The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

No Pricey it is a strict instruction that if not followed further action will be taken. As we are now in an appeal process it would not be right to discuss further but safe to say we find the "punishmenemt" disproportionate. We welcome instructions regarding future Stewarding etc but the is no justice in stripping a club of one of the main sources of income because they made an error with segregation/stewarding (FOR THE FIRST TIME) 

can you imagine brining your kids to Garngad and saying to them at 1.31 pm - no bother son you can get crisps and juice but can you wait till 4.30

we also have VIP days for sponsors etc - our estimates for the next 10 home games would be a potential loss of over £5k 

we we also got a grant recently to do up the lounge with the proviso that we were offering a quality lounge for EVERYONE's benefit on match days

I have said enough already - you have probably guessed O am a wee bit perturbed - my opinion is the committee have been too harsh and hopefully appeal will recognise this

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to miss the game today against Lesmahagow and wish the lads well. A victory for my birthday would be a welcome gift.

I know we are going to observe #SeansMinute and quite right too. I wrote only last week about the football family coming together to show support and today it will be region wide. Today I am spending my birthday taking my 9 year old daughter to see her fave DanTDM in Edinburgh. £100 I've shelled out for a meet&greet!! She is hyper and so it is worth every penny. It's only money, football is just a game but our kids are our life. My sincere condolences to Sean's friends and family. I am so glad I can do this today with my daughter. She is my world and I feel blessed.

MTC!

Seems like someone broke into the Candy shop and stole the last few posts?

Anyway, great work from the management and the lads who have had a fantastic start to the season and are playing some great stuff. It was a great result on Saturday. I didn't know about the "first time we haven't gone up and back down again straight away" record. Hopefully we can keep progressing and it looks like we are. Keep working hard boys and you will get the rewards.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Why do we bother?

Having returned to my childhood home in Glasgow after leaving 30 years ago, I am met, often at the strangest and most unexpected of times, with thought inducing vivid recollections and hazy memories from my past. I went to school with a wee guy called JJ. (Pronounced jai jai, he would clarify, not jay jay) I say wee guy cos that is what he was, not in stature but in physicality. I'd be surprised if he has hit 5 1/2 feet. His name bore a striking similarity to a wee right winger I played with on a tour of Northern Ireland back in the late 80's. This mercurial magician had the rather un-ambiguous monicker of Paddy Kelly and he wasn't looking forward to the team's being read out at Ballymena over the tannoy before the game. "Can they not just call me William Kelly? They'll fkn lynch me". It was there as a hardy band of Thistle fans followed us on a 4 day, 2 game, numerous pints pre season trip that I witnessed fans being a long way away from home with the ethos that the team are there so we need to be there. Wee John Joseph JJ Kelly was the same at school. A fanatic Celtic fan, he followed the team home and away with his dad, often arriving into school at 9am for a sleep, having arrived back late from a midweek Aberdeen away fixture packed into the football special, JJ lying in the over head luggage rack. "There are advantages of being wee" he often remarked. I used to wonder what possessed him to go to football every Saturday and midweek fixtures home and away just to watch when he could play? I played for the school on a Saturday morning, boys club on a Saturday afternoon and another game the next day in the Balornock Sunday league. I understand why now.......

JJ couldn't play well, he did try but a mixture of limited ability combined with his vertical challengedness meant that his love of the game flourished in a way that I didn't quite understand then, but get 100% now. Just like those fans whose 4 day lads holiday was disguised as a "Fitbaw tour tae folly the fissle" the life of the football fan and the importance of that 90 minutes when Saturday comes (or midweek!) has drilled down into me and I don't mind saying I love it. I am so looking forward to the game today probably not because we are likely to see silky super star skills but perhaps because we are not. My football now is imperfect perfection and salvation. The game provides the backdrop to the event which over the retirement years has grown to encompass the days before, the morning of the match the journey there, the anticipation of the warm up coffee, the journey home and match analysis and overnight ponderances and the purging of Pie & Bovril thoughts and formatting of the mind, then the calm over everything....all ready to go again. A welcome distraction. A part of life. A lifesaver.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Wishaw 3 - 1 St Roch's abandoned after 78 Mins due to a serious injury to wee Declan who was knocked out unconscious. Ambulance called. Hopefully the wee guy is ok. He had come round by the time fans left about 30 mins after incident. God knows what SJFA will

