The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Friendly result tonight :-

St Roch's 1 (Jordan Logan)
Rutherglen Glencairn 3 (Jason McCormack o.g., Fraser Team, Paddy Cullen)

I watched the first half and I thought the boys played a very good high paced game. A very good exercise.

14 hours ago, roch said:

I watched the first half and I thought the boys played a very good high paced game. A very good exercise.

They did indeed, and they paid for it late in the game as they ran out of legs. St Roch's only had 12 players, so it was a hard shift for them. We agreed to cut the match to 80 minutes as a few St Roch's players had a few niggles and there was no point in risking injuries. It was a good run-out for both teams, we got a chance to look at a couple of trialists and bring a few players back who haven't been playing recently.

28 minutes ago, Rochstar1920 said:

Great game. Young keeper for us had a confidence boosting performance.
2 one on ones and a deflection beat him. He should be very proud.

To be fair, we didn't test him in the first half as our shooting was woeful and all off target. He was unlucky to be beaten by the equaliser.

Took this game in last night grand daughter plays for Glasgow city I stayed after her training to watch the match because I like st rochs (Kilsyth rangers fan myself) not been able to make a lot of matches this year due to my wife's health. thoroughly enjoyed this game even although it was merely a friendly. Impressed with the way both teams kept the ball on the deck. Must say how rutherglen didn't score in the first half baffled me the chances the created, couldn't hit the target and the young st roch keeper dealt with anything his way! Then a cross ball killed rutherglen great composed finish leaving the keeper no chance. Onto the second half and again it was one way football rutherglen attack after attack and I have to say the young st rochs keepers double save is up there with some of the best saves I've seen and the rutherglen keeper wanted to keep up the high standard the roch keeper set made an incredible save tipping a header onto the bar and gather the ball after it dropped. Felt sorry for the roch keeper with the second goal he shouts to come for the cross and the defender headed it into his own net. Have to say was a thoroughly entertaining game really liked the left back for rutherglen seems very composed on the ball and the young midfield centre boy who got the ball and constantly ran at the st rochs defence but for me the young st rochs keeper man of the match. Hope to get to some more games this year. Thanks st rochs and rutherglen for the entertaining friendly. 

8 minutes ago, MrAnoymous said:

Took this game in last night grand daughter plays for Glasgow city I stayed after her training to watch the match because I like st rochs (Kilsyth rangers fan myself) not been able to make a lot of matches this year due to my wife's health. thoroughly enjoyed this game even although it was merely a friendly. Impressed with the way both teams kept the ball on the deck. Must say how rutherglen didn't score in the first half baffled me the chances the created, couldn't hit the target and the young st roch keeper dealt with anything his way! Then a cross ball killed rutherglen great composed finish leaving the keeper no chance. Onto the second half and again it was one way football rutherglen attack after attack and I have to say the young st rochs keepers double save is up there with some of the best saves I've seen and the rutherglen keeper wanted to keep up the high standard the roch keeper set made an incredible save tipping a header onto the bar and gather the ball after it dropped. Felt sorry for the roch keeper with the second goal he shouts to come for the cross and the defender headed it into his own net. Have to say was a thoroughly entertaining game really liked the left back for rutherglen seems very composed on the ball and the young midfield centre boy who got the ball and constantly ran at the st rochs defence but for me the young st rochs keeper man of the match. Hope to get to some more games this year. Thanks st rochs and rutherglen for the entertaining friendly. 

A very fair assessment.

On 22 January 2017 at 21:10, Kinky Afro said:

Very interesting indeed...

Stevie Mullen of the St Roch's committee, gives a wee bit of information regarding recent events behinds the scenes at the club.

Sound fella yer man, Stephen.

He'd be an asset to any Junior club.

Interesting to see the top level of Junior football.
Slightly bemused at St Roch's winning one nil at halftime.
Fair play to Rutherglen Glencairn for the friendly.

