FA Cup - extra substitute - rationale - have you ever heard such a load of rubbish

dee_62

Saw on the BBC that the English FA are looking to introduce an extra substitute in extra time from the quarter finals of the FA Cup onwards...fair enough, whatever floats your boat...and this is how it's being positioned:

FA chief executive Martin Glenn said the move will add "intrigue and interest", adding that "player welfare" had also been a consideration.
"It is important The FA continues to look at how it can further add to the drama and spectacle of a competition loved by millions," he added.
The FA's decision to scrap replays from the quarter-final stage was another factor in the move.
"With the cup now adopting a straight knockout format from the quarter-finals onwards, the introduction of a fourth substitute in extra time will bring extra intrigue and interest," Glenn said.
"Also, from a technical point of view, it will be interesting to see how managers use the chance to make an additional substitution in such high-profile games and the impact it has on the final result."

I know the English FA can talk up just about anything but really? Am I missing something? It is just an extra bloody substutute isn't it?

Surely this will only benefit the biggest clubs who have strong benches anyway? And since it's from the quarter final stages anyway, again it helps out the bigger clubs. Having said all that, I imagine it won't be long until clubs are allowed to make 5 subs from a bench of 11 anyway so it's not a huge thing and I suppose it's analogous to players getting an extra challenge in a tie break in tennis or an additional time out in overtime in US sports. 

The marketing speak is horrific but the real crime is only introducing this at the quarter final stage. It's just another sop to the chosen few. If player welfare was genuinely one of the reasons then it would be for any game which went to extra time, which is a fair enough move.

The marketing speak is horrific but the real crime is only introducing this at the quarter final stage. It's just another sop to the chosen few. If player welfare was genuinely one of the reasons then it would be for any game which went to extra time, which is a fair enough move.

It is, games only go to extra time at the quarter final stage

4 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

They go to extra time if replays are level after 90 mins in the rounds prior to the QFs. The 4th sub rule should apply to any competition with extra time though no matter what stage it's at.

It makes complete sense that if you get 3 subs in 90 minutes, you get 1 more for an extra 30 minutes. I've said so for years though I never actually thought it would happen in the real world. IFAB have allowed it to be "trialled" in certain test competitions from this year, for a couple of seasons, although I have to say I'm not sure what exactly needs trialled or tested.

However, the FA's marketing speak is just cringe-worthy, and as noted you have to question why it's only being permitted from QFs.

What is actually more significant is the decision to abolish QF replays. With SFs and Final being played at Wembley clearly no need for replays there, but this makes the FA Cup QFs like the League Cup: result-on-the-day. Seems to be suspicion that this is a "slippery slope". It's been widely reported that EPL... and possibly the FA itself, in another of those acts of vain appeasement it seems to go in for... would like to abolish FA Cup replays and play the competition midweek, perhaps even with seeding.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 14:29, NathanQP said:

I know they abolished QF replays from this season, but have they also abolished extra-time in replays (i.e. up to and including R5)? I hadn't seen that reported.

On 28/07/2016 at 14:37, 7-2 said:

They go to extra time if replays are level after 90 mins in the rounds prior to the QFs. The 4th sub rule should apply to any competition with extra time though no matter what stage it's at.

On 28/07/2016 at 15:03, Mark Connolly said:

Good idea. Awful attempt to justify it.

And pretty stupid to only have it for the last 3 rounds of a competition that has 14.

yup, if anything the smaller squad teams in the early rounds, whos guys play week after week as squad rotation isnt possible, should get this rule more than the 25man epl squads that are rotated on a regular basis

Perhaps the justification for not allowing it in early rounds is that some teams have very small squads and might be at a disadvantage... especially if we're including the amateurs/semi-pros in the qualifying rounds. By the time you get to the QF pretty much everyone is gonna have a sizeable squad.

Archived