Nuclear vs Renewable

Cream Cheese

Nuclear vs Renewable  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this. Where do people stand on this?

Personally I think the new nuclear power plant will prove to be completely impracticable and will shoot up energy prices right across the UK. It's not the direction I believe we should be going in. Not to mention the dangers involved and it's previous history of disasters.

I've often wondered why hydro-power was taken off the table.  A couple of good schemes in Scotland and then... nada.  Is it not cost-effective? Is it unpopular with those who get drowned? Or is it just too expensive? (Compared to nuclear????)

Edited by The DA

23 minutes ago, The DA said:

I've often wondered why hydro-power was taken off the table.  A couple of good schemes in Scotland and then... nada.  Is it not cost-effective? Is it unpopular with those who get drowned? Or is it just too expensive? (Compared to nuclear????)

Big business can't make the same amount of money out of nuclear.  Nuclear is an oligopoly, it can be controlled and manipulated to suit certain interest groups.

36 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Nuclear all the way emoji1.pngemoji1.pngemoji1.png

Well you're entitled to your opinion. Although I get the impression from your posts on here that you are actually incapable of forming your own personal opinions on anything and will just blindly follow whatever the fat cat conservatives do.

Cold Fusion & free energy. Might look like a pipe dream at the moment but might grow some legs in the future. Both have the potential to produce plenty of cheap energy.

They say nuclear energy is cheap but do not factor in the costs of decommissioning or the cost of a nuclear meltdown.

Renewable is best for the environment?, apparently, but comes at a higher cost and my bills are already too high.

If I were to choose without factoring in the cost of pence per unit, I'd deffo go for renewable. You should see the forest of wind turbines from where I live.

We need a mix:

Nuclear to provide a steady base rate of energy output

Gas to be cranked up or down to meet high demands or pick up slack when it's not windy.

Renewables as much as possible as often as possible in as many different places as possible.

Until we solve the storage problem (big enough batteries are beyond our ken presently) we have to have a combination of all 3. That doesn't we need a giant French built, with Chinese money behemoth of a nuclear plant. In time, Hinckley will turn out to be a terrible deal for the uk consumer IMO.

1 hour ago, hellbhoy said:

Cold Fusion & free energy. Might look like a pipe dream at the moment but might grow some legs in the future. Both have the potential to produce plenty of cheap energy.

They say nuclear energy is cheap but do not factor in the costs of decommissioning or the cost of a nuclear meltdown.

Renewable is best for the environment?, apparently, but comes at a higher cost and my bills are already too high.

If I were to choose without factoring in the cost of pence per unit, I'd deffo go for renewable. You should see the forest of wind turbines from where I live.

If you were factoring in cost, then renewables would still make more sense. Nuclear is going to be drastically more expensive. The power plants are always way over budget and require a far greater level of maintenance and routine safety checks. It's us that will foot the bill. Meanwhile the cost of renewable energy has been gradually reducing over the years, but the tories can't have that!

10 hours ago, Cream Cheese said:

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this. Where do people stand on this?

Personally I think the new nuclear power plant will prove to be completely impracticable and will shoot up energy prices right across the UK. It's not the direction I believe we should be going in. Not to mention the dangers involved and it's previous history of disasters.

The British Government may have got cold feet over the Hinkley Point deal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36903904

A mix of both for me.

I'm interested as to why the Gov't has delayed it's full approval of the deal until the autumn. I'm hoping that they will try to reduce the currently agreed purchasing price of the electricity produced there down from £92.50 per megawatt hour. The current wholesale price of electricity is just under £50 per Mwh. Also, Hinckley in Somerset is the first of 3 new nuclear power stations planned under this deal and so it is crucial the Gov't strikes the right deal.

£92.50 is still a lot less than the guaranteed purchase price for Offshore Wind and Waste Conversion but more than Onshore Wind and Large Solar Farms

22 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

0 people died after Fukushima,
24 people die each year while installing solar panels in Australia alone.

It's obvious which is the real killer.

The Australian education system?

I might be a bit naive here. But, why isn't there combined Hydro and wind farm. The problem they both have is they don't provide a reliable constant source. So why can't the excess energy produced when it's windy be used to pump water to high level reservoirs. 

Generally a big nuclear energy fan. It's safe and generates a massive amount of energy. Although Hinkley Point seems to be a complete clusterfuck upon reading about it.

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If your concerned about global warming a mix of the two is the only way to go.

I remember when you used to post sensible things.  And I've got a shit memory.