The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I started this crazy journey in august never in a million years did I think I would end up so hooked on candy but today my addiction took me through every motion as we scraped a 1-0 win to keep our promotion dream alive . I will be absolutely gutted if we don't go up but it's been a privilege to have met so many smashing folk from the gaffer to the players committee and the most important guys the fans who are as passionate and faithful as any other in the beautiful game and it's a privilege have been part of this amazing season with a club where success does not come to visit very often and I have loved every minute of it and Saturday away again with the candy army can't come quick enough.
MTC [emoji172][emoji517][emoji460]️

...What the 5Fffffs ???? -It was all about a game of Fffffives yesterday. Fffff5 and 1. Fffff5 league games to go to try to be 1st, our Fffff5th game since our last win, Fffff5 minutes to 1 at the ground, Fffff5-1 for the tic and Fffff5 and they Won for the Buddies, Fffff5 and 1 and we Fffffinished the day on Fffffive and one points. All that for a Fffffiver in and a Fffffree Buddies ticket. Fffffantatsic Fffffun and Fffffrolics... it left me Fffffinking.....It's as tight as a gnat's chuff at the top and you really do have the feel that a defeat will shatter your season. The truth is that Larky, Camby and Candy have all dropped points in this jam packed week of wonderment. The Roch's league week finished with a final score of played 3, won 2 drew 1, 3 goals scored, 3 clean sheets and 7 welcome points. We haven't played consistently well to be honest and not often will a title winning team only average a goal a game. Championship winning teams will however have an excellent defensive record and 3 clean sheets are to be commended and I might touch later in why and how we managed that. A realistic fan will accept that we are what we are but what we are can be tweaked, tuned and turned up to a level that will get us over the promotion line. It can be done and with the high Fffff5s Flying in the distance, the promised land lies just over the last 4 games horizon... I know where it is....

I had contemplated a self imposed travel ban as my last 2 Candy Brake trips resulted in a to be expected defeat at Pollok where we didn't let ourselves down and a goalless and joyless 60 mile round trip to the Hidden Valley of Despair at Lesmahagow on Monday. As it turned out I needn't have worried as after reserving 2 seats for me and the auld man and arranging to meet at the round at 1pm, I pitch up at JMcG at 5 to 1 to be met with locked gates and a bus free zone. A quick call the bus convener Myles is answered in apologetic tones and a "sorry big man, the driver had to drop us off and get back ower tae Ibrox".... a quick press of a few SatNav buttons and I'm 12 miles from Myles and heading along the M8 to this must win game. I arrive at the ground to see the alighted not delighted as they are locked out of the ground. A large bellied chap approaches from behind the gate with a set of jailers keys and opens the ground to the Candy faithful. We would be looking for those a keys to unlock the game in just over an hours time. We joined the lads and after sampling a well stocked pie stall which had Super Johnstone Jumbo Hot Dogs [emoji894] , we stood under a Mediterraneanesque Sun shade wooded shelter (used her to keep the rain out) and watched the last 20 minutes of the Celtic Rangers game. Another 5..... and the lads were happy, although one lad was upset that Rangers scored. Perhaps he is a defending aficionado like myself?? The teams ran out onto a huge pitch surrounded by an old school junior bowl, a large shed on the far side sparsely populated solely by about 30 Candy Fans. A small attendance all round with the Candy outnumbering the home "crowd" not for the first time this season. The game starts and it is a huff puff affair for both sides, the candy had a few good passing moves resulting in attempts on goal. Their number 2 defending stoutly and well to my appreciative eye. For their part a big lumbering number 9 caught my comment only for the lad next to me to say "that's ma boy". I spend the rest of the game chatting and musing the joys of the beautiful game and this one and as half time arrives we are misfiring again and the nets are still intact. We start the second half better and have some territorial advantage but no real opportunities. big B has notched some important goals and he shows the benefits to be had of simple football as he controls and fires into the corner for the opener. We then free up and pass and move better but are still shakey at the back. They have a couple of chances and some rash yellow card attracting tackling gives them hope. We hold on and when Halsman breaks into the box and is bundled down, big Musa reverts to type and side foots home for 2-0 and the game is done.

A few more yellows and a harsh red and we are over the line and onto Fffff5 and 1, 51 points. All three teams level on points with the Candy a game in hand and sitting pretty. Nothing is won yet and it will require hard work and discipline to prevail. Some people think discipline means doing difficult things.. it isn't. It is doing the simple things under pressure. It is the repetitive nature, passing and moving or talking and looking and listening and switching on, of expecting bad things to happen and dealing with them in your head before they occur, it is the years of experience and coaching that we know and putting that into practice. A quick word about our 3rd clean sheet in a row.... defending is an art. Well, good defending is. It is as important a skill as passing and forward play. Of course everyone thinks they can defend.."get goal side" "get on his toes" "take the front stick" but when they get there (if they are quick enough to get there) then they need to know what they are doing and how to do it. Defenders need to be boring and repetitive and keep checking where their fellow defenders are and where the opposition are. They need to always be talking and looking around themselves. A defender does his best work when his team are attacking. That is when you organise and take up good staring positions and ensure you are not exposed and are favourite for any balls played up. Stephen Bryson has started to do this and his form has galvanised the entire back 4 who (when they screw the nut and defend properly) are looking quite solid. We don't need to win every ball, we don't need to lose our shape, a good defence defend together and work to cover each other. I think we are getting there, although we are still murder defending corners. [emoji30] Don't let anyone run across the front of you. If you do you will lose goals, if you don't you won't. We just need to keep concentrating and doing the simple things. Simple things win matches.

