Right-Wing Chip Papers

Cream Cheese

I've been noticing a lot lately when i've been visiting different shops (from small news agents to super market giants) that when I have a look through the newspaper section, all of the papers that are neatly stacked and in plain view are papers such as the Telegraph, Scotsman, Daily Mail, Express (and pretty much anything owned by Murdoch). Then below these neatly stacked stands is the "shite pile", where left leaning papers are scattered all over the place, hidden under a heap of weirdos magazines.

Is it just me and the shops i'm visiting. Or has anybody else noticed this to be the case?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

List of the top mainstream UK papers. Their political ideology and daily circulation figures.

Right Wing Papers

The Daily Telegraph - 489,739
The Sunday Telegraph - 374,617
The Times - 396,621
The Sunday Times - 839, 077
Financial Times - 234,193 
Daily Mail - 2,105,365
Daily Express - 255,250
Sunday Express - 176,826
Mail on Sunday - 1,555,977
The Sun - 1,178,548
The Sun on Sunday - 679,519
Daily Star - 424,453
Daily Star Sunday - 310,063

Average Daily Circulation - 9,000,000

Left Wing Papers

The Guardian - 161,152
The Observer - 214,644
Daily Mirror - 897,786
Sunday Mirror - 1,845,683
The Morning Star - 10,000
Sunday People - 277,021

Average Daily Circulation - 3,400,000

Couple of things from that - one, if the Daily Heil is the top selling daily newspaper now, that's fucking terrifying. Two, that's an amazing drop in circulation from The Sun. Last time I looked, they were still "selling" about five million.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

The only paper worth buying is The FT and to call it right wing is ignorant.

Anything that doesn't pander to left-wing dogma is wrong and by default therefore 'right wing'.

2 hours ago, Cream Cheese said:

List of the top mainstream UK papers. Their political ideology and daily circulation figures.

Needs a source.

Fails to account for online readership.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Fair enough. On social matters its fairly central, i'll give you that. But it's economically neo liberal. They backed the ConDem coalition to the hilt between 2010-2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom#Broadsheet_and_former_broadsheet_newspapers

7 hours ago, banana said:

Needs a source.

Fails to account for online readership.

The sources are from wiki, which I assume they've taken from circulation figures released from each newspaper company. Not sure if online readership figures are commonly released.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2016 at 02:43, The_Kincardine said:

It historically supported Thatcher and Reagan, while recently it supported the coalition government of the Lib/Tories, so economically speaking it's extremely right-wing.

However, you're right to point out it stands head and shoulders above the national press in terms of criticism and overall openness of reporting.

The readership numbers of the Daily Mail aren't surprising, and it's a paper that's read (seemingly) almost exclusively by the elderly.  Have a look in an old dear's shopping trolley in Asda and you'll often as not see a copy of the Daily Mail.  Old boy on the bus? Odds are he's got a Daily Mail under his arm.

It's a horrendous newspaper and for a lot of people it and the BBC news are the only source of news for these people.

Little wonder they're (obviously with a few exceptions) right wing, brexit supporting No voters.

Have some of THAT, Unionists.

:)

On 8/9/2016 at 08:22, Fide said:

The readership numbers of the Daily Mail aren't surprising, and it's a paper that's read (seemingly) almost exclusively by the elderly.  Have a look in an old dear's shopping trolley in Asda and you'll often as not see a copy of the Daily Mail.  Old boy on the bus? Odds are he's got a Daily Mail under his arm.

It's a horrendous newspaper and for a lot of people it and the BBC news are the only source of news for these people.

Little wonder they're (obviously with a few exceptions) right wing, brexit supporting No voters.

Have some of THAT, Unionists.

:)

If only that were true - it seems to be the paper of choice amongst a majority of my colleagues at work. The same colleagues who moan like f*ck that the POA haven't managed to overturn Government policy on Public Sector Pensions, retirement age and a seven-year (and counting) pay freeze. Oh, and don't believe in Industrial Action - apparently we should have magic fucking wands to make things all better - or trust NOMS to treat us as human beings doing a difficult job*. And yes, the mood at our place was overwhelmingly pro-brexit**. Sometimes I despair.

*I think the magic wand route is probably more realistic, tbh.

**Before the referendum at least. They all seem a wee bit confused now.

10 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If only that were true - it seems to be the paper of choice amongst a majority of my colleagues at work. The same colleagues who moan like f*ck that the POA haven't managed to overturn Government policy on Public Sector Pensions, retirement age and a seven-year (and counting) pay freeze. Oh, and don't believe in Industrial Action - apparently we should have magic fucking wands to make things all better - or trust NOMS to treat us as human beings doing a difficult job*. And yes, the mood at our place was overwhelmingly pro-brexit**. Sometimes I despair.

*I think the magic wand route is probably more realistic, tbh.

**Before the referendum at least. They all seem a wee bit confused now.

You clearly work with a shower of utter c***s.

3 hours ago, Fide said:

You clearly work with a shower of utter c***s.

No more than any random grouping of the Great British Electorate, tbf - but I certainly feel that our population has a much higher ratio of utter cúnts than it used to. All about entitlement over reponsibilities, material possessions being the most important measure of a person, and simply not caring about anything or anyone outside their wee bubble. 

If John Logie Baird had seen what his invention would do to mankind, he'd have binned the prototype and gone for a walk instead.

Archived