Wishaw 3 - 1 St Roch's abandoned after 78 Mins due to a serious injury to wee Declan who was knocked out unconscious. Ambulance called. Hopefully the wee guy is ok. He had come round by the time fans left about 30 mins after incident. God knows what SJFA will do....

First of all hope the young lad makes a full and speedy recovery. Never a nice sight.

This will probably be a replay but in all fairness wishaw were by far the better team today. 3-1 up, 11 minutes to go, the roch down to 10 and the flow of the game towards the roch goal. It was a very good game to watch with chance at both ends throughout the game. Full credit to Andy cameron who after the game had said wishaw deserved the tie and would also be willing to give wishaw a 2 goal lead if there was a replay.

A sour note today was the so called fan who decided to attack a member of the wishaw bench.
Hats off to faddy for helping to deal with the situation. Feel sorry for andy and the good guys at the roch having to deal with these situations.

First of all hope the young lad makes a full and speedy recovery. Never a nice sight.

This will probably be a replay but in all fairness wishaw were by far the better team today. 3-1 up, 11 minutes to go, the roch down to 10 and the flow of the game towards the roch goal. It was a very good game to watch with chance at both ends throughout the game. Full credit to Andy cameron who after the game had said wishaw deserved the tie and would also be willing to give wishaw a 2 goal lead if there was a replay.

A sour note today was the so called fan who decided to attack a member of the wishaw bench.
Hats off to faddy for helping to deal with the situation. Feel sorry for andy and the good guys at the roch having to deal with these situations.

A fair and unbiased post which has to be commended. The issue that we had was why the referee, after speaking to both managers who wanted to continue the game, came up with a "10 minute" rule. He pretty much gave the ambulance 10 minutes to get there and get the boy off the pitch. A rule that I believe doesn't exist. He stopped the game for a total of 16 minutes before abandoning it. Considering the young boy had been on his feet and then sat down I don't think this is particularly fair. For me the ref seen the easy way out. I hope the young boy makes a full recovery. He done really well for being one of St Roch's young boy's from the under 17's I believe. On the bad note it is not acceptable for a fan with a St Roch's jacket on to come round and attempt to punch one of our injured players. Totally out of order and will only tarnish the St Roch's name. Hopefully the sjfa take into account the timing of the stoppage and other factors into consideration when making their decision.

Young Declan Is in Wishaw General.

Have to agree Wishaw were better side today and if SjFA award them the points then so be it - we will not complain.

to be honest the Wishaw 3rdgoal was so far offside it was unbelievable so we had our grievances and the referee had sort of lost the game a bit

not sure what happened when the "fan" approached the Wishaw sub - but the wishaw staff seemed quite calm about it. One of Wishaw committee giving two fingers to St Roch's fans was probably not required either!!

Have a lot of time for Wishaw - good side and good people. Will post tomorrow about weeDeclan situation and thanks to the Wishaw guys for thier genuine concern - as I have said we deserved nothing from the game due to our poor second half performance!!! 

Andy 

Sometimes when you look forward to something so much it can become an anti-climax. Sometimes your dreams of what might be turn into a nightmare of what was. This much anticipated game, my golden ring of football, ended after 78 mins when the poor ref abandoned the game after an innocuous coming together on the far side corner resulted in a pole-axed Dec hitting the Deck and lie motionless till the ref blew to stop the game. 20 minutes later and with the ambulance called he shrilled twice more and the players trudged off and the fans drifted out. I am sure that everyone there today on both sides wish the wee man a speedy recovery and hope he wasn't too badly injured. It's only a game.....

