for uni by this point. It's going to be PATG and we should get a decent size of away section to fill. £17 full price but students for a tenner which is nice. 

Looking forward to this one.  Expecting a very tough game and the likelihood is that we will get beat but while we have a home advantage there's always a chance, hope fans turn out for this one as it has the potential to be a cracking game and atmosphere.  Doesn't really matter what kind of team Aberdeen will put out as it will be strong nonetheless, just hoping we can keep it tight at the back - which we have done well so far - and hopefully we can nick something from the game.  

The optimistic side in me says that it will be a 1-1 draw with Ayr winning on penalties.  Mon Ayr!

How much of your League One playoff-winning squad are still featuring for United, Ayr fans, or has it it now much more of a different side after an overhaul pre-Championship? Took in the final second leg at Somerset and that's my only real point of reference to the team of late. 

Too many.

Only 2 or 3 changes to the starting XI.

Thomas up front, Cairney in midfield and Meggatt at the back.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Fully disagree.

Keeping players is how you build a team, and how you strengthen fan connections.

Binning a squad and starting from scratch is horrible.

Look at our last 2 terms in the second tier. Reid rebuilt the squads and we fell flat on our face.

I'd play our strongest team. I hate it when our fans want to play some fringe/young players to give them game time in cup games. Surely logic dictates do that in the league...there's 38 league games but only one crack at a cup match/tie.

Expecting a tough match.  We have not won a domestic cup tie since October 2014, constantly receiving nasty away draws in the early rounds.

We rested a couple yesterday and expect more squad rotation in this one, with the yam match on Saturday.

However, the defeat in Europe will likely mean this gets the attention it needs to as had we (deservedly) knocked out Maribor, the city would be buzzing in anticipation of the play-off round next week.  Now we just need to ensure we do enough to get through this one, as doubtless the binman will have his team fired up.

Somerset Park is a proper ground and makes this worth the 350 mile midweek round trip...............

Archived