We're not exactly "the top level of Junior football" at the moment, but we have aspirations. [emoji16]

It wasn't our strongest side last night either, the starting team were missing Hutchison, McGregor, Neil, Fraser, McGuire, McNab, Team and McKay, all of whom have pretty much been first choice players when fit this season. But St Roch's were under-strength as well. It's hard to read too much into friendly matches.

Despite the defeat and frustrations, I actually quite enjoyed the game today. A large Candy Crowd too.. all they were saying, was give us a goal. They didn't and we lost. It is obvious that when we don't have our first 11 then we struggle.. that's a surprise as the players that come in have no shortage of ability. If you don't score then you can't win and I suppose if we are going to get a promotion berth then there is no point in doing it without some tension and drama.

Well done to VOC who were a mirror of their gaffer.. they battled, defended well and ran down the clock in a controlled, smart and disciplined way. Some called it time wasting.... I called it sensible game management and killing the game. Even though I enjoyed it it still feels like a momentum stopping boot in the bollox. Such is the life of a Candy Fan this season however. Match day story tomorrow with some fabulous quotes from the terrace. Heads up lads, we go again.

MTC!

IMG_1485629906.532477.jpg

IMG_1485629949.075823.jpg.fd19bb670f7a39

Last week I wanted Candy Love and got a winch behind the bus stop. This week she promised something more but never delivered leaving me suitably unfulfilled. On Burns' day weekend this was more than a tricky love poetry test and for us it's back to the school drawing board. We travelled to the romantically misnomered Vale of Clyde, over a bridge and tail-less horses in fields, and arrived at a traditional and some might say picturesque old skool junior ground, mist hovering over the far end coo shed where the Candy faithful were to gather later and fill. The rain was falling but the lush green was welcome to the eye, not a puddle or mud patch in sight which raised my spirits...The Candy love a slick passing surface I mused. I was looking forward to the game and the prospect of a follow up victory having got back on the horse last week. I never for a second even contemplated the next frustrating 2 hours which weren't quite Burns standard.....

"I do not wish to feel anguish
Nor despair
I merely wish to love you
However I wish for you to know that it is hard
It is hard to love someone who does not kiss back
Who sits
And watches me try
And I cry silently, my Love
Praying you'll notice these tears dripping down...
And God, the futility of This act is much too raw for me to bare
God, my attempt to love...
Give me something back."

It never materialised...If a Rose is a Rose and a Man's a Man for aw that, then a Goal is a Goal. All the large Candy Contingent were just asking for was just one and it never came, leaving hearts broken and minds whirling as we trudged towards the exit, behind the goals, through the mud and through the Wan Man at a time Gate/Door and out onto the Vale of Clyde street still wondering how we never scored. I'm not saying she's frigid but she is definitely blowing hot and cold.

There's not much we haven't seen as
fans of the Beautiful Game. This is a scenario that we have all witness before, nic a goal and defend and count yourself unlucky you don't get another but don't count yourself lucky for getting the 3 points. You don't have to be the better team to win a game. I'm not saying that VOC were a bad team, I thought we shaded possession and territory and play but they shaded chances and the only thing that matters, goals. Like us at Camby a few weeks ago, they rode their luck at times but could have nicked another couple themselves in the second half to add to their first half effort, a smashed into the roof of the net blast from 8 yards after a well delivered free kick was scrambled, mumbled and fumbled by a slip sliding Candy rear guard who ended up strewn over the ground like extras from Hamburger Hill.

Before the match I went into the home dressing room for a catch up chat with my old one time coach, raconteur, some say mad man and VOC manager Ian Currie. We had a great catch up as he massaged the calf of some wee whippet who would soon run and run and run. He told me about the farce against Thorniewood when he put the wrong player ID number down for a player who had been with him for 3 years he said. "It's hard enough without getting done for a genuine mistake big man" They are struggling for numbers he says, does a lot of stuff on his own he says and the lads hardly get a coin he says, but they are a good bunch he says. He says a lot does Big IC. "Watch the wee number 10" he told me. Apparently a prospect when he was young, "He doesn't train but needs to be played." After a good 15 mins on the trials of life and junior football we promised another wee drink after the game and I went to sample a welcoming hot coffee and pie with my old man in the ramshackle tardis like portacabin which was far better inside than it looked from the outside. Unfortunately for us it was to be more Dr No points as opposed to Dr Who.

