The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

Well the season ends with 2-2 draw at home to Greenock.

1st half we were as poor as I have seen us and trailed 0-2 at the break

The second goal by there number 9 was a fantastic finish so deserves to be mentioned .

The candy looked dejected fed up and in need for the seasons end and given the heartache in recent weeks I did sympathise with them as even I felt emotionally drained in the torrential rain.

The second half was fair better with the candy finally shaking the blues away and goals from daw and logie saw us take a point which was probably fair over the piece tho they will feel aggrieved at a fantastic musa finish from a very tight angle being wrongly disallowed for offside but that's fitba some ye get some ye don't .

Hopefully we keep the nucleus of the team add a couple in certain areas and hopefully we are in the mix for promotion again next season.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St Roch's Adult College Report

Name:Candy Roch

Class: Sometimes top sometimes 2nd finished 3rd

Year: 2016 - 2107

Teacher's initials: KA

Grades:

1- Poor

2- Could do better

3- Excellent

Goalkeepers:

Candy has had a steady year at school and she has at times shown her worth and stood up as an important member of the class. A triangular faced girl with a youthful exuberance in a couple of cup games, she has grown into a large shot stopping girl who needs to work on her kicking. She can be easily led astray and lose concentration and join in with some of the more disruptive kids, often running the length of the class room to become become embroiled. She did put some weight on for the Scottish cup game but I for one was glad to see this was quickly shed as she didn't look great. I have great hopes for a simple two faced Candy next season and I wish her well.

Grade: 2+

Defence:

Candy actually won an award this year and was best in the entire school however if you take the year as a whole I feel that whilst she has come in since last year she has so much more potential. I believe that when Candy organises herself better and talks the good talk rather than just making noise, she can provide herself with a solid base from which to go and sit her exams with confidence. She needs to continue to work hard and keep focus, when her mind wanders and she goes quiet her work really suffers. This really is in Candy's own hands and she needs to decide if she is happy to be just good or if she wants to be great. She can be if she wants.

Midfield:

Candy has shown her middleware to great effect at times but again I see that she has room for improvement. Her belly has swollen this year at times from 2 to 5 and like most students, when she decides what she wants to do and commits to it with structure consistency and hard work, I believe that her smooth attractive flat and toned best is still to come.

Forwards:

In a season when Candy has struggled at times she still finished this year with a healthy return. She has taken on a few guises, at times she has handed in work which is clinical and ruthless and attracted a 3 point score, at other times I have been hugely disappointed and concerned at her apparently unwillingness and inability to focus and hand in any work at all. Unlike other teachers, I believe that in this class, Candy's primary focus has to be hard work and an end product. It is pointless and frustrating to both Candy and myself when she works hard but doesn't hand in an assignment before the deadline. I believe that 90 minutes is time enough and she needs to concentrate on delivering her end product. If Candy works hard she certainly has the ability to benefit her entire class and drag up their averages.

Candy's Fans:

Candy has attracted many an admiring eye this year and again I suggest she concentrates on her work as a priority. I am an old teacher and I have seen talented pupils lose focus and place undue credence in the opinions and thoughts of their fans. The best way to repay the love shown is to take their frustration at apparent unrequited love and to show she cares. The best way for Candy to do this is to focus on her work and deliver results. When she does this she will find that there is more than one way into someone's heart. The Fans themselves have been as erratic as Candy this season. They have been passion inducing and inspiring and lifting whilst at times over critical and badly behaved in class. I hope that next year they continue to add to Candy's work and support it. They need to realise that their bad behaviour in class (whether they think it is just a laugh or not) can distract Candy and impact the possibilities for the entire class. I have been teaching for over 40 years and I know that nothing stays the same forever. Even the class clowns grow up and behave eventually.

Comments:

Candy has been a pleasure this season and I have no shame in declaring she is my favourite pupil. Some of the assignments she has been given this year have been challenging yet she attacked them with vigour and passion and her hard work resulted in top mark 3's for both Camby at Home and her field trip to Camby Away. Candy has struggled with some easier topics and disappointed at home to Benburb and Forth and didn't hand in any work away at Vale of Clyde and Lesmahagow Valley. Had she managed to retain focus and deliver then her overall grade would certainly have been higher. One of the lessons I hope she takes from this year is the value and worth of hard work and enthusiastic work as exemplified by another pupil young Ross Vale, who showed us what can be achieved with those attributes, no matter how young or new to the college that you are.

If Candy continues to work hard she will gain confidence and experience and she could also find herself challenging again next year for honours.

Grade: most times 3, sometimes 2, a few times 1.

Overall: 2++

*I will add that as I like to treat the terrible twins of triumph and disaster equally, I personally think this year has been a 3. Good luck next year Candy. Work hard and you will get your rewards. KA.

