Hibernian Vs Queen Of The South - League cup 2nd Round

Dobbie may well get the headlines but that was a fine team effort with touches of individual skill which were a joy to see.

Hibs could have won two or three games with their chances in the first hour but didn't come close to being as clinical as we were with ours.

Great finish to the game and I am finding it difficult to maintain my usual pessimism.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Excellent second half from Queens. Hibs the better team by a distance in the first and should have been more than one ahead at the break, but the introduction of Dobbie turned the game. We got into a few good positions in the first half but lacked quality in the final third.

Dobbie is still quality: great touch and control, and he brought much needed guile and composure to the team.

I really liked the look of Dykes  - he's raw, but is big, strong, pacy and unorthodox. He will cause a lot of problems this term and a great move by the club to sign him up on a longer contract. With Anderson on the right we have height on both flanks and look dangerous at set pieces.

Robinson was outstanding, some superb saves throughout, with one tip over the bar in the second half particularly brilliant. I like his positivity and his ability to quickly set up attacks with fast throw outs and sweeper-esque searching balls to the wings looks likely to produce dividends this year with the personnel we've got.

I like the directness of this team, much more threatening than last season. We look to be very dangerous on the counter attack. Pace, strength and height are real assets at this level. Have to say that Brotherston was highly impressive too, a huge upgrade on Hamill when he came on. Very promising looking player, another with a nice turn of pace.

This is a much improved Hibs team than in recent seasons, but we caused them more problems tonight than in the previous 4 games at Easter Road combined. Cautiously optimistic for the season ahead.

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but last night wasn't a much improved team over last season. 

Playing a back 3 and a defensive mid was the main problem for me.  Bartley is a good player but he slows everything down and allows the opposing team to get everyone back to defend,  add to that the fact that McGinn was awful and it meant that we had no drive from midfield at all!! Can't see why we played with at least one wide player all through pre season and then start the season without one! We also took too long to change things when it was obvious it wasn't working!!  Queens were lucky to still be in the game at half time but their second half display was excellent and they were everything we needed to be!! Hopefully it's given us a kick up the backside and something to think about before the weekend!! 

Good luck to Queens in the rest of the competition!  

I'm not convinced either, a wee bit of luck is what it took last night! We will lose more than we will win with these players.

You're not good at it and are in fact quite boring. Give it up.

8 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

I don't know how holt missed that one at the back post. Keatings freekick looked destined to go in too. Thought Keatings was our best player by a mile last night. Don't think Bartley and McGinn works in the same midfield

yeah I'd agree, I don't think Bartley should be in the team when we play three CB's.  Gray and Stevenson are more defensively minded so it leads to an imbalance in the team.  I don't know how McGinn managed to stay on for the entire game either, he was terrible! We had creative players on the bench so I have no clue why he didn't change it up! 

42 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

I don't know how holt missed that one at the back post. Keatings freekick looked destined to go in too. Thought Keatings was our best player by a mile last night. Don't think Bartley and McGinn works in the same midfield

That chance looked easier to score tbh.  He missed another good chance 2nd half too.  Still think he looks good linking up with Cummings though.  Keating was definitely the best player last night, was unlucky with a couple of long range efforts.

39 minutes ago, LeeHFC said:

Playing a back 3 and a defensive mid was the main problem for me.  Bartley is a good player but he slows everything down and allows the opposing team to get everyone back to defend,  add to that the fact that McGinn was awful and it meant that we had no drive from midfield at all!! Can't see why we played with at least one wide player all through pre season and then start the season without one! We also took too long to change things when it was obvious it wasn't working!!  Queens were lucky to still be in the game at half time but their second half display was excellent and they were everything we needed to be!! Hopefully it's given us a kick up the backside and something to think about before the weekend!! 

Good luck to Queens in the rest of the competition!  

Bartley's lack of speed was a problem last night and like you said McGinn had an off night.  Assuming McGeough isn't going to be playing much this season Lennon has to make midfield (along with goalie) priority just now.

Just now, Pete Rockwell said:

Bartley's lack of speed was a problem last night and like you said McGinn had an off night.  Assuming McGeough isn't going to be playing much this season Lennon has to make midfield (along with goalie) priority just now.

Yeah, we could be doing with a left winger/wingback to play if Bartley does.  The good thing is we were missing McGeouch & Fyvie who both have more drive & offer more in an attacking sense than Bartley. The wingbacks are still a problem, they are just too defensively minded (yet still manage to be caught out of position a lot) Stevenson refuses to take his man on and cuts in too often for my liking and both aren't the best at crossing the ball either.  We were crying out for a creative mid like Carmichael, Boyle or Stanton to come on but Lennon left it far too late

1 hour ago, Parkgatequeens said:

I'm not convinced either, a wee bit of luck is what it took last night! We will lose more than we will win with these players.

Played 6 won 4 lost 1 with these players so far.

Can't decide if you're trying to wind people up or are just a complete fanny?

18 minutes ago, LeeHFC said:

Yeah, we could be doing with a left winger/wingback to play if Bartley does.  The good thing is we were missing McGeouch & Fyvie who both have more drive & offer more in an attacking sense than Bartley. The wingbacks are still a problem, they are just too defensively minded (yet still manage to be caught out of position a lot) Stevenson refuses to take his man on and cuts in too often for my liking and both aren't the best at crossing the ball either.  We were crying out for a creative mid like Carmichael, Boyle or Stanton to come on but Lennon left it far too late

Spoke a lot about the Stevenson and Gray last season on here.  I like the fact that they like to get forward but they can't take men on particularly and their crosses have a habit of hitting off the first defender.  Hoping Lennon brings in good attacking wide options this season.

Archived