Airport Lounges. Any Views?

alta-pete

Am flying off on holiday from Edinburgh at the unusually sociable hour of 3pm. Both the airline and credit card have given me offers to use the No.1 Lounge for what is effectively £50 for four people. Includes a meal, free wifi, papers, magazines and apparently unlimited free drink for a couple of hours before departure.

Seems too good to be true. Have any PnBers previously partaken in such luxury?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have used them on a number of occasions but all our recent flights have been early morning so it's a bit pointless.  The last one I was had (I think Glasgow but could have been Edinburgh) had changed for the worse.  No more self service for drinks as Gunther mentions and poorer selection of food; but at £12.50 a head you're as well finding out for yourself.

Enjoy!

12 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Am flying off on holiday from Edinburgh at the unusually sociable hour of 3pm. Both the airline and credit card have given me offers to use the No.1 Lounge for what is effectively £50 for four people. Includes a meal, free wifi, papers, magazines and apparently unlimited free drink for a couple of hours before departure.

Seems too good to be true. Have any PnBers previously partaken in such luxury?

Edinburgh airport's lounge is rubbish relatively speaking (Virgin Atlantic's at Heathrow or Turkish Air's at Ataturk are frankly absurd) but for £50 for four folk, you'd be mad not to take it.  If you have two beers, a spirit and a burger each, you've probably saved at least £50 on the horrid Weatherspoons.  I'd be all over that.  You can stretch it out to four hours, I think.  

ETA: Edinburgh doesn't have self-service booze though.  

Thank you all. You're right; at the price it can't fail.

And a tip for anyone interested - I put my holiday money on one those prepay debit cards from Caxton and its they who give you the walk up 2 for 1 entry.

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do they have space in these establishments for traditional gentlemen to puff on a pipe or cigar?

We're the new lepers, chap.  I was a Diners Club card holder for many years and didn't mind the annual fee as it gave you lounge access in most airports and they had great customer service (eg I lost my card in New York and they cleared my hotel bill and advanced me $600 for expenses via a local Chase bank branch) but most lounges are now non-smoking, even in The Middle East.  I stopped the card and now stay landside for as long as possible.

We're the new lepers, chap.  I was a Diners Club card holder for many years and didn't mind the annual fee as it gave you lounge access in most airports and they had great customer service (eg I lost my card in New York and they cleared my hotel bill and advanced me $600 for expenses via a local Chase bank branch) but most lounges are now non-smoking, even in The Middle East.  I stopped the card and now stay landside for as long as possible.

There are still a few havens of sanity. Dublin has a proper beer garden airside, Birmingham has a pub with a balcony.

P.S. The glass air conditioned boxes like Aberdeen used to? have are horrendous.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

P.S. The glass air conditioned boxes like Aberdeen used to?

We lived between Banchory and Aboyne for years (hence my moniker) and I'd regularly get the last flight to Heathrow and, of course, would buy a pint then go to the wee glass sheds to smoke.

Shock horror when they took them down in 2006 and I didn't get the memo but had a pint in hand.

Going without a smoke for 8-12 hours is fine...I've done that often enough.  Buying a pint, expecting a roll-up and then being thwarted is fucking torture.

Going without a smoke for 8-12 hours is fine...I've done that often enough.  Buying a pint, expecting a roll-up and then being thwarted is fucking torture.

Aye, I have no problem on long flights if I know how long it's going to be. Flew to Washington a while back all chilled out until it took nearly 3 hours to get through security. Biting my tongue was seriously hard to a bunch over officious jobsworths. Mind you, if I get pissed off now I just go into the airport bogs for a quick rollie, they're hardly going to evacuate an airport because an alarm gets a vague waft. Same in hotels, I think the only way you can set them off is if you blow cigar smoke straight into them. Wouldn't risk it on a plane though.

We lived between Banchory and Aboyne for years (hence my moniker) and I'd regularly get the last flight to Heathrow and, of course, would buy a pint then go to the wee glass sheds to smoke.

Shock horror when they took them down in 2006 and I didn't get the memo but had a pint in hand.

I don't smoke anymore but I did when I went to Switzerland a few years ago. Walked into this backed smoking box at Geneva airport, stood there for a few moments and contemplated not bothering lighting a cigarette because it was so full of smoke I wondered if I actually needed to.

I learnt to play guitar in Kincardine O'Neill, not relevant but always liked the place (and the complete unpredictability of whether the pub on the high street would actually be open or not).

2 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I learnt to play guitar in Kincardine O'Neill, not relevant but always liked the place (and the complete unpredictability of whether the pub on the high street would actually be open or not).

Kincardine O'Neill is a beautiful place plus the filling station would fill your car with petrol, check the pressure in your tyres and add water/screenwash on request.

We had to 'move south' again because of my work but I could make a good argument for that part of the country being one of the best places to live and bring up bairns compared to most of The UK.

Im at the stage where an airport lounge is somewhere i can get away from the hustle and bustle of a busy airport,i honestly cant remember the last time i piled in to the free bevy.Ataturk turkish airlines lounge is probably the best going in the world just now (as someone mentioned)

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Im at the stage where an airport lounge is somewhere i can get away from the hustle and bustle of a busy airport,i honestly cant remember the last time i piled in to the free bevy.Ataturk turkish airlines lounge is probably the best going in the world just now (as someone mentioned)

Totally agree.  Stepping out of the main holding pen into the private lounge mid morning in Glasgow during the height of the holiday season is like being transported into an oasis of tranquility.

On 27 July 2016 at 19:30, welshbairn said:

Aye, I have no problem on long flights if I know how long it's going to be. Flew to Washington a while back all chilled out until it took nearly 3 hours to get through security. Biting my tongue was seriously hard to a bunch over officious jobsworths. Mind you, if I get pissed off now I just go into the airport bogs for a quick rollie, they're hardly going to evacuate an airport because an alarm gets a vague waft. Same in hotels, I think the only way you can set them off is if you blow cigar smoke straight into them. Wouldn't risk it on a plane though.

Does having to sneak into the toilet to secretly have a smoke not put you off smoking altogether? The idea of needing something to that extent seems horrible to me.

The Emirates lounges I've been in at Glasgow, Dubai, Singapore and Brisbane are the absolute tits.

Emirates in Glasgow is decent but some of the ones in Dubai are a bit shit.

Singapore Airlines in Singapore was outstanding. Best I've ever been in. Food was superb and range of drinks excellent!

The airport lounges in Manila were rotten. Basically just a roped off area to sit and help yourself to food/drink that wasn't even to a great standard.

10 hours ago, Mitch said:

Emirates in Glasgow is decent but some of the ones in Dubai are a bit shit.

Im not a fan of dubais business lounge they are too fricking big,however the first class lounge is really good

Archived