League cup structure. . .

mart1

After nearly two weeks of the newly structured league cup, I'm struggling to find this anymore appealing the original knockout tournament. I appreciate that it gives the club's a platform to support fitness heading into the season however it seems like another pointless attempt at making this trophy meaningful.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your a fucking tit if you don't think going into this weekend with all sorts of permutations around winning groups, seeding and best placed runners up isn't more interesting than Clyde putting east fife out on penalties on a Tuesday night.

How will the seeding actually work for the next round? Not seen it confirmed anywhere.

The tournament has been a tremendous success so far.

The groups certainly haven't gone as expected, with the holders going out before the last group games and teams like Dundee and Kilmarnock struggling in what should have been easy groups for them.

Whilst I'm not normally a fan of seedlings, they have undoubtedly helped maintain an interest in all of the games, with every club striving to achieve at least a strong goal difference to either see them through or ensure they go through as a seeded team.  I also thought the penalty shoot-out was a bit cringey and mental at first, but again it's worked an absolute treat.

I'd much rather spend my time and money on the League Cup than meaningless, dross friendlies.

Well done to those in charge for once

After nearly two weeks of the newly structured league cup, I'm struggling to find this anymore appealing the original knockout tournament. I appreciate that it gives the club's a platform to support fitness heading into the season however it seems like another pointless attempt at making this trophy meaningful.

Completely disagree. I like this. It adds interest to a fairly dull time in the season.

Not perfect but credit where credit is due to the governing bodies for trying something different and overall I'd say it's been a success. I don't know the financial figures but surely it must benefit clubs through attendances, TV money and a big sponsor? The only real downside I can see for the clubs is have four competitive games in quick succession. 

From a fans perspective it'll be more exciting for some teams, particularly those outside the Premiership but surely a club will be more ready for the league campaign by playing friendly games? 

A coach will be trying to get as much game time for their squad as possible yet they can only bring on 3 players. It would make sense to change the rule to a maximum of 5 subs.

I think it's been great as a pre-season curtain raiser. Far more exciting than your average friendly game and the seeding has given fans a chance to visit new grounds that they probably haven't been to for a competitive game. Going into the last round there are still many permutations and the potential for a few upsets with the penalty bonus points adding to this. That's before you even mention the money brought in from the extra games and TV coverage. 

I think the BBC should have made the effort to put on Sportscene highlights for each matchday. You would just need a couple of cameras to get the goals from the smaller games and have longer coverage of a select few big games. 

A few people have mentioned including more subs but that would probably turn it more towards a friendly competition with play being disrupted in the second half. You could maybe have one extra available but any more than that could devalue the matches.

Overall, I think it's going pretty well and at times I've wished the Dons had been involved, maybe if it's still around in it's current form when we turn sh1te again.

Nobody puts a gun to the manager's head and insists that they play the same starting eleven each match. And most sides probably don't - we certainly rested a couple of players after playing them in the first two matches, before our slightly changed side pumped Kilmarnock on Saturday. In terms of giving your entire squad game time in a competitive match, the group offers better opportunities than a stack of friendlies at a snail's pace, plus a knock-out tie. 

The new format has been mostly positive - we'll see if the novelty wears off, but with the much looser geographic rules for the groups and a credible sponsorship package in place as an incentive, I don't see that happening. The fact that it has enraged a couple of gormless pub team managers, who couldn't take advantage of the surprisingly weak top seeds and do something in the tournament themselves has been an added bonus. 

9 minutes ago, thepundit said:

From a fans perspective it'll be more exciting for some teams, particularly those outside the Premiership but surely a club will be more ready for the league campaign by playing friendly games? 

A coach will be trying to get as much game time for their squad as possible yet they can only bring on 3 players. It would make sense to change the rule to a maximum of 5 subs.

Teams will be more ready for the League campaign, having already played some meaningful, competitive games.

Introducing more subs would devalue the competition and simply favour those with greater resources and bigger squads to a yet further degree.  Everyone's allowed the same number of subs, so fools like Hartley have no legitimate complaint.

A win on Saturday will see Thistle progress as a seeded team. Queen of the South are in good position to qualify as a best placed runner-up. If this were to happen would it be possible for the teams to be drawn against each other in the last sixteen having met in the group stage?

Also interesting to note that there's only been a couple of 0-0s (Both involving Albion Rovers) so far and the top 4 second place teams actively encourages teams running up the score on dross rather than knock the ball about for 30 minutes in the second half and there has been scalps so it has been a rather entertaining spectacle though the only downside will be teams not knowing they are through until they've checked a full accumulator.

Archived