Ra Sellick v Motherwell

Very convincing display from Celtic tonight, top marks to Rogic, Sinclair (and dare I say it... Forrest!).

Motherwell were absolute dogshite though, didn't cause any real problems to a makeshift defence.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This transformation in this team is night & day. I don't understand the negative comments from Motherwell fans and the like. We simply ripped them a new one & it should've been a whole lot worse for them.

We are getting stronger with each passing day since Rodgers took over. Even when we brought the youth players on we still looked more than comfortable.

This transformation in this team is night & day. I don't understand the negative comments from Motherwell fans and the like. We simply ripped them a new one & it should've been a whole lot worse for them.

We are getting stronger with each passing day since Rodgers took over. Even when we brought the youth players on we still looked more than comfortable.

You don't understand why Motherwell fans are negative about getting beat 5-0?

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

We must've put in about four tackles in that game. 

We were rank, and we'll beaten by a bang average celtic side. 

We were rank. That much is true.

What we saw last night was a manifestation of the widening gap. Whilst Celtic go out and get a decent manager and pay £3.5m for one player we have had to cut our budget for 3rd year in a row. 

Some teams will play better than us at Parkhead (won't be too hard) but others will get a similar doing. Rogers is many multiples a better Manager than Delia. I see less lapses and crisis from Celtic this season.

Getting Rangers in group stage and Celtic away in next round was pretty tough and worse than any other top flight club. But as Alloa, QOS and Morton proved you could easily lose to poorer sides than Celtic. At least there were 20,000 at the game which means a few pennies and almost makes up for having been given only 2 home games v Old firm pre split in the league. 

Well deserved win for Celtic last night, could have been a few more if not for Samson. Can't understand why Motherwell started so negatively and stood off so much though, after watching Hearts get right in their faces on Sunday I would have expected Motherwell to at least try the same. As it was they sat back and took an absolute humping.

Hard to pick a MOTM for Celtic as everyone from the midfield forward played well. Only worry for them is that they are clearly going backwards. Deila's Celtic side took 7 off Motherwell at the end of last season...

Can't understand why Motherwell started so negatively and stood off so much though.

I think this is what a lot of Motherwell fans are struggling with.
Sitting in and inviting pressure was only ever going to end one way. Hoping that Sinclair, Dembele etc all had a mare was a tad naive.
Seen shitebag performances like that against the Of far too many times.
At least have the courage to play our game and have a go. If it doesn't work, fair do's

49 minutes ago, Richie said:

I think this is what a lot of Motherwell fans are struggling with.
Sitting in and inviting pressure was only ever going to end one way. Hoping that Sinclair, Dembele etc all had a mare was a tad naive.
Seen shitebag performances like that against the Of far too many times.
At least have the courage to play our game and have a go. If it doesn't work, fair do's

Pretty much this.  It just made no sense to me whatsoever, in a one-off cup tie, to play 5 at the back and sit and invite pressure.

Yes, Celtic are miles better than us, but have a go FFS!  It wouldn't have been any worse than what happened last night.

Losing to Celtic doesn't bother me (i've seen plenty of them in my time) but it's the manner of the defeat, and the so-called "performance" that does my tits in.  

I stick up for McGhee whenever I can, because over the piece he's done a great job at Motherwell, but that last night simply cannot be defended.  

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

We were rank. That much is true.

What we saw last night was a manifestation of the widening gap. Whilst Celtic go out and get a decent manager and pay £3.5m for one player we have had to cut our budget for 3rd year in a row. 

Some teams will play better than us at Parkhead (won't be too hard) but others will get a similar doing. Rogers is many multiples a better Manager than Delia. I see less lapses and crisis from Celtic this season.

Getting Rangers in group stage and Celtic away in next round was pretty tough and worse than any other top flight club. But as Alloa, QOS and Morton proved you could easily lose to poorer sides than Celtic. At least there were 20,000 at the game which means a few pennies and almost makes up for having been given only 2 home games v Old firm pre split in the league. 

Sorry, nah, that's bollocks.

We made a few more pennies? 

We did well because we didn't get fucked out by Alloa, and instead got fucked out by Celtic? 

Rodgers is better than Deila so it's okay?

Is that you Mark?

