Things you miss about childhood

DDcups

5 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Other cool things from ancient times: On the last day of each term at Primary School the Jannie would go up to the roof and retrieve the ridiculous number of footballs that had been booted up there in the preceding weeks. Of course no one had a fucking clue what they were looking for so it was a total rammy, which resulted in me luckily getting a much sought after Adidas Tango.

We lived near the school so during PE it was cumpulsory to boot balls down the Glen or on an accessible roof for later collection. Thus ensuring and endless supply of size 4 & 5 rubber mitres.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Snowfall used to bring about the glorious entertainment of skelping cars and "getting a chase". Fantastic fun

We found snowballs a bit lame so progressed to taking out the windows of passing cars with catapults/stones. Plenty of exciting chases ensued.

38 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
39 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If you played on astroturf then you've no business on the 'childhood' thread as you're still in it.  Blaze pitches or f**k off ;)

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This. Or dog shit concealing grass.

My first experience of astroturf was at high school and it was 1st gen, covered in sand rip your knees to ribbons job.

Im the same age as dindeleux tho so he must have been a right posh b*****d

25 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Dindy? Posh?  My knighthood must be in the post then.  What age are the pair of you?

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye I'm also 30.

Astroturf was first gen and was like concrete and sandbased.  There was only 1 such set of 5-a-sides locally I knew of which was at Harvie's in Stevenston.  Nowadays there are hundreds of the 3g pitch 5's parks about.  A bit off topic but people always moan about lack of facilities etc compared to Holland, Spain etc but the increase in 5 a side parks and 3g pitches in the last 10/15 years has been incredible.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Another favourite of mine was taking a catapult to the local amateur football (Slamannan Villa in the 90s for the locals) and firing voiled sweeties at the opposing keeper

What about at school those stupid wee sweets on elastic and you would bite off half the sweetie and then fire the other half at someone in class.

Would be banned by the HSE this days as likely to kill a baby or something as ridiculous.

Another favourite of mine was taking a catapult to the local amateur football (Slamannan Villa in the 90s for the locals) and firing voiled sweeties at the opposing keeper

I was used to missiles from opposition teams. In my innocence I thought playing on the wing, like my idols Mark Smith and Ian McCall was really glamorous. Then I faced the reality of playing out wide in places like Blairhall and Valleyfield and had to develop 180 degree vision to watch not only the game but the hail of bricks and bottles coming my way. It was still tame compared to playing in Surrey Quays/Rotherhithe in London (Milwall territory).

We got taken to some children's theatre thing when I was about 10 and a few of us had strong rubber bands and u shaped bullets of thick insulated copper wire. The teachers couldn't find out who did it and the school was banned, on the whole I think a positive for later generations.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is only legitimate if you sawed off part of a tree to make the "Y" of the catapult, went to the sports shop to buy a couple of feet of cahootchie and used the tongue of an old pair of trainers to hold the stones.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

This is only legitimate if you sawed off part of a tree to make the "Y" of the catapult, went to the sports shop to buy a couple of feet of cahootchie and used the tongue of an old pair of trainers to hold the stones.

You're old mate we get it.

- Creamola Foam
- Liney, Hamilton, Cox, Seith, Ure, Wishart, Smith, Penman, Cousin, Gilzean & Robertson
- Ritz Cinema in Morgan Street
- Nicoll's Bakery van that used to come round once or twice a week.

How good was the rare occasion where someone stopped to ask you for directions and you sent them to the complete wrong place

We used to ask people for directions to a made up street.... then when they said they didn't know we'd tell them how to get there..... usual reaction from the women was OK son thanks or I dinnae really want to know.... men's reaction was usually..... f**k off ya wee c**t.
Also chap door run... but without running.
Pick a building with flats, find 2 doors facing each other, tie a rope to both doors, chap both doors and stand back and watch them struggle to open their doors.
Glorious times.

Just now, bud1876 said:

We used to ask people for directions to a made up street.... then when they said they didn't know we'd tell them how to get there..... usual reaction from the women was OK son thanks or I dinnae really want to know.... men's reaction was usually..... f**k off ya wee c**t.
Also chap door run... but without running.
Pick a building with flats, find 2 doors facing each other, tie a rope to both doors, chap both doors and stand back and watch them struggle to open their doors.
Glorious times.

Ah, the old plank through the flat doors routine, I remember it well.

Before I forget while I'm on a memory trip.
There was a street ( Orchard Street I think ) we'd often use on our way home from school that had a row of about 6 or 7 4 in a block houses.
This was the the grand national street.
We would have about 20 fences and hedges to jump.... various sizes and various landings due to roses beds etc to negotiate.... we always cleared the lot with ease.
Fast forward about 15 years.... after a night out in the pub my best mate and me decided to re-live our childhood.
We failed miserably at about fence 6 or 7 due to alterations made and landed smack in the middle of a bunch of garden gnomes and other garden ornaments which the owner had thoughtlessly put in the way.

Archived