Whilst we were totally outplayed bar a 2 minute spell just before half time, and whilst we were getting humped 3-1, and whilst it could have been 4-4 at half time and any score you wanted at the end, and whilst we lost shape and performance, and whilst our captain was sent off for a complete lack of self control, and whilst we had ten men, and whilst my dodgy ankle was aching and my other foot and whole body frozen, this game had everything and more and I actually enjoyed the day. A win and a good performance can make your day but I am too long in the tooth and too much of a pragmatist to take it too seriously. Be passionate, be partisan but don't be a p***k. My team don't have to win for me to enjoy the day and after a 30 foot banner accompanied by seasonal fireworks and flares greeted the first whistle at 2pm, smoke swirling snakelike across the pitch and casting a merry haze mixed by summer sunshine and blinding into our eyes, a few incidents made me smile. A young lad in front of us trying to open a packet of sweets whilst still wearing his goalie gloves, some interesting chants from the fans, our against the run of play first goal, the poor ref not only struggling with offside calls and stupid players on a card collecting exercise, but tussling with a stray black bin bag. He managed to send the wind powered rubbish receptacle to the sidelines... I bet he wished he could have got a grip of the game as well. I can take stick, I can tolerate a different view point without resorting to fighting so what I am going to say may not be universally popular... I'm going to back the ref a bit!! A lot of the problems we see in junior football can be put down to 2 things..... no linesmen and the attitude of some players. If you REALLY believe that the ref is cheating then you have given up on the game. Of course some are good and some are bad and some are just plain shite.. but how the hell they can call a tricky offside and get it right on their own? or handle an arsehole who hits someone off the ball or who dives or who swears at him or who blatantly cheats??? Well, I wouldn't do it for anything. This poor guy we had today didn't have a good game. I thought our goal was offside (good finish big man) and I thought their 3rd was offside too. I thought he made a call about the abandonment and he got stick for that too (what was he going to do? Move a kid who had been knocked out and was waiting on an ambulance?) the guy was on a hiding to nothing. Every decision is scrutinised and criticised if it goes against you and ignored if it goes for you. This result today had little to do with the ref and was all about us. If you can't admit when you are rotten then how can you take the credit when you are great? My eyes don't lie and even the most ardent Candy fan will admit we were second best to a Wishaw team who, whilst they didn't have any super star stand out performers to my eye, were stronger, faster, smarter and better organised than the Ragged Roch. All credit to them and they left us rung oot like Wishae Washing. A couple of their players did catch my eye and are worthy of a mention. Their marauding Tavernier-esque right back was full of energy and the diminutive love child of Wayne Sleep and Danny DiVito was excellent up front and caused us all sorts of trouble with his movement. He also took his goal well. For the Candy we were disappointingly out of sorts and looked lifeless and lethargic and lacking shape, drive and desire. Thankfully we don't have to witness that too often and I hope we don't see it again. Was it a coincidence that we had 2 of our starting first 11 suspended in the sidelines with our captain now due to join them? No matter what level you are at you cannot afford to pick up suspensions. When you add in a few injuries then our squad looked paper thin today. Despite secondbestness we could have scored a 2nd bang on half time which could have changed the game.. having said that big Starkie made a wonder save so it is swings and roundabouts. On a day when we saw more flares than flair, more piss than pass and an apathetic performance, I hope we have got our bad day at the office out of the way. This wasn't the Candy I know and I am sure that we will be better next time. I really don't think we could be worse. Precedent dictates that this game will have to be replayed but who the hell knows what the SJFA jokers will decide after their Shockingly Shitey "Shut the Shop" call. It could be hard luck for today's Wonderful Wishaw who came across a Rotten Roch. A word of warning though... that wasn't the Real Roch. We will be better next time.

