Volunteering abroad

Central

Has anyone got any experience of travelling abroad and volunteering? Contract ends in March and I'm looking into a few different options. Just back from Mexico so fancy the marine conservation stuff over there through GVI and also having a look at Camp America.

48 minutes ago, Central said:

having a look at Camp America.

Beast imo!

11 hours ago, Central said:

Has anyone got any experience of travelling abroad and volunteering? Contract ends in March and I'm looking into a few different options. Just back from Mexico so fancy the marine conservation stuff over there through GVI and also having a look at Camp America.

It's worth checking out religious charities first, you might get your flights paid at least, if you stay uncommitted about the God stuff. I was booked on a trip to Sierra Leone a few years ago to do some plumbing work (they don't trust the locals so they'd rather fly out a European with next to no plumbing experience), but there was a big fall out between the Welsh Methodists and the English Methodists over funding, so as far as I know there is still a container full of equipment sitting in Belfast docks, and the hospital in Sierra Leone is still waiting.

I've not volunteered myself but have spoken to quite a few who have. The general advice has been to pick a location in which you want to work, go there, then look for opportunities. Also, that you should never pay for volunteering. There are plenty of dodgy companies out there so be careful and do your research before signing up. I met someone in Ghana who had flown out and paid a four figure sum to do football coaching. The bulk of his fee was supposed to go towards equipment but for forty players he had two balls and one bib while the organiser was driving around in a new BMW. Obviously, if you have something specific in mind like Camp America then that's fine, but if your thoughts are "I'd like to help in an orphanage" then I'd advise to pick a region you'd like to work in, go there then ask around orphanages yourself.

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Why go abroad when we need volunteers in Scotland?

Oh I see you just want to go on holiday.

Perhaps he wants to volunteer and go on a holiday. Nothing wrong with that. Volunteering abroad often gives you skills and experience that you wouldn't get volunteering at home, putting you in a better position to contribute to society upon your return. This isn't someone asking for you to fund their sky dive or jaunt up Kilimanjaro. There are plenty of valid criticisms of overseas volunteering, but I'm not sure wanting to see a new part of the world is one of them.

There are plenty of reputable groups in Scotland who are looking for volunteers in Scotland to be able to place them overseas - try

http://ivsgb.org/info/

Based in Edinburgh and was talking to them on Tuesday about a volunteering role in Croatia.

On 28/07/2016 at 00:01, mjw said:

16b3dd7ce5e6d780154917270d696f26.jpg
These lads are always on the look out for fresh volunteers.

They get paid.

Wage starts around $1000usd per month and free accommodation 

Archived