Things you miss about childhood

DDcups

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The response would be, "That's shit.  We'll finish our paninis then go to the local climbing wall seeing as you booked it. We'll have sushi after".

7 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I read this as the football stickers and the rest of the post confused me.

That's understandable as you're clearly less sophisticated then we handsome Bears ;)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Used to love a game of passy. Also, long shooty. Im sure different places had different names but basically two sets of jumpers and pinging shots at eachother from within your own "half"

Aye long shooty was brilliant.  I could start talking about "Combi Record" (combi pronounced comb-be as opposed to a combi boiler) but we'd be here all night.

A 5 aside astroturf pitch was fucking brilliant for "long shooty two touch" where you would ensure you hit your shot as hard as possible to make the opponents first touch as hard as possible.  

Did anyone ever play, and I can't remember what we called it, but "wall two touch"?  You basically marked out a section of the wall and had to hit the ball in that section within two touches.  This led to the art of hitting the ball off the wall with swerve and/or a narrow angle resulting in your mate having to take the first of his two touches from a dreadful postion. 

17 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Last time I tried to play football, I kicked the ground on my first go and could hardly walk for a week.

Young me would be suicidal if he'd known that we'd forget how to kick a fucking ball.

I'm only 30 and play 5's once a week but just knocking a ball around a park with my mate absolutely fucked me.  

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Another class game... Put it by yer in. At least three players, one in goal. Goals must be scored on the volley or 1 bounce. As the name suggests.... put it wide and you have to go in goals.

Disputed wide shots resulted in a penalty to settle it. (When using jumpers)

3x over the bar and yer in. Bar height determined by keeper at full stretch.

10 goals conceded = a hard boot up the hole from each outfield player.

^^^Combi record.

I can see from my notifications popping up that you are replying Bairnardo, most likely to confirm the game.  I remember when they put up all the fences around schools - the gates and fence heights made a great guide as to putting the ball over the bar.  Prior to this arguments about heights of shots and possible penalties could last for ages.

We didn't normally have the put it wide rule in force - our rule was if the keeper catches a shot without it bouncing (or a cross or whatever) then the last player to touch it went in goals.  We would mark out a box (penalties hit from edge of box) and the first goal had to be a header.  This gave the keeper a chance to get out. Volleys could only be scored from outside the box.   This would allow the keeper to step off the line a bit as they tried to get back out and provided opportunities for lobs etc.

Did anyone else have a mate who the following always happened to

1. Playing combi-record (or a regional variation) when this person went in goals every shot would be fired at them as hard as possible?
  2. If playing long passy, every pass to this player was intentionally fired away over their head so they had to go chasing it?

What was the street game called where you chucked the ball at the kerb and had to catch it when it came back? I seem to remember developing a supernatural talent for that when the local pitches were being used for a fair, or some such keich.

Two points if you turned a full circle before catching, as I recall.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

What was the street game called where you chucked the ball at the kerb and had to catch it when it came back? I seem to remember developing a supernatural talent for that when the local pitches were being used for a fair, or some such keich.

Two points if you turned a full circle before catching, as I recall.

Ball Kerb.

The railway we played on was used for freight before it closed completely. The old BMC in Bathgate sent vans by rail to wherever. We had a game called Tan the Van. This game involved standing near the track and tanning the van windows. The trains had guards and sometimes stopped. The object then was to throw stones at the guard, then run away.

21 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

A 5 aside astroturf pitch was fucking brilliant for "long shooty two touch"

If you played on astroturf then you've no business on the 'childhood' thread as you're still in it.  Blaze pitches or f**k off ;)

I have Ball Kerb/Kerby to thank for my enduring ability to throw the ball accurately to an opponent's feet at a distance of several yards, much appreciated by my schoolmates.

I'm coming up hard on 40, Bairnardo, but like to think that my mind's still every bit as sharp as folk like Kinky.

Long shooty has been mentioned. Another we played was called wally, basically 2 of you battering the ball off a wall. If your pal hit the wall and you missed the rebound you lost the point. A bit like poor mans squash!

The arse end of Fife was great in the summer hols. Catapult fights. Firework fights. Petrol bomb fights. Raiding gardens. Camping. Water fights. Building big ramps and jumping over folk on the bmx. Water fights. Falling in love. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

The arse end of Fife was great in the summer hols. Catapult fights. Firework fights. Petrol bomb fights. Raiding gardens. Camping. Water fights. Building big ramps and jumping over folk on the bmx. Water fights. Falling in love. 

It's a wonder you were fit to shag your sister. Avoiding washing is not a water fight.

I'd go back to the summer of 1986. The weather was largely fucking scorching, me and my mates played football all day, then watched the World Cup matches at night. Live football on the TV was obviously a rare thing then, so it was tremendous. I also completed the Panini World Cup album in a ridiculously short time, as I had a paper round and tanned shitloads of sticker packs, which more than compensated for the old duffer only paying us £3.20 a week :lol:

I'm also fairly sure that "Supercans" of Coke and King Size Mars Bars happened around that time, which may go some way to explaining why, despite playing copious amounts of football, I was still a fat b*****d.

21 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The railway we played on was used for freight before it closed completely. The old BMC in Bathgate sent vans by rail to wherever. We had a game called Tan the Van. This game involved standing near the track and tanning the van windows. The trains had guards and sometimes stopped. The object then was to throw stones at the guard, then run away.

We played a game of who could keep the head between the carriage buffers the longest before they got shunted. Thankfully we were all chickenshits. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm coming up hard on 40, Bairnardo, but like to think that my mind's still every bit as sharp as folk like Kinky.

So your metric is a Motherwell bevvy-merchant auld enough to be your faither?  I'd raise your sights higher, chappy.

Just now, welshbairn said:

We played a game of who could keep the head between the carriage buffers the longest before they got shunted. Thankfully we were all chickenshits. 

Last out the hole in the fence was invariably trapped by the others as the train thundered past. Or the guard got off and gave chase.

Other cool things from ancient times: On the last day of each term at Primary School the Jannie would go up to the roof and retrieve the ridiculous number of footballs that had been booted up there in the preceding weeks. Of course no one had a fucking clue what they were looking for so it was a total rammy, which resulted in me luckily getting a much sought after Adidas Tango.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Last out the hole in the fence was invariably trapped by the others as the train thundered past. Or the guard got off and gave chase.

Whatever you did the best fun was running away. We used to set up road diversions where the cars had no choice but to return to the same place. The fury was immense.

Archived