The day had highs and lows but nothing was as high as the temperature of the boiling hot coffee and pies, surely warmed and forged from the old historic Ravenscraig furness which sat in mini Bella oven form in the porta-pie shack. The pie was still steaming 10 minutes into the second half and by then we were 2-1 down. I remember commenting at 1-0 up that we had better hope we hold out as I couldn't see us scoring again. Sadly I was right. The pies weren't the only thing steaming as a piece of pished poor behaviour caused a break in play as an altercation on the far side resulted in shaking heads amongst the majority of Candy fans. Others will have saw this better than me but it didn't look good. More friction as we all filed out with some "debating" the abandonment decision and calling into question the marital status of various parents at the time of their verbal opponent's birth. Handbags are fine, bawbags are not. I talked one nervous sort out of calling the police. Sometimes you just shake your head, listen and sigh.

The whole day and the event has become important to me, too important to let it be clouded and sullied by imperfection. We are not world beaters and no one can expect us to be on song every week. We were not just not on song we were a cats choir of off tune. That's what you get sometimes, it's not the end of the world. Regroup, learn and go again. There are better times ahead. It is these imperfections and faults and folly which colour the palate of our season and the day. If you can distance yourself and retain objectivity, don't take it too seriously and allow yourself to soak up the day and soak up the nonsense, well then you can joke up the day. In amongst the drama and hystrionics you can still enjoy it and thank god we can. We all need something to talk about. We all need something to WRITE about... well, some of us do. An eventful day, an eventful 78 minutes. Despite the bad I'm taking the good out of it and contenting myself with the fact that if we can't be that bad again, then it can only be even better next time.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Sometimes when you look forward to something so much it can become an anti-climax. Sometimes your dreams of what might be turn into a nightmare of what was. This much anticipated game, my golden ring of football, ended after 78 mins when the poor ref abandoned the game after an innocuous coming together on the far side corner resulted in a pole-axed Dec hitting the Deck and lie motionless till the ref blew to stop the game. 20 minutes later and with the ambulance called he shrilled twice more and the players trudged off and the fans drifted out. I am sure that everyone there today on both sides wish the wee man a speedy recovery and hope he wasn't too badly injured. It's only a game.....