We started a makeshift side with a few injuries, some on the bench and some in the shed. We actually played not too bad throughout but with a misfiring toothless front line it was a frustrating game for us. Lots of possession but no real efforts that troubled their rather short keeper. We made changes in personnel and formation but nothing worked. Too often we were rushed in the vital areas and our technique went out of the window, we could hardly deliver a decent corner or free kick, whether that was due to the underfoot conditions or our personal ability and mentality is up for debate and fans around me had their own opinions. A disappointment for me is that when we need people to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drag us screaming and fighting back into a game.. well, it seems to be missing. I don't think it is an acceptance of our plight, I think though that certain players have certain skills and abilities and as one former astute manager (Not big Currie!) told me "If your pipes burst, don't call an electrician". Get people to do what they are good at and don't expect people to be what they are not or do what they can't. I was looking for a chest beating Tarzan type but it wasn't there. Despite playing 52 minutes in the second half according to their manager ("I See"') and causing him to delay a wedding he was going to, The David Schwimner lookalike ref blew up and it was another 3 points lost to one of the so called lesser teams. Perhaps I expect too much from my love?? I want her to scrub up and dress smart and wow me.. yesterday she was in her working gear but never dazzled me. What can you do though?? These are the away games that league winners win.

"I See"'took on the Candy fans himself as he stood behind their dug out on a lofty ridge in front of the Candy Shed and traded insults and banter like the seasoned junior football guy he is. Good banter and he complimented the fans right on full time for their excellent support. He joined in the banter for the whole game and one particular piece of joviality tickled me when the ref was speaking to a player and then turned away.. a Candy fan shouted "Hey ref, he's giving you the finger now" to be greeted by a retort from the bench-jacketed bruiser "That's the problem, I think he likes the finger". VOC had some good players that belie their current position. Bob, Banjo, Sal and the pre warned number 10 Edinho (is that not a Leith prostitute?) , by the time the game finished I felt like I knew them because of Big Ian's cultured shouting enhanced and seasoned with age.

I feel like I'm looking at another women now so back to the Clumpy Candy.... we had our own good banter as I heard one wee guy ask his mate.."What's a 50 year thing? Anniversary type?"
"Golden" came the answer
"Is this yer golden birthday ya awl bstd?" I loved the preparation and delivery, it's always good to do your research before you insult someone.

We just couldn't score. Like a wee spotty teenager on a Friday night with all the patter, I couldn't score either. You can't win if you can't score, no matter how much you love her. Sometimes there isn't anything you can do but watch it all unfold before your eyes. It's only a game and we move on with big games ahead and our destiny, like auld Meg's tail, in our own hand.

"But to see her was to love her;
Love but her, and love for ever.
Had we never lov'd sae kindly,
Had we never lov'd sae blindly,
Never met-or never parted,
We had ne'er been broken-hearted."

Mon the Candy!
MTC

IMG_1485701105.070576.thumb.jpg.c60ca24d

In a long season and in a league where everyone can beat everyone else, there are some games which can take on massive significance. Tomorrow we welcome Larkhall to JMcG for a 2nd vs 3rd clash which could go a long way to setting the tone for our Potential Promotion Pushing run in. The lads are already working on the playing surface to get everything ready and I can't wait. We did everything bar score last weekend and if you combine that with our ability and the fact we have won lost won lost recently then it all mixes into a perfect Candy Storm. One thing is for sure, there will be a Cracking Candy Crowd and atmosphere and again this is a game where the result really is all that matters.
Mon the Candy!
MTCIMG_1486146950.176439.jpg

After a pitch inspection it's GAME ON!!! 2pm KO vs Larkhall At JMcG.
Get yourself along and support the lads in this crucial promotion chasing battle.
MON THE CANDY!! [emoji172][emoji460][emoji106]

Mon the Candy

Archived