Everyone in the league and everyone in Scotland knows that Celtic's weakness is defending. Hearts had a go at the weekend and showed that there's joy to be had there. We looked good going forward against Kilmarnock at the weekend, and continued to look shite defensively. Deciding that yes, in this one off cup tie that we'll sit in and try and defend for 90 minutes is a nonsense decision.

Yes, Celtic were good, and absolutely bodied us, but I'm unconvinced that we even made it difficult for them to do that to us when we stood off and watched them play around us as we got deeper and deeper. Shitebag performance.

Celtic are a very good side and in Sinclair, Logic & Forrest who ripped us up for toilet paper last night, they will dish out a good few hammering this year.

However, we can't concern ourselves with what other side's do and we can't just shrug our shoulders and meekly accept it beforehand, as our 'manager' did last night. 

Celtic are better than us, of course they are but it's a Cup tie, so what's the point in going there and playing damage limitation from the word go? We'd more than likely still have been beaten regardless, but at least attempt to win the game ffs! Its all so predictable but doesn't make it any easier to stomach.

As for McGhee, I've said it before and I'll say it again, that clown should be no where near our club. His latest speech about how Celtic play like us but with "really good players" is just the latest in a long line of ridiculous quotes which undermine the club and players, no doubt in an effort to show what he's got to deal with in his job, ie. working with poor players(even though he signed a fair few of them)he don't expect anything from games against sides with "really good players". That mustve been great motivation for our players before a game like that.

The sooner Strachan fucks up Scotland's World Cup bid and gets the bullet allowing his pal to take the job on a full time basis the better.

You don't understand why Motherwell fans are negative about getting beat 5-0?

I can understand their disappointment, but I don't understand why they are playing the blame game. We are a better team, better players and on the night it wasn't so much a case of them getting their tactics wrong or playing badly, we simply were just too good for them.

Everyone in the league and everyone in Scotland knows that Celtic's weakness is defending.

Last seasons Celtic, yes. This season our defence has looked pretty solid. Yes there was the goal lost to Red Imps but it was Rodgers first competitive game in all fairness. He's worked on that & I can't think of many times I've been worried about our defence thus far.

Hearts had a go at the weekend and showed that there's joy to be had there.

Hearts, didn't really get joy though. They found the net from their player taking a dive in the box. Other than that, they were restricted to shots from around the edge of the box

1 minute ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Last seasons Celtic, yes. This season our defence has looked pretty solid. Yes there was the goal lost to Red Imps but it was Rodgers first competitive game in all fairness. He's worked on that & I can't think of many times I've been worried about our defence thus far.

Hearts, didn't really get joy though. They found the net from their player taking a dive in the box. Other than that, they were restricted to shots from around the edge of the box

I'd give you that you look better, but it still had some dodgy looking moments against Astana, and similarly, relative to the strength you have in attack, its certainly the weakest area in the team. The wee spell we had at the end of the first half, and the start of the second showed us that we could get at you, which was fine, but we were already two down by that point.

Not taking away from Celtic, like I said, they absolutely dominated us, but a big part of that was us letting them.

I'd give you that you look better, but it still had some dodgy looking moments against Astana, and similarly, relative to the strength you have in attack, its certainly the weakest area in the team. The wee spell we had at the end of the first half, and the start of the second showed us that we could get at you, which was fine, but we were already two down by that point.

Not taking away from Celtic, like I said, they absolutely dominated us, but a big part of that was us letting them.

I get what you mean about the manner of the defeat. Us sitting back to a piss poor The Rangers side in the semi last season still really fucks me off, but that's because we are a better team than them and we set up & played like we were the team trying to set up worrying about them rather than sticking to our own game plan and letting them worry about us.

However, apart from sitting back I don't think Motherwell put a foot wrong in how they played. Yes you're right, we lost a couple of poor goals against Astana...down to Gordon being a bit erratic but again, especially at home, they caused us little in the way of problems at the back. Looking at every goal we've conceded, this season & there have only been the 4, one was a poor refereeing decision and the other 3 were errors (2 by the goalkeeper & 1 by Efe).

However we've now sorted out the defence and apart from Gordon coming rushing out off his line, if the defence deal with that so he doesn't have to, I have no worries about us at the back this season.

I also think that Motherwell will do quite well this season. I think we're going to pump a few teams this season TBH mate.

Archived