Bet Fred Cup Last 16 draw and seeding plans

Guest DAVIDB69

I don't think there was ever an explanation for it being Sunday, so would assume it was just because Dundee were at home the same weekend. The other game in the group was initially scheduled for Sunday as well, but Inverness and Arbroath agreed to move it to Saturday. There will justifiably be outrage if a draw suits both sides and the last 20 minutes are played out tamely to ensure that result. Although I'd take it if it does work out that way and we go through, it definitely isn't right and should not have happened like this. The league had absolute flexibility over how it scheduled the games, so it does seem outrageously stupid to have a fixture clash on the only day of the 5 that it actually matters.

I'm also a bit puzzled that away goals are used after points and goal difference to decide the four best sides. That's stupid when some teams will have the two weaker sides away while others will have them at home. Obviously it can never be completely fair to compare across different groups, but away goals is a daft metric to use.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like there'll be a bit of a fight for the final seeded place. Rangers are already guaranteed, with Partick and St Johnstone having played their 'tough' matches with two L1/L2 teams to come you'd expect them to finish on 12 points too.

Alloa can secure a seeded place by beating both Ross County and Raith, or Dunfermline can do so by beating both Inverness and Dundee United.

After that it would be a team on 11 points that do it, and that it'll be decided on the controversial GD/away goals nonsense between groups.

Possible teams at the moment who could do it are Raith (GD + 2, Alloa at home), East Fife (GD + 3, Forfar away) and Morton (GD + 3, Berwick at home).

Alloa or Dunfermline of course could join this group by winning one and winning on penalties in their remaining matches.

Looks like there'll be a 'diddy' seeded at least in the next round - two if you include Hibs!

15 hours ago, Paco said:

Looks like there'll be a bit of a fight for the final seeded place. Rangers are already guaranteed, with Partick and St Johnstone having played their 'tough' matches with two L1/L2 teams to come you'd expect them to finish on 12 points too.

St Johnstone can't get any more than 10 points now. And will get less than this when we pump them. 

Wibble. 

As an aside it's worth noting that when the original announcements on the new cup format were made at the turn of the year, it was said the knockout stages would be unseeded. It is minor, but I'd have liked that to have been honoured to make things more "open".

Id be amazed if we were one of the seeded sides, regardless of whether or not we actually manage to win the group.

On 7/25/2016 at 23:23, Socks said:

I don't think there was ever an explanation for it being Sunday, so would assume it was just because Dundee were at home the same weekend. The other game in the group was initially scheduled for Sunday as well, but Inverness and Arbroath agreed to move it to Saturday. There will justifiably be outrage if a draw suits both sides and the last 20 minutes are played out tamely to ensure that result. Although I'd take it if it does work out that way and we go through, it definitely isn't right and should not have happened like this. The league had absolute flexibility over how it scheduled the games, so it does seem outrageously stupid to have a fixture clash on the only day of the 5 that it actually matters.

I'm also a bit puzzled that away goals are used after points and goal difference to decide the four best sides. That's stupid when some teams will have the two weaker sides away while others will have them at home. Obviously it can never be completely fair to compare across different groups, but away goals is a daft metric to use.

It's goals scored after goal difference, then away goals.

From the site;

If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) drawing of lots.

Agree though that it's daft for the reasons you mention.

As a tie-breaker, away goals / away wins is rather dodgy when you only play half the teams at home and half the teams away, isn't it?

Chances of it actually coming into play must be fairly low, but one club might have had home games against unseeded SPFL1/2 sides, whereas another against tougher opponents.

Also surprised they haven't included points won in 90 minutes (i.e. excluding bonus points) as a tie-breaker.

EDIT: Actually that's exactly the point Socks was making, about not playing home-and-away. Read the quotes, HJ...

I'm amazed that folk are getting so worked up about the minutiae of this competition.

I think it's been OK, the penalty thing has been a bit of a novelty and added a wee bit of drama, and it's better than meaningless friendlies IMO.

The seeding thing is a bit of a joke but hey ho.

58 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Seeded

Celtic
Hibs
Aberdeen
Hearts
Rangers
Alloa
Partick Thistle
Morton

Unseeded

Peterhead
St Johnstone
Inverness CT
Queen of the South
Motherwell
Hamilton
Ayr United
Dundee Utd/Dunfermline

BBCesque reporting there Craig.

Seeds Alloa and Morton will be a popular draw

Form an orderly queue for Lee 'Bonucci' Kilday's back pocket then. Zero goals conceded and not about to start against the unseeded dross.

Seeded

Celtic
Hibs
Aberdeen
Hearts
Rangers
Alloa
Partick Thistle
Morton

Unseeded

Peterhead
St Johnstone
Inverness CT
Queen of the South
Motherwell
Hamilton
Ayr United
Dundee Utd/Dunfermline

Without the bonus points it would have been.

Celtic
Rangers
Partick
Hibs
Aberdeen
Hearts
Alloa
ICT

Morton
Hamilton
St Johnstone
Dundee