Prize Money

FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, conley said:

I think I read somewhere that it cost Scotland £80,000 to charter an aircraft for an away game last year. Times that by 3 and then I think the club will be in the black so far in their European adventure.

I think that would be about right. AFC and Celtic both hired an executive plane for their trips to Kazakhstan, which was reported to cost about £200k, but that was an exception.

It's also generally a fortune to travel as a fan on the club charter for away games (£800+ is not uncommon for the 2 days) so if you sell 30 of those you're recouping a bit of the cost too.

I think it was about 20k to hire a plane for one night stay at airport. Aberdeen charges the corporate side to help cover the cost of Aberdeen travelling anyway so that will cut their costs. Derek McInnes has said Aberdeen makes good money with the Europa League.

When small clubs like ventspils is hiring a private jet every european game you know the prize money is helping with it. Ventspils charged us £5 to get in and have average crowds of 400.

Aberdeen's charter to Kazakhstan cost £200k. We had 20k at the home leg though paying an average of say £20 a ticket so that's £400k from home gate receipts alone. 

The corporates are charged ~£800 for a trip with the players for a bog standard trip to central Europe.

Bloody rip off really given it's a one night stay and you leave straight after the game but plenty folk seem to pay it. 

On 01/08/2016 at 08:15, craigkillie said:

"If it borders a country that's not in Europe, then it's not in Europe".  Carry that logic on and the Champions League will feature England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Cyprus, Malta and the Faroe Islands.

Does that mean North Korean teams are eligible to enter? And given that the Russian island of Big Diomede and the Alaskan island of Little Diomede are only 2 miles apart in waters cold enough to freeze over, could we be welcoming MLS teams in future years?

25 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Does that mean North Korean teams are eligible to enter? And given that the Russian island of Big Diomede and the Alaskan island of Little Diomede are only 2 miles apart in waters cold enough to freeze over, could we be welcoming MLS teams in future years?

North Korea borders China/South Korea and USA borders Canada/Mexico.  Ineligible.

Archived