Motherwell @ Kilmarnock

I see no reason not to maintain the same blind optimism that clouded my judgment through the whole of last season.

An edgy 1 - 0  victory for Killie, a Coulibaly screamer being the decider.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6th August 2016 will go down as Joe Chalmers Day.  A man-of-the-match performance from central midfield, capped off with a late double to seal the three points.

Kilmarnock 0-2 Motherwell (Chalmers x2)

Much as a Joe Chalmers start in midfield excites me (as it did for the 45 mins I was Tynecastle when McGhee first tried it) - I assumed that as we've got 2 "trialists" signed up until the end of August (right?) - then if they are fit, one of them surely needs to play? 

Quite looking forward to the real stuff starting again but I wasn't expecting so early on,  the P&B nightmare where all the 'Well fans are confident and all the opposition fans are convinced they'll be beaten. Home win.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Really looking forward to this one. The fixture list usually gives us a day out at Rugby Park at this time of year and invariably it's a beautiful sunny day, so hopefully this year will be no exception.

Kilmarnock have taken a risk by signing so many new and young players who are unproven at this level. The early signs in the League Cup have hardly been encouraging with the exception of Coulibaly who seems to have hit the ground running. As for our own League Cup campaign, it's been a professional job with ultimately comfortable victories over the three part-time sides; although it's hard to use this as any real benchmark for our league prospects, there have been some promising signs with the likes of Cadden and Johnson in particular impressing.

As for our line up, I'd imagine we'll go with:

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden McHugh Clay

Ainsworth McDonald Johnson

We have recorded 1-0 victories in our opening league game in each of the last three years and I'll predict that trend to continue against an unfamiliar new look Kilmarnock side.

Missing this as I'm working on Saturday - will listen on the radio with what I expect will be mounting horror, as I'm ever the pessimist and having seen the Morton and Albion games, we don't look anywhere near a team yet. Hope to be wrong, as ever.

We can't get pumped 4-0 at home on the opening day two years on the trot, can we? :unsure: 

On 2 August 2016 at 22:35, Busta Nut said:

Clay will play

Is that a great idea though? 

Unless we're in the process of signing him to a proper contract, I can't say the idea of playing Clay in a game like this sits well with me. 

Then again, the only other likely option is to play Joe Chalmers in there and that doesn't exactly thrill me either.

Whilst I've been relatively pleased with our recruitment so far, Lasley's suspension highlights just how short we are in the middle of the park. One player missing and we have to resort to playing a 'trialist' or a left back in there.

I'm also pretty unsure on the whole Clay/Lucas situation.  You either sign him for the season (or even six months) and play him or decide against signing him and letting him go.

With Lasley out, it does leave quite a gap in there.  However, it's been well documented that Kilmarnock have a number of new players in their side.  The majority of which have very little (if any) first team experience.  Would this not then be an ideal opportunity for Allan Campbell to come into the side?  The team facing him shouldn't faze him in anyway.  Tell him to sit in the middle of the park alongside McHugh and keep things simple.  There will be four players ahead of him, Cadden, Ainsworth, Johnson and McDonald, who have enough about them to do some damage in the final third.

I'd much prefer that gamble to the unfancied Joe Chalmers (despite the comedy prediction earlier).

11 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'm also pretty unsure on the whole Clay/Lucas situation.  You either sign him for the season (or even six months) and play him or decide against signing him and letting him go.

With Lasley out, it does leave quite a gap in there.  However, it's been well documented that Kilmarnock have a number of new players in their side.  The majority of which have very little (if any) first team experience.  Would this not then be an ideal opportunity for Allan Campbell to come into the side?  The team facing him shouldn't faze him in anyway.  Tell him to sit in the middle of the park alongside McHugh and keep things simple.  There will be four players ahead of him, Cadden, Ainsworth, Johnson and McDonald, who have enough about them to do some damage in the final third.

I'd much prefer that gamble to the unfancied Joe Chalmers (despite the comedy prediction earlier).

I think we'd all prefer to see Campbell get his chance over shoehorning Chalmers in there.

However you'd argue the perfect time to give him his debut would actually have been during one of the three matches we've just played against part time teams in the league cup. The fact he never played a single minute and wasn't even in the squad for three of the four games would suggest to me he won't be playing here and isn't in McGhee's plans just yet.

Chalmers on the other hand started one and came on in two of the other cup games, so I fully expect him to start here if Clay's situation is still unresolved. 

Clark has shrunk the pitch, last minute. Presumably to contain the rampant pace of Johnson and Ainsworth against his Sunday League team.

And for some reason players have to wear suits, because it's important to look good while you're taking a shoeing.

Archived