Bet Fred Cup Last 16 draw and seeding plans

Guest DAVIDB69

Guest DAVIDB69

The draw confirmed as Sunday I assume will they still have top 8 seeding system in place.

I assume the sponsors will be hoping a few top league sides drop out so rangers can become seeded.

If not will they really allow a possible old firm game at such short notice.

With rangers finishing their fixtures tonight and some clubs still just having played 2 games. I also assume that Rangers were consulted as to when they wanted their games played.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a look but haven't seen anything in the press releases regarding the format about the last 16 being seeded.

If it is seeded on last year's league position, then Hibs will be unseeded despite getting a bye to this stage. Also, if a non-Premiership team wins the group and a Premiership team goes through as one of the best 4 runners up, seems a bit backwards to then reward the Premiership team by giving them on paper an easier set of opponents. So I'm hoping it's unseeded but it probably will be seeded.

Are the last sixteen definitely seeded?  I was looking for this on the SPFL site/Betfred rules and it's just says the group stage is seeded reverting to simple knockout from round 2.  Not sure!

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

A clear and consistent message coming across in the posts so far.

Just to add to that I'm sure it was confirmed by Derek Rae on twitter that the seeds will be the four euro teams and the four 'best' group winners with the other group winners and best runners up unseeded

No confirmation from the SPFL, unsurprisingly.

33 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Just to add to that I'm sure it was confirmed by Derek Rae on twitter that the seeds will be the four euro teams and the four 'best' group winners with the other group winners and best runners up unseeded

No confirmation from the SPFL, unsurprisingly.

That is correct. It was circulated to the clubs but the new rules werent up on the SPFL website last time I checked.

Last 16 is seeded with the 8 seeds to be 4 Euro teams and best 4 group winners by points, GD and away goals .

Last 8 is an unseeded open draw. With Rangers likely to make 12 points in winning their group the conspiracy theorists will be happy to see the OF wont be drawn together.

1 minute ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Interesting that Dundee United and Dunfermline will know exactly what they need to do on Sunday then

Hadnt realised they were playing after everyone else. Thats a bit off. Particularly if there is an outcome that will end up suiting both.

Guest DAVIDB69
Hadnt realised they were playing after everyone else. Thats a bit off. Particularly if there is an outcome that will end up suiting both.

It's now confirmed as live on tv as well

23 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Interesting that Dundee United and Dunfermline will know exactly what they need to do on Sunday then

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yep noticed that today. Poor show given this could easily influence the fate of teams in the other groups. This from an organisation that insisted final league games were all moved to a Sunday to tie in with TV coverage even if some fixtures couldn`t possibly influence the promotion/relegation/play off issues. Pathetic really.

Guest DAVIDB69

So with this new seeding system I assume you can draw a team again that you have qualified out a group with

So with this new seeding system I assume you can draw a team again that you have qualified out a group with

I was just about to ask that question. I'd like to think they'd be kept apart for the last 16 anyway.

20 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

It's now confirmed as live on tv as well

Which channel?  Not on Sky planner.  A future league game against Falkirk has just been confirmed on Alba.

Guest DAVIDB69
Which channel?  Not on Sky planner.  A future league game against Falkirk has just been confirmed on Alba.

BT Sport this Sunday

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep noticed that today. Poor show given this could easily influence the fate of teams in the other groups. This from an organisation that insisted final league games were all moved to a Sunday to tie in with TV coverage even if some fixtures couldn`t possibly influence the promotion/relegation/play off issues. Pathetic really.

Agreed. Of course the nature of the format with one team idle each fixture round makes it physically impossible for all clubs to finish at the same time but that doesnt excuse consciously creating such a situation. Are they playing Sunday because Dundee are playing Saturday? The game was set for Sunday before tv picked it up. If so then it surely would have been feasible to find a fixture list that didnt leave the two Dundee sides at home on the final weekend.

Archived