It wasn't so joyous for Big Nine's Da as he lamented this poor season and the quality of some refs who again made some interesting decisions. As we said, this is the 3rd level of junior football so probably we have the 3rd level of part time referees. I don't think he did too bad but Nine's Da called him out for one pancreatic assault of a challenge which went unpunished. It is always good banter with opposition fans and if you can see the game for what it is then you can enjoy your different loyalties. I wished them well and headed off to the car and a quick drive to StMirren who banged 5 in without reply in their relegation dogfight game against Raith. (If you get to see Stevie Mallon's 3rd it is a goal of the a eason candidate). I got home at Fffff5 to 6. The 6 signaling the day of Fffff5s was over and on we go to Rob Roy on Wednesday in some cup or other. Now, usually I advocate the strongest team but the gaffer has to surely leave some key players out? If big B gets injured we are buggered. John Sweeney and Kieron Daw and Stephen Bryson and Johnny Carter are the spine of the team and we really need them all. In fact, we need everyone fit and there with the lads as we try to Fly Higher. I was disappointed to hear than one squad member wasn't there but was away to the Celtic Rangers game??? I really hope that wasn't true..... you are either in or you are out if you play for a team...

Some people get carried away at football and for me, reality must always be your filter. Delusions of grandeur pour from the late night phone ins as "ma club" is discussed from across the divides and people's actions descend often to the places where the dark old days still lurk. I saw some rubbish at football yesterday but thankfully not at our level. This season with the Candy has been an eye opener and a heart opener. When you allow yourself to see with unbiased eyes and listen with open ears and to have your favourite but to acknowledge reality, it can be refreshing and reinvigorate something inside you that, for me, was dormant for many years. I doubt you will speak to a Candy, Camby or

Larky fan who isn't having a ball this season. They will all be wrestling with the "ah hope" and "What if we...?" scenarios that will make or break their dreams. They 3 teams might not be a holy trinity but I just thank God I am here to enjoy the ride. It has been great so far and I can't wait for it all to unfold. We seem to be hanging in there and it is all credit to the gaffer, his staff, the players and the Crazy Candy Fans. They might have taken away my bus, but they will not take anything away from my Fffffantasic 5 day yesterday.

Mon the FffffCandy!

MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

On 30 April 2017 at 19:01, griffiti on the wall said:

Absolutely brilliant read as usual kinky Afro tho I would just like to add the candy brake leaves 5.45 on Wednesday for rob Roy emoji23.png best be there about quarter past emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Is the Candy Brake Club going over the Kingston Bridge again?

On 1 May 2017 at 11:20, griffiti on the wall said:

No bus Wednesday lads
It's Everyman for himself lol
If you go over the Kingston bridge glenconner yer going in the wrong direction emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Go West, young man.

Btw Kinky, some of the best people have missed the bus at some point.

January 9th 1988.

Port Glasgow v St Roch's Scottish Junior Cup replay.

The then committee decided to run a bus down to the Port's old ground, buried now underneath the present motorway. The bus wasn't for the fans as such but the players, committee and the 10 fans we had in those days. If my memories correct this replay started out being played in November following a draw at Provanmill but the bad weather kicked and we ended up in January.

So anyway moi turns up with a mate and on the bus we go heading for Port Glasgow. Arrive at the Port and said mate says "come on walk over to Port Glasgow town centre and get a chippie". The game a 1.30 kickoff and this is an hour before it. 30 minutes later and a fish supper later we arrive back to find the ground closed and the bus gone. The ref had called the game off!!! And thus my mate dragged me to Love St because his big team were in the centenary year and going for the league which finished a 1-1 draw confirmed by CelticWiki.

A week later the Roch lost the replay.

We went by train.

Amongst the Frequent Football Frills of this Season and the Mental Muttering and Musings on this thread, I have found some real Gems of Cerebral Candy. I love reading wee stories and gossips and recollections that help colour in our Green and White page. I have never been a fan of "the ref was shite" threads or the blind faith brigade. You must look and listen and feel and challenge and think for yourself. No one will ever convince me a player is a player unless I see it, consider it and make my own mind up. Conversely I am open to persuasion, debate and alternate opinion. I smile with a shaking head at some people whilst the great posts make me smile and nod my head in appreciation.

For some the beautiful game is no more than the 90 minutes on a Saturday and getting one over on the opposition..listen to the phone ins and read some other threads.... a stick to beat with. For me it is the whole event and all that means. What happens during the match and the day and what were you thinking leading up to it and how did it affect you afterwards? Football can give you so much more if you are prepared to let it. Some of the stories on here in the last few weeks about how the Roch resonates through your mind when you are at a late night party or hear about a missed bus gives me a warm glow. It is the primal desire and knowledge that you are part of something and belong... that your mind matters and what you did or felt, no matter how many years ago, adds to the overall impact of the Roch on all that surrounds it. If your butterfly wings flutter in the Rainforest of the Roch, then that adds and grows and becomes as important a part as anything on the field. It's all about us and being part of the Candy and even if some people don't realise it, they are and it is great. Some say this is just life.. but I have learned this season that this is St Roch's and it really is more like a way of life.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

On the road again, this time to Cumbernauld and the mighty Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. 2 divisions above us and fighting to win the league just like St Roch's. Saw the Ants win 3-2 there exactly a year ago in the same competition. 

Third Cumbernauld cut off and follow the signs for the Village for those unsure where Guy Meadow is.

Larkhall Thistle away on May 13th.

As it stands one team could win that game and still miss out!!! It is all to play for folks.....[emoji1317][emoji256]
I wonder what the crowd will be there? Any guesses? Got to be 500+ again and I think a fair few neutrals will come along too....[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Archived