Prize Money

FairWeatherFan

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/aberdeen-set-benefit-multi-million-8496743#GqUlQEfCzxrAqTLS.97

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Prize_money

I read the Daily Record the other day and was surprised to see it say that Aberdeen are going to make £535,000 if they got knocked out in the 3rd Qualifying Round.

The way I remembered it, it was the later Knock-Out Rounds that accumulated. The Qualifying Rounds are a one off fee dependent on what Round a team gets knocked out. I think the older version of the Wikipedia article made that clearer, but even the current version notes that a Play-off Round elimination is worth €230,000.

Does anyone know if the Qualifying Rounds do indeed accumulate?

4 hours ago, shootingboots said:

Getting to the groups would net Aberdeen £4m+ once gate receipts are taken into account. 

As unlikely as that may seem, it would be HUGE.

It's the reason why clubs such as Rio Ave (who play in front of less folk than Ross County) can pay better wages than Hearts or Aberdeen

3 hours ago, Marr1 said:

It's the reason why clubs such as Rio Ave (who play in front of less folk than Ross County) can pay better wages than Hearts or Aberdeen

Their attedances are bad. I couldn't find any figures for what they get in their TV deal as the packages are sold individually. The Big 3 dominate all the results I could find. However i'm guessing they make more money than either Hearts or Aberdeen. Think that would be a bigger factor than the one season they've had in the Europa League group stage.

Wikipedia claims only Benfica now sells outside a collective deal. Searching online finds an article from 2010 claiming the Big 3 generated 24M Euro a year, other 13 about the same. That would equate to almost 2M Euro per club but presumably more for a higher placing. Factor-in 6yrs of inflation, possible inclusion of Sporting and Porto, it's almost certainly more than what Aberdeen get. That's probably not surprising given Portugal is a more populous country and I'm assuming more matches are televised.

http://www.football-marketing.com/2010/03/29/ranking-of-european-tv-broadcasting-rights-for-2010/

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Wikipedia claims only Benfica now sells outside a collective deal. Searching online finds an article from 2010 claiming the Big 3 generated 24M Euro a year, other 13 about the same. That would equate to almost 2M Euro per club but presumably more for a higher placing. Factor-in 6yrs of inflation, possible inclusion of Sporting and Porto, it's almost certainly more than what Aberdeen get. That's probably not surprising given Portugal is a more populous country and I'm assuming more matches are televised.

http://www.football-marketing.com/2010/03/29/ranking-of-european-tv-broadcasting-rights-for-2010/

All Europa League group stage matches are televised from this season onwards.

Nobody really answering the question.

The amounts you get per round are roughly 200,000euros but it is really not clear whether it is cumulative or not.

I've always assumed it is not cumulative and hence daily record are WAY off the mark and its only like £150k

55 minutes ago, d31 said:

Nobody really answering the question.

The amounts you get per round are roughly 200,000euros but it is really not clear whether it is cumulative or not.

I've always assumed it is not cumulative and hence daily record are WAY off the mark and its only like £150k

It's not accumulative. 

Prize Money (excl. TV pool)

1st Qual Round  Elimination - €200,000
2nd Qual  Round Elimination - €210,000
3rd  Qual Round Elimination - €220,000
Play-Off Elimination - €230,000

Group Stage Parcipitation - €2,400,000
Per Group Stage Draw - €360,000
Per Group Stage Win - €120,000
Group Runners-Up - €250,000
Group Winners - €500,000

Round of 32  -  €500,000

According to STV, Aberdeen's TV market pool share would be worth €1.4m

So basically f**k all if you don't make the group stages. Especially when Aberdeen charter a flight for each away game and take a huge entourage these days so huge hotel bills too

we probably make very little from Europe - other than avoiding costs of a pre-season tour or the like

8 hours ago, d31 said:

So basically f**k all if you don't make the group stages. Especially when Aberdeen charter a flight for each away game and take a huge entourage these days so huge hotel bills too

we probably make very little from Europe - other than avoiding costs of a pre-season tour or the like

I think the token prize money is to help cover the costs of travel to clubs that get eliminated. A lot of smaller clubs go out in the earlier rounds and are usually out of pocket especially with having to travel to fecking outer Mongolia ffs? How is that even consider to be in Europe when they are next door to China, India and the like? Will China be the next country to be invited into European competitions? Why not their neighbours are playing the European competitions.

On 31/07/2016 at 05:52, hellbhoy said:

I think the token prize money is to help cover the costs of travel to clubs that get eliminated. A lot of smaller clubs go out in the earlier rounds and are usually out of pocket especially with having to travel to fecking outer Mongolia ffs? How is that even consider to be in Europe when they are next door to China, India and the like? Will China be the next country to be invited into European competitions? Why not their neighbours are playing the European competitions.

"If it borders a country that's not in Europe, then it's not in Europe".  Carry that logic on and the Champions League will feature England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Cyprus, Malta and the Faroe Islands.

On 30/07/2016 at 12:29, d31 said:

I think we make a decent amount from Europe.  We've sold around 40,000 tickets for the 3 home games - even with a conservative average of £15 per ticket that's £600,000.

The drop of the £ versus € actually favours us in terms of the prize money - so far we've earned over £500,000 by getting to QR3.  With revenue of over £1.1m, I doubt we've spent even half that on travel and other costs.

28 minutes ago, d31 said:

I dont think we have achieved that in prize money though.

I think its a one off payment for being knocked out and NOT a cumulative running total

It is cumulative. Last year we got £449,000 in UEFA prize money, which = €630,000 in prize money back then. It's in the last set of accounts.

If it's cumulative then that is good income sitting alongside the gate receipts from the three home games so far. And another windfall of cash on its way after being drawn against super ayr in the league cup. Ha

I've read before that UEFA provide a set amount of money for travelling costs for each tie, on top of the prize money.  Sometimes this won't be enough to cover the actual costs (eg Kazakhstan), but I'd imagine it might be enough to cover a trip to Luxembourg and possibly even Slovenia.

2 hours ago, O_Kahn said:

It is cumulative. Last year we got £449,000 in UEFA prize money, which = €630,000 in prize money back then. It's in the last set of accounts.

Guess that definitively answers my question. Thanks.

2 hours ago, conley said:

I think I read somewhere that it cost Scotland £80,000 to charter an aircraft for an away game last year. Times that by 3 and then I think the club will be in the black so far in their European adventure.

This was my concern. I kind of had St. Johnstone in mind last year when they had one trip out to Armenia. There was talk about Europe being quite a costly venture. So if you only had the one 200k+ payment divided over 4 rounds. It would be a hell of a lot worse. So it certainly makes sense.

With this being UEFA though, I found it hard to imagine that they would let a club entering Q1 potentially make more money than a club that enters Q3. :)

Archived