Nuclear deterrent.

Romeo

Nuclear Weapons  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have them because the Platinum members are threatening to run riot on P&B with their new found "15" each power.

I really don't see the point in having a nuclear deterrent, we are already allies with the United States who have and have used them. Any country who uses the nuclear option is sure to be scudded themselves with all sorts of political world powers.

In this day and age the nuclear deterrent is like having to pay for something you will never ever use because it is intended never to be used. I could see the point during the cold war when the old Soviet Union was threatening to use them but not in the modern world surely?

If say?, Iran had a nuclear capability and used it to flatten London, would we really use it return?, would we really flatten the whole of Iran with nuclear weapons?, most likely we would level their country by conventional weapons because of the global implications of a nuclear fallout because we have that capability not to actually use the nuclear option with our allies.

As a species, we're fascinated by massive explosions. I'm amazed more nukes haven't been fired off yet, but it'll be a miracle if our end doesn't come at the hands of man-made weapons of some description.

About fifteen years ago, I saw a documentary about the nuking of Japan, which finished with a short segment on how modern warheads make Fat Man and Little Boy look like firecrackers. It ended with some scientist talking about how they were working on some kind of weapon that would be capable of destroying everything on a sixth of the world's surface. He seemed absolutely fucking delighted by this, which sums our species up pretty well for me.

38 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As a species, we're fascinated by massive explosions. I'm amazed more nukes haven't been fired off yet, but it'll be a miracle if our end doesn't come at the hands of man-made weapons of some description.

About fifteen years ago, I saw a documentary about the nuking of Japan, which finished with a short segment on how modern warheads make Fat Man and Little Boy look like firecrackers. It ended with some scientist talking about how they were working on some kind of weapon that would be capable of destroying everything on a sixth of the world's surface. He seemed absolutely fucking delighted by this, which sums our species up pretty well for me.

There are departments working on how to neutralise nuclear radiation as quickly as possible, we're all fucked if they do? They'll just bomb any country into oblivion and then send in the clean up squad. Scary stuff if they manage to do it.

10 hours ago, mjw said:

They could hire those clean up teams to towns who've had a visit from the old firm.
It'd give them some practical experience.

Or they could just try cleaning up Motherwell? Would give them experience of dealing with deformed mutants too.

• 3 weeks later...

We're told that these WMD's are a deterrent yet it seems we keep have to sending jets & the navy to keep the Russians out of our air space & waters so it's really not doing it's job that well.

Also, they told us Iraq had these WMD's & it didn't quite 'deter' anyone from invading them did it.

We're told that these WMD's are a deterrent yet it seems we keep have to sending jets & the navy to keep the Russians out of our air space & waters so it's really not doing it's job that well.

Also, they told us Iraq had these WMD's & it didn't quite 'deter' anyone from invading them did it.

The WMD's Iraq had were no threat to the politicians sitting comfortably at home,so invasion was easy for them.Nukes,different story.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived