The social disease that is senior football

ManOnABike

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I have lived in four or five different places in Central Scotland and I have never once supported my local club.

If you're a Falkirk fan I would expect you to remain a Falkirk fan no matter where you move to. 

I assume you originated from Falkirk which makes you being a Falkirk fan 100% understandable and I wouldn't expect any less in supporting your home town team.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

If you're a Falkirk fan I would expect you to remain a Falkirk fan no matter where you move to. 

I assume you originated from Falkirk which makes you being a Falkirk fan 100% understandable and I wouldn't expect any less in supporting your home town team.

I've never had Falkirk as my closest team at any stage of my life.

People have plenty of reasons for supporting a team. Location is only one of those potential reasons.

Support who you like.

I support Dunfermline because they are my local team. I'm in love with them.

Been surrounded by Old Firm gash all my life like most others guys, personally I've no time for them.

But like I said support who you like.

1 hour ago, Quantum Leap said:

You haven't got any fans and its your open mouth that's the own goal.
Wee Troon backward troll.

My fans would disagree.  I haven't lived in Troon for 6 years that's some rare fresh patter you roll out every time you smash your keyboard in rage at me. 

Any other ZzZzZzZzingers? 

Just now, itzdrk said:

My fans would disagree.  I haven't lived in Troon for 6 years that's some rare fresh patter you roll out every time you smash your keyboard in rage at me. 

Any other ZzZzZzZzingers? 

mmm, not sure you bagged that one being honest. But never give up.

th.jpg

6 hours ago, Shooboax said:

Support who you like.

I support Dunfermline because they are my local team. I'm in love with them.

Been surrounded by Old Firm gash all my life like most others guys, personally I've no time for them.

But like I said support who you like.

7 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I've never had Falkirk as my closest team at any stage of my life.

People have plenty of reasons for supporting a team. Location is only one of those potential reasons.

Like you both said, support/follow/be a fan of who you like for whatever reasons you like but how do you define "supporting" a team? The definition would suggest that some form of monetary support given towards said Club but how much? A season ticket? a couple of games a season? a replica kit? Additionally, how do you define a "fan" or a "follower" too?

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Cute

Going by the photo in your avatar, beast is probably a more apposite epithet for you.

Oh dear. I thought we might get some discussion about junior football, as I assumed it was well accepted how dreadful the senior game is. What do you call the mickey mouse level that senior Scottish teams have to play in their pre pre pre qualififying for Europe games? Could we not have a team called 'Roond the backie Wanderers', think it would fit the level.

Anyone fancy being a performance director for the SFA? Vacancy exists again but seems to have been decided we don't need such a person after all. How much did that debacle cost? Anyone bought their 1970s style strip for Ayr United. It's not the strip that is 1970s style, but the mindset of those who thought up the publicity. 

The directors of limited companies (whether football clubs or not) are legally bound to maximize the return to shareholders. So no do-gooding going on there. Junior clubs are different as owned by their supporters (Am I repeating myself here?). And the 'community' club as defined by the SFA is TOTALLY different from the community club that is your junior team. One has limitless access to PR people, press releases, t shirts to hand out, plaques and badges to give away, while the other lot have just been doing it and getting on with it for over 100 years. 

A bit like talking to myself, except the justice minister, the Scottish Government, the UK Government agree. And the good thing is, they can and will do something about it.

Think the basis of my original post is the junior game needs to be careful who it cosies up to. If we are seen to be an arms length version of the SFA/SPFL then we can be tainted by association, especially when they crash and burn. 

So standing on our own feet, what should we do?

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The bit I've made bold - Junior clubs can easily take the moral high ground when it comes to value for money... £5/£6 to get into what can quite often be an end-to-end, exciting match even if the football isn't the prettiest, and where a good crunching tackle isn't penalised when the ball is won fairly.

In recent seasons I've seen both Bo'ness and Linlithgow have good runs in the Scottish cup disposing of senior sides in the process.

In a nutshell, the admission prices of Senior football would suggest it's 4, 5, or 6 times better quality or entertainment than the Juniors. It definitely isn't, and fans of senior clubs are being completely ripped off which is why every week we see half or 3/4's empty soulless stadiums riddled with vacant plastic seats.

Agree with this bit and to take it even further a few years ago within a close proximity when we had no game I went to cappielow for a third tier senior game between Morton and Dunfermline and couldn't believe they were charging £15 entrance fee . 

Only a few weeks later I went to Germany for hertha v Werder bremen in the bundesliga and it was 20 euros with free rail travel all day , a ground that's been good enough to host both  the world cup final and champions league final in the last 14 years , no wonder Germany has the highest attendances in Europe and scotland toils , for what it's worth the Morton v Dunfermline game was more polished than junior football but not three times better financially and if I never purchased my return train ticket to cartsdyke then I would have turned back the way after seeing the £15 entrance fee, how on earth can that attract neutrals? 

Can't get my quote function to work but in answer go sjc....
I too define the term supporter as a financial contributor, ideally as a season ticket holder. As one old friend of mine puts it, "Ma money's at Talbot even if am no'". This guy rarely misses a game I hasten to add. Whereas myself, I am now a fan as I no longer live there and so don't attend or contribute financially. Still love the