Whilst we were totally outplayed bar a 2 minute spell just before half time, and whilst we were getting humped 3-1, and whilst it could have been 4-4 at half time and any score you wanted at the end, and whilst we lost shape and performance, and whilst our captain was sent off for a complete lack of self control, and whilst we had ten men, and whilst my dodgy ankle was aching and my other foot and whole body frozen, this game had everything and more and I actually enjoyed the day. A win and a good performance can make your day but I am too long in the tooth and too much of a pragmatist to take it too seriously. Be passionate, be partisan but don't be a p***k. My team don't have to win for me to enjoy the day and after a 30 foot banner accompanied by seasonal fireworks and flares greeted the first whistle at 2pm, smoke swirling snakelike across the pitch and casting a merry haze mixed by summer sunshine and blinding into our eyes, a few incidents made me smile. A young lad in front of us trying to open a packet of sweets whilst still wearing his goalie gloves, some interesting chants from the fans, our against the run of play first goal, the poor ref not only struggling with offside calls and stupid players on a card collecting exercise, but tussling with a stray black bin bag. He managed to send the wind powered rubbish receptacle to the sidelines... I bet he wished he could have got a grip of the game as well. I can take stick, I can tolerate a different view point without resorting to fighting so what I am going to say may not be universally popular... I'm going to back the ref a bit!! A lot of the problems we see in junior football can be put down to 2 things..... no linesmen and the attitude of some players. If you REALLY believe that the ref is cheating then you have given up on the game. Of course some are good and some are bad and some are just plain shite.. but how the hell they can call a tricky offside and get it right on their own? or handle an arsehole who hits someone off the ball or who dives or who swears at him or who blatantly cheats??? Well, I wouldn't do it for anything. This poor guy we had today didn't have a good game. I thought our goal was offside (good finish big man) and I thought their 3rd was offside too. I thought he made a call about the abandonment and he got stick for that too (what was he going to do? Move a kid who had been knocked out and was waiting on an ambulance?) the guy was on a hiding to nothing. Every decision is scrutinised and criticised if it goes against you and ignored if it goes for you. This result today had little to do with the ref and was all about us. If you can't admit when you are rotten then how can you take the credit when you are great? My eyes don't lie and even the most ardent Candy fan will admit we were second best to a Wishaw team who, whilst they didn't have any super star stand out performers to my eye, were stronger, faster, smarter and better organised than the Ragged Roch. All credit to them and they left us rung oot like Wishae Washing. A couple of their players did catch my eye and are worthy of a mention. Their marauding Tavernier-esque right back was full of energy and the diminutive love child of Wayne Sleep and Danny DiVito was excellent up front and caused us all sorts of trouble with his movement. He also took his goal well. For the Candy we were disappointingly out of sorts and looked lifeless and lethargic and lacking shape, drive and desire. Thankfully we don't have to witness that too often and I hope we don't see it again. Was it a coincidence that we had 2 of our starting first 11 suspended in the sidelines with our captain now due to join them? No matter what level you are at you cannot afford to pick up suspensions. When you add in a few injuries then our squad looked paper thin today. Despite secondbestness we could have scored a 2nd bang on half time which could have changed the game.. having said that big Starkie made a wonder save so it is swings and roundabouts. On a day when we saw more flares than flair, more piss than pass and an apathetic performance, I hope we have got our bad day at the office out of the way. This wasn't the Candy I know and I am sure that we will be better next time. I really don't think we could be worse. Precedent dictates that this game will have to be replayed but who the hell knows what the SJFA jokers will decide after their Shockingly Shitey "Shut the Shop" call. It could be hard luck for today's Wonderful Wishaw who came across a Rotten Roch. A word of warning though... that wasn't the Real Roch. We will be better next time.

The day had highs and lows but nothing was as high as the temperature of the boiling hot coffee and pies, surely warmed and forged from the old historic Ravenscraig furness which sat in mini Bella oven form in the porta-pie shack. The pie was still steaming 10 minutes into the second half and by then we were 2-1 down. I remember commenting at 1-0 up that we had better hope we hold out as I couldn't see us scoring again. Sadly I was right. The pies weren't the only thing steaming as a piece of pished poor behaviour caused a break in play as an altercation on the far side resulted in shaking heads amongst the majority of Candy fans. Others will have saw this better than me but it didn't look good. More friction as we all filed out with some "debating" the abandonment decision and calling into question the marital status of various parents at the time of their verbal opponent's birth. Handbags are fine, bawbags are not. I talked one nervous sort out of calling the police. Sometimes you just shake your head, listen and sigh.

The whole day and the event has become important to me, too important to let it be clouded and sullied by imperfection. We are not world beaters and no one can expect us to be on song every week. We were not just not on song we were a cats choir of off tune. That's what you get sometimes, it's not the end of the world. Regroup, learn and go again. There are better times ahead. It is these imperfections and faults and folly which colour the palate of our season and the day. If you can distance yourself and retain objectivity, don't take it too seriously and allow yourself to soak up the day and soak up the nonsense, well then you can joke up the day. In amongst the drama and hystrionics you can still enjoy it and thank god we can. We all need something to talk about. We all need something to WRITE about... well, some of us do. An eventful day, an eventful 78 minutes. Despite the bad I'm taking the good out of it and contenting myself with the fact that if we can't be that bad again, then it can only be even better next time.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Good post Kinky very articulate. I am keen though to understand how you have came to the conclusion the the abandonment was correct? Why did the game have to be abandoned at that time?? Very specific in other matters other than the main one which could have potentially lost us 3 points. For me the abandonment was totally unnecessary.

Archived