Alloa Athletic v Inverness

TheScarf

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post from Chris. Not really much else to add other than we seemed utterly intent on trying to force the ball up the middle of the pitch which was bizarre given that we actually have wingers for the first time in forever to try and whip crosses in. In the second half especially, after Doran had come on and King was switched to the right flank (presumably to stop him cutting inside all the time from the left) we still tried to go right down the throat of the Alloa side and with Goodwin in there that was always going to be a tall order. Really strange that we didn't try and stretch Alloa more by playing with more width but given how excellent they were last night in a defensive sense I think they still would have held firm quite easily.

The second half was like one of those overload training exercises given how much of the ball we had and how often we were camped in the Alloa side of the pitch. That said, it is also an exercise we would have failed badly at given how wasteful we were with the ball.

Over the course of the 90 minutes I can recall a good shot in the first half from Polworth, a Vigurs (half?) volley in the second after a Fisher knock down and a late effort poked wide by Vigurs and that was it really. Fifteen shots on goal and only two on target. That's very poor.

I thought Alloa were superb. You can argue they didn't offer too much in an attacking sense particularly in the second half but they were fantastic across the back completely neutralising our (limited) attacking play and their midfield dominated for most of the game although we got a wee bit of an edge back when Draper came on. Still, all the possession we had is only good if you do something with it. Our wasteful attacking play meant we didn't deserve to go through and Alloa rightly progressed. Good luck in the next round.

EDIT: By the way, pies in rolls - what the fuck!? :lol:

Not a massive shock given our delicate state at the moment and Alloa have beaten some good sides at the Recs in the last couple of years. 

My first visit in over 13 years, doesn't time fly.

Good luck to the Wasps, given a home draw and avoiding the ugly sisters, could make the last 4.

9 hours ago, Wasps1 said:

The Wasps sting again great result for the club 

Who do we want next.  Honestly dosent matter 

Rangers or Celtic away for the cash 

Or you can get one of the others at home and have a good chance of making the semi final.

7 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Or you can get one of the others at home and have a good chance of making the semi final.

The cups don't mean anything to Wasps1.

Happily avoid the ugly sisters and get a Championship side at home. 

Archived