Alloa Athletic v Inverness

TheScarf

He was booked for aggressive behaviour  to the lino 

I hate to stick up for Wasps 1 but that would easily fall under "dissent by word or action" which is a cautionable offence and it certainly looked like that was what Spence got booked for. There's some grade A pedantry going on in continuing to take him to task on that point.

Having said that there's absolutely no chance of it being rescinded. I'm fairly sure that you can't appeal a booking, plus Spence was absolutely bang to rights regardless of whether the original offside decision was correct or not.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dink said:

I hate to stick up for Wasps 1 but that would easily fall under "dissent by word or action" which is a cautionable offence and it certainly looked like that was what Spence got booked for. There's some grade A pedantry going on in continuing to take him to task on that point.

Having said that there's absolutely no chance of it being rescinded. I'm fairly sure that you can't appeal a booking, plus Spence was absolutely bang to rights regardless of whether the original offside decision was correct or not.

With all due respect, the original point I was raising was that "the ref being wrong" doesn't constitute grounds for appeal against a caution (which pretty clearly was for dissent). Your second paragraph is all that has to be said on that one - the first post that mentioned the appeal was just a bit daft.

W1 jumped in and missed the point that I was making. So it's not pedantry for the sake of it*; rather it's a manifestation of slight annoyance at another Roger Irrelevant interjection from the king of the genre.

* Nothing wrong with that: it's often a lack of basic pedantry that leads the pundits to take refs to task, saying things like "We've seen them given!", when they often mean "If you ignore some of the important details in this event, then we've seen similar things given!" ;)

With all due respect, the original point I was raising was that "the ref being wrong" doesn't constitute grounds for appeal against a caution (which pretty clearly was for dissent). Your second paragraph is all that has to be said on that one - the first post that mentioned the appeal was just a bit daft.

W1 jumped in and missed the point that I was making. So it's not pedantry for the sake of it*; rather it's a manifestation of slight annoyance at another Roger Irrelevant interjection from the king of the genre.

* Nothing wrong with that: it's often a lack of basic pedantry that leads the pundits to take refs to task, saying things like "We've seen them given!", when they often mean "If you ignore some of the important details in this event, then we've seen similar things given!" [emoji6]

True, I can't really disagree with any of that but it did seem as though others were jumping on Wasps 1 for stating that Spence got booked for adopting an aggressive attitude. That just seemed a bit harsh when there's so much that Wasps 1 says that he does deserve to be pulled up on, not least in the original post which sparked this side discussion.

How dare you stick up for him! :angry:

;)

17 hours ago, CowdenConvert said:

You still don't get it :lol:

I think you'll find that W1 is very much in the know, and it's the rest of us that don't get it. Indeed, if you hang around long enough you may catch more pearls of insider wisdom falling from his keyboard.

And all opinions carry that guarantee of being 100% correct. Whether or not they're tripe.

At lease it's light relief when he's discussing imaginary cautionable offences: when it comes to the L1 match threads I fear it will again be a case of the other Alloa fans on here attempting damage limitation from his pronouncements.

:lol:

All bookings for the group games should BE void as 4 teams entering the competition have not even played a game so far.

All players in the last sixteen should start with a clean sheet of bookings. Only fair!!

Aye so, the game tommorow eh lads?

We were apparently absolutely aids against Thistle at the weekend.  Our 2 wingers were marked out the game so if Alloa do the same, we need to drop Polworth and start Draper to be the extra man/bulldozer in the centre.

We were horrible against Partick.  They doubled up on Mulreany and had a solid back line and midfield that meant we created, basically, nothing.  Polworth was bypassed completely and Vigurs looked poor, gave away a stupid, needless free kick which lead to the second goal.

Draper has to come back, he drives to team forward and adds so much to us in the middle.  this is a very dangerous game, Alloa have been flying so far and will think they can win this - and they are right, they can.  In games like this you just need to establish that yourself and not allow the lower league side into contention.  Draper and Tansey dominating the middle will give us the best chance of doing this.

Looking forward to this game. Will need the squad to play their part to win the contest, whether after 90mins, 120 mins or pens.

If Alloa can start the way they did v Ross County the quarter final will be on the cards.

Big ask for Alloa to respond to  going behind as in the real games it has not  happened this season.

.Tight game with the first goal being crucial.

Mon the WASPIES, You can do it!!!!!

With Alloa having the artificial surface, I wonder if it will have some bearing on team selection? McNaughton, Doran, Meekings all have recently recovered from knee injuries that they'll be keen to avoid aggravating. 

3 hours ago, RossP said:

With Alloa having the artificial surface, I wonder if it will have some bearing on team selection? McNaughton, Doran, Meekings all have recently recovered from knee injuries that they'll be keen to avoid aggravating. 

We've just relaid our pitch, and the surface is much improved. 

Not sure if that makes any difference, artificial is artificial after all- but if your manager wouldnt rest them away to Killie or Accies in the league, I cant see the need to rest them here.

Draper vs Goodwin should be pretty entertaining if it occurs.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one. Expecting a cracking cup tie tonight.

We'll need to perform at the level we did against Ross Co and also take our chances. With Kirkpatrick on four goals, and Spence and Layne on three there's plenty confidence in front of goal. Good that Kevin Cawley got off the mark at the weekend too.

16 hours ago, RossP said:

BBC 'preview' suggests that Doran and Meekings will have limited, if any, involvement in the game tonight.

I suspect we might see either Polworth or Vigurs dropping out for Draper to come back in but other than that I wouldn't imagine we will make any other changes. We don't really have too many options anyway.

Archived