Ra Sellick v Motherwell

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, the worst draw we could have got to try and progress.  Still, I'd imagine a League Cup Last-16 tie will be down on the list of priorities for Bhrendan.  

I see a lot of 'Well fans are of the mindset of "ah well, at least we'll make a few quid from the game".  To be honest, I can't really blame them.  I'm not far from that train of thought myself.  I've been a fan of the new League Cup format, and it's just tough luck we've got Celtic away in the first knockout round.  

Let's be honest, if Celtic put out a second string XI, they would still be overwhelming favourites to progress.  Guys like Christie, Allan, Henderson, Janko etc would stroll into the Motherwell team.  f**k, in the last game of last season, they brought on one of the fucking ball boys as sub and even he scored!  

Here's hoping we put a better fight up, but Celtic will progess.  2-1 to the home side.  

That we might make a few extra quid from gate money is of no consolation whatsoever to me, that's for the board and those running the club to worry about, not the support. 

There is nothing to take from drawing Celtic away, nothing atall. The domestic cups are the chance for success for clubs like ours and to draw Celtic at Parkhead, which kills off our chance of that before a ball is even kicked in the knockout stages, is an utter disaster for us.

And we also lost 7-0 there in an end of season dead rubber when they had their reserves out.

We have won only twice at Parkhead in the last eight years and god knows when we last put them out of a Cup, that's why their is so much of a defeatist attitude here. I'd imagine/hope that the majority of Motherwell fans would rather see a Cup run/win over banking a few quid from being draw away to Celtic, as sadly some seem to be wanking themselves into a limp state over, so therefore it's hugely frustrating and disappointing to be given a draw that we have next to no chance of winning.

15 hours ago, MJC said:

And we also lost 7-0 there in an end of season dead rubber when they had their reserves out.

We have won only twice at Parkhead in the last eight years and god knows when we last put them out of a Cup, that's why their is so much of a defeatist attitude here. I'd imagine/hope that the majority of Motherwell fans would rather see a Cup run/win over banking a few quid from being draw away to Celtic, as sadly some seem to be wanking themselves into a limp state over, so therefore it's hugely frustrating and disappointing to be given a draw that we have next to no chance of winning.

It was 1994, since you asked.

Can't get my head around 'well at least we'll get good money', like we're some seaside league no-marks, they lost to a team of taxi drivers a week ago, their centre forward is suspended and they've got about one fit defender. In about them and have a go.

It was 1994, since you asked.

Can't get my head around 'well at least we'll get good money', like we're some seaside league no-marks, they lost to a team of taxi drivers a week ago, their centre forward is suspended and they've got about one fit defender. In about them and have a go.

They've also got Efe.
That's like a goal of a start.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Not liking the defeatist attitudes of some here. It's a terrible draw in that it's arguably the worst away day in the league and it means we have to go there at least three times over the course of the season, and on paper it's the toughest tie we could have had, but to write off our chances before a ball is kicked is ridiculous. We won there last season and should have done so in the relegation play-off season before that when the softest of penalties allowed them to scrape a 1-1 draw. Morton knocked them out of this competition at Parkhead recently and we shouldn't feel like we can't do the same.

We just don't seem to have the bottle or the luck to do what others who have managed to get the better of them in the Cups in recent years.

We all know that in order for us to win this, we need Celtic to have a serious off day, but we never seem to be able to capitalise on it when that happens so if we aren't hammered next week, we will lose out by the odd goal or on penalties after a 'brave' performance. The end result though will be the same, we will still have lost and will still be out of yet another Cup before it's even began in earnest.

Apart from last season when we gave them a goal of a start and beat them at Celtic park.
Apart from that we never capitalise.

I'll await the 'but that wasn't the Betfred cup last 16, its not the same' type pish.

It was a mild downer of a draw and as Bushel says, the worst away day going - but Celtic have been pish in the league cup over the past few years, so nothing to lose. Would usually always go to a cup game like this - but the combination of TV/Utterly shite away end at Parkhead/£15 is tempting...

It doesn't matter what happened last season, that was a one off result; one of only two victories at Celtic Park since the turn of the century! Therefore that would suggest that it doesn't happen very often that we go there and win, and the fact that they'll be eyeing the treble will mean that they will do enough in this tie to beat us. That, coupled with our dismal cup record - not one single victory against a top flight side since April 2011 - means that this will be a write off for us.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

It doesn't matter what happened last season, that was a one off result; one of only two victories at Celtic Park since the turn of the century! Therefore that would suggest that it doesn't happen very often that we go there and win, and the fact that they'll be eyeing the treble will mean that they will do enough in this tie to beat us. That, coupled with our dismal cup record - not one single victory against a top flight side since April 2011 - means that this will be a write off for us.

Ach never mind there's always Rangers ;)

Can't believe the early pessimism from the Motherwell fans. Yes, Celtic will be strong favourites. Yes if both teams play to their best then Celtic should still get a very comfortable victory....but anything can happen in football.

As one poster said, we lost to Lincoln Red Imps. From what I've seen of Motherwell so far, they look like they are pretty decent this season & will be one of the favourites for the top 6, so I'm expecting a tough game against them.

Also, with games like this as a Celtic fan & with a new manager, I'm wondering what his approach will be to a cup game in what is our lowest priority this season. Will he want to win everything & put out a strong team? Will he see it as a chance to rest some of the established players to save them for the CL qualifiers & give some squad players a game to see what they can do...& that doesn't always end well, just look at our defeat to Morton under Lenny when he did it.

Overall though, I'm confident of coming through a tough game & reckon we'll win 2-0.

11 hours ago, Desp said:

Happy to be corrected, but I believe Celtic's last treble was in 2000/01, at the end of O'Neill's first season.

You are correct.  Only the third time we achieved such a feat.

Archived