Airport Lounges. Any Views?

alta-pete

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I'd say so - went there at the end of January. Unlimited booze (most spirits, beer etc), standard nibbles like crisps, nuts and biscuits, and some hot food which is just a pasta dish. The pasta is big standard, but for £20 each for unlimited booze I'd say it's worthwhile - you more than get your money's worth. I was just having tiger beer and bailey's really (la di da)

Thanks for the info guys [emoji574]

I don't really understand the appeal of airport lounges but willing to be open minded.

I can see why having somewhere a little more relaxing would be good, but not for £20. To get your money's worth drink wise you'd have to force down 5 pints in an hour and a half.

My girlfriend has never flown before & she can knock back the vodkas for Scotland[emoji4]So i thought it would maybe save me money & Instead of giving witherspoons my hard earned dosh.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I don't really understand the appeal of airport lounges but willing to be open minded.

When one flew business class and could still smoke, lounges used to be terrific..a nice place for frequent fliers to have a dram and a cigarette before the flight was announced.

They've now been overrun by utter bellends who like a quinoa salad and broccoli smoothies.

I can see why having somewhere a little more relaxing would be good, but not for £20. To get your money's worth drink wise you'd have to force down 5 pints in an hour and a half.

It depends on what your drink of choice is of course.

On 28/02/2017 at 03:43, The_Kincardine said:

When one flew business class and could still smoke, lounges used to be terrific..a nice place for frequent fliers to have a dram and a cigarette before the flight was announced.

They've now been overrun by utter bellends who like a quinoa salad and broccoli smoothies.

Yes.  People who eat healthily are, indeed, "bellends".

EDIT: speaking of course, as one who enjoys both the faux-nutritious salads and the free booze in the lounges available in the finer airports of the world.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Is there anything to stop you rocking up to the Lounge say, 8 hours before your flight, in order to get your money's worth?!

Not if you are flying business class.  The only problem will be if you've got checked luggage as the lounge will be airside and you'll need to wait for the check in to open, in most cases.    If you've purchased access, it's usually three or four hours.

Some of the Middle Eastern airlines offer hotel access if you've got a very long layover, and indeed Qatar Airways will pay for a day visa and a tour of Doha, should you be so inclined.  

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Is there anything to stop you rocking up to the Lounge say, 8 hours before your flight, in order to get your money's worth?!

57 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

If you check in online and just use a bagdrop etc then no not really. But if you have a dedicated check in desk etc it might be harder.

Pay in lounges will have a 3 or 4 hr limit

As an aside from all the comparisons of booze youd have to tank to get your moneys worth, lounges are also usually fairly quiet. It's nice to get away from the noise and bustle of the proles

33 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Not so much now, the one at Glasgow last time I was in was full of Marmaris bound neds(im not knocking Turkey just that's where they were going) , we ended up just leaving and going to Frankie and Bennys which was quieter and had better food for around the same price you'd pay into a lounge, albeit I dont drink.

I dont pay into lounges but Aspire lounges are now full  of these types, so when i fly klm/air france i rarely go in(they use aspire in the uk)

I once had to book flights to Manchester at less than 48 hours notice for work and could only get a "premium economy" ticket, which gave lounge access.

The lounge in Inverness is nothing bigger than someone's living room, but you're left to it and there are no holiday-bound roasters due to a lack of destinations. Nice place to relax more than anything.

The Escape lounge in Manchester is pretty much no different than a Wetherspoons but with free food. Hen parties, loud children, the lot. If you have to pay for it then it's not worth it.

Archived