The Torrential Rain Pluvially installed a rhythm of dread as I matched it and Tapped into Twitter hoping to see nothing. No Game Off post so we head up for the last game of this hugely enjoyable season. We get to the ground and park and I see a SJFA track suited ref looking type walking out with a cup of coffee. "It's not off is it?" I ask in desperation and he confirms it is on and he has just egg something in the car.. aye, an overcoat and wellies... the rain is still falling but the pitch loooks surprisingly well and so it proved. A very sparsely populated club house and it has the feel of end of season and a nothing match. Greenock bring 5 men and a dug. The crowd picks up as kick off approaches but we are rotten in the first half which visually shows and throws up all the annoying traits that ultimately cost us at times this season. We looked disorganised and poor, a shadow of what we can be. We hit the bar.. true.. but they were worth of their 2 goal lead, both well taken and the second scored by the excellent 9 who looked too good and too much for our centre half pairing in the first 45. A few changes and we score on 70 ish and nick a leveller late on. However as the CandyMan played his last songs of the season, this last game of the season was not the last song at a concert which leaves everyone elated and wishing for more, this was the last song at Popworld, only the die hard stragglers left with the venue and the people having seen better times. When the night started there was so much hope in the air.....Even then I have often asked for more. Just as the bouncers chucked me out as the cleaners move in, it wasn't the bouncers at the door but the players and staff who, in a very nice touch, walked towards the exits to cut off the fans and applauded them and shook hands and embraced them. I am sure it was in appreciation to the I waive ring support given and shown over this oh so close season.

Get well soon to big Steven. First candy fan I spoke to at springburn and again at Alloa pre season. A really nice happy and laughy guy to watch football with.

Keiron Daw was good before and after his goal and others came onto a game others didn't. Does it really matter though? It should as people paid money and you should always carry yourself as well as you can. Fans can excuse bad performances (well the ones who understand can) but they all deserve 100% effort and a standard of behaviour fitting of the shirt and matching their passions. We have had that mostly this season which makes the times it doesn't happen stand out like a sore Candy Cracked tooth.

A few good shouts yesterday and a new one to add to my Scottish Junior Football Lexicon of abuse with "Shut up ya helmet"[emoji106] . Didn't know Greenock were buying German players???

And so it ended... only the POTY awards to come in a fortnight and I'll be there and I'll update you all on the winners. I think I won this season. I moved back west and picked a team to follow.. one with whom I had links and from where I grew up and I got more than I could have wished for. Forget the great wins and the promotion challenge and cup triumphs, I enjoy them but enjoy a great game and our performance more. I am fortunate that I can take the joy but I know where it is in the grand scheme of life and what it gives me. I have felt safe at St Roch's and it has given me pause for thought. I have seen some things I haven't seen in a long time and I have absorbed and listened and watched and wondered and figured it out. I can do that at football and it is where I am at peace. It has given me so much and I would like to thank Andy and his staff, all the committee, all the players and all the fans who I have met along the way. I asked one fan last week "Where did you finish last year?" And he replied "What do you mean you? You mean where did WE finish. You're one of us now". Sometimes despite everything I write and the thoughts I have, it takes one line from someone else to sum it up. I'm a CandyFan now.. one of them... one of many...one of us.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]IMG_1495362913.516140.jpg.a432566b666b505594912d79b861028d.jpg

Enjoyed both our Candy games this season-you gave us a right tough challenge in the friendly but we played a lot better in the Cup tie.Keep up with the very good fan base and stick by John Sweeney-when John sticks to the football and keeps his discipline he is easily a Super Premier player.Good luck next season.

Enjoyed both our Candy games this season-you gave us a right tough challenge in the friendly but we played a lot better in the Cup tie.Keep up with the very good fan base and stick by John Sweeney-when John sticks to the football and keeps his discipline he is easily a Super Premier player.Good luck next season.

Absolutely I think on his game john sweeney is a fantastic footballer tho never a centre half so hopefully next season he is still at candy in a more forward midfield position as that's where I believe he is more suited too .

John sweeney has left the football club

I'm very disappointed with this news yes at times his discipline let him down but from xmas onwards it improved dramatically and he gave us everything and on his day he is one of the best around.

I wish him well and every success in the next stage on his career wherever that maybe .

Very sad to hear that John Sweeney is moving on. I would like to wish him every success for the future.

John is one of those players who courts controversy, usually vocally articulated by fans of the opposition and occasionally by his own fans. When you weed out some of the nonsense there is usually a thread of truth woven through the comments, I know for a fact that John is aware that at times he can be his own worst enemy. I always say that people don't comment with such vigour about players who have little or no ability and therein lies the sadness for me in his departure. There can be no doubt that when JS was on his game, the Candy were a better team and a match for most. He could sit in a holding midfield position and allow everyone else in the team, including fullbacks and midfield partners, to rampage forward and go and join in. Those days were a joy to the trained eye. He also got forward and scored the only goal of the game both home and away against the champions. It was no surprise that our promotion challenge started to splutter as his form dipped, along with some of his teammates. I played with guys like that who were Gallus, Great, Good then Garbage and when they were on song you felt like you could beat anyone. The weight of the team can fall on them at times and you need to be a big strong character with deaf ears to your critics and a soul that keeps you going and motivated and focused. Sometimes with these types of up and down players (I was never like this, I was just considerably down and down!) they struggle to cope and get the red mist of misery. John has the ability to be whatever he wants and when the penny drops, or he gets older and learns he needs to use his head more than his legs and engine, he will be a marvellous addition to any squad that I have seen this year, including the teams from the top flight we have played. A quality player and has been said before, a nice football guy to chat to.
Thanks for your efforts John, you were one of the reasons that the fans believed. I still believe that your best days could be ahead of you. Thanks for our wee football chats and discussions, as you will have found out, I am always right!!! [emoji23]

Don't be a stranger and genuine best wishes for the future. Paul. [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

6 hours ago, Kinky Afro said:

Very sad to hear that John Sweeney is moving on. I would like to wish him every success for the future.

John is one of those players who courts controversy, usually vocally articulated by fans of the opposition and occasionally by his own fans. When you weed out some of the nonsense there is usually a thread of truth woven through the comments, I know for a fact that John is aware that at times he can be his own worst enemy. I always say that people don't comment with such vigour about players who have little or no ability and therein lies the sadness for me in his departure. There can be no doubt that when JS was on his game, the Candy were a better team and a match for most. He could sit in a holding midfield position and allow everyone else in the team, including fullbacks and midfield partners, to rampage forward and go and join in. Those days were a joy to the trained eye. He also got forward and scored the only goal of the game both home and away against the champions. It was no surprise that our promotion challenge started to splutter as his form dipped, along with some of his teammates. I played with guys like that who were Gallus, Great, Good then Garbage and when they were on song you felt like you could beat anyone. The weight of the team can fall on them at times and you need to be a big strong character with deaf ears to your critics and a soul that keeps you going and motivated and focused. Sometimes with these types of up and down players (I was never like this, I was just considerably down and down!) they struggle to cope and get the red mist of misery. John has the ability to be whatever he wants and when the penny drops, or he gets older and learns he needs to use his head more than his legs and engine, he will be a marvellous addition to any squad that I have seen this year, including the teams from the top flight we have played. A quality player and has been said before, a nice football guy to chat to.
Thanks for your efforts John, you were one of the reasons that the fans believed. I still believe that your best days could be ahead of you. Thanks for our wee football chats and discussions, as you will have found out, I am always right!!! emoji23.png

Don't be a stranger and genuine best wishes for the future. Paul. emoji172.pngemoji460.pngemoji106.png

I'm sorry Kinky I need to disagree with you about the lad. I've watched him on a number of occasions and mostly it was his football that did the talking, however, in a match against one of the teams relegated he spent most of the match making nasty remarks to players on their misfortune in moving to the lowest division. On one occasion he was that nasty that one of your centre halves had words with him. The lad may have talent but he has an unfortunate streak in him that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

1 hour ago, Viewparker said:

I'm sorry Kinky I need to disagree with you about the lad. I've watched him on a number of occasions and mostly it was his football that did the talking, however, in a match against one of the teams relegated he spent most of the match making nasty remarks to players on their misfortune in moving to the lowest division. On one occasion he was that nasty that one of your centre halves had words with him. The lad may have talent but he has an unfortunate streak in him that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

I'll vouch for that

I think that is what I have said so I don't think we need to disagree on his bad behaviour issues. I obviously didn't hear that incident although I was at the game probably (who was it against??). He has a streak and can let himself down at times.. a lot of players at this level do... although giving a relegated team some stick isn't unheard of and I've done it myself. I called out Muirkirk this year and got some stick as I was apparently too harsh!! I call what I see and they were out of their depth against us... no use having a go at me, I wasn't playing pish...talking pish? Debateable, playing pish? no. If you are relegated then it is a bit rich moaning that some of the opposition are in your ear???? We have put up with far far worse this year unfortunately. Anyway, when he was on his game (and I probably saw that more than you this year) he was immense and a solid foundation for the Candy to dominate a game from. I was hoping he would stay and we could tame him... we will never know now.

48 minutes ago, Kinky Afro said:

I think that is what I have said so I don't think we need to disagree on his bad behaviour issues. I obviously didn't hear that incident although I was at the game probably (who was it against??). He has a streak and can let himself down at times.. a lot of players at this level do... although giving a relegated team some stick isn't unheard of and I've done it myself. I called out Muirkirk this year and got some stick as I was apparently too harsh!! I call what I see and they were out of their depth against us... no use having a go at me, I wasn't playing pish...talking pish? Debateable, playing pish? no. If you are relegated then it is a bit rich moaning that some of the opposition are in your ear???? We have put up with far far worse this year unfortunately. Anyway, when he was on his game (and I probably saw that more than you this year) he was immense and a solid foundation for the Candy to dominate a game from. I was hoping he would stay and we could tame him... we will never know now.

Showing a lack of respect to fellow players is not the actions of as you said " a nice football guy". 

I have never played against him and I stick with my comments as I said he "is a nice football guy to chat to" Have you ever chatted football with him? If not then you can't argue my point. Even if you have and he wasn't nice with you, he has been nice with me. Read what I said....
Better players than him you or I have been worse.. you seem to have it in for him as do a few folk.... that says more about them than it does him.
Anyway, I'm off to see Camby get the league trophy tonight at Perthshire. Over the season they deserved it and as a fair minded fan the least I can do is take it in and applaud. [emoji460]️[emoji122][emoji106]

Archived