Best Runners Up

craigkillie

There's only one game to go in most groups, so the qualification picture is starting to clear up a little bit.  It looks as though 8 or 9 points might be needed in order to secure a best runner-up spot, but it's still theoretically possible to go through with as few as 6.

The table below shows a basic summary of the minimum and maximum theoretical totals that the 2nd placed club could have in each group.  There are at least 3 groups where the runners-up will have more than 6 points, so only a very bizarre chain of events would lead to anyone on 6 going through.  There are already 2 groups which are guaranteed to have more than 7 points, so 7 is also looking very shaky, which makes progression for Dundee seem unlikely.

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 15.53.39.png

Won't the maximum 2nd place amount of points in Group A be 8???

If Peterhead win on Saturday they will win the group with 9 points and we'll be 2nd with 8!!!

I've got the max for group A as 8 as well, and group G's max of 9 is with a +3GD only so for us, any sort of win on Saturday will put us above those 2 and group B.  Then will just need to hope results everywhere else go our way but 9 pts and +4 GD might not even be enough if Killie score a boatload and QotS win by a couple.

18 minutes ago, Faddy88 said:

I've got the max for group A as 8 as well, and group G's max of 9 is with a +3GD only so for us, any sort of win on Saturday will put us above those 2 and group B.  Then will just need to hope results everywhere else go our way but 9 pts and +4 GD might not even be enough if Killie score a boatload and QotS win by a couple.

Group G could still be 9 and better than +3 GD. There is an extra game to go in that group. Two wins for Accies and one for St Mirren will see three teams finish on 9. St Mirren are currently -1 but they could clock up a cricket score conceivably.

7 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Won't the maximum 2nd place amount of points in Group A be 8???

7 hours ago, Faddy88 said:

I've got the max for group A as 8 as well

Aye, you're both right.  I've edited the original post to reflect this.

Just now, Sarto Mutiny said:

Dundee United don't play until the Sunday, which helps us although it is probably unfair on the teams in the other groups. We'll know exactly what we need to do to go through by then.

I would go for:

A united win = certainly through

A win on Penalties = 95% chance of being enough

Lose on penalties = probably oot

Lose in Normal time = oot and Pars have to wait and see. ( Pars would have been through if goal difference hadn't got a kicking last night)

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've put together a rather lengthy rundown of the qualification permutations for the weekend.

Having looked at that, I reckon 9 points will be needed to qualify in 2nd place, and it's even possible that someone with 9 points might miss out on goal difference.

Not read your rundown yet but I'd say it's near certain someone on 9 points will miss out and fairly probable two teams will. I expect wins in theory for Raith, Motherwell, QoS, Inverness, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Hamilton and St Mirren. If that happens two teams will be runners up with 9 points and go out.

(Note - a Raith draw would also leave the runner up in that group on 9 and either Hamilton or St Mirren not winning would still leave the runner up in that group on 9 as long as one of them wins. Also Dundee Utd winning on penalties or losing in 90 mins would still result in someone reaching 9 and Motherwell losing to Stranraer would too)

There's only one game to go in most groups, so the qualification picture is starting to clear up a little bit.  It looks as though 8 or 9 points might be needed in order to secure a best runner-up spot, but it's still theoretically possible to go through with as few as 6.

The table below shows a basic summary of the minimum and maximum theoretical totals that the 2nd placed club could have in each group.  There are at least 3 groups where the runners-up will have more than 6 points, so only a very bizarre chain of events would lead to anyone on 6 going through.  There are already 2 groups which are guaranteed to have more than 7 points, so 7 is also looking very shaky, which makes progression for Dundee seem unlikely.

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 15.53.39.png

The fact that raith could fail to qualify by having 9 points and being undefeated makes this table a bit pointless and seriously inaccurate.

20 hours ago, foreverarover said:

The fact that raith could fail to qualify by having 9 points and being undefeated makes this table a bit pointless and seriously inaccurate.

Eh?  The table is entirely accurate and worthwhile, regardless of whether you agree with the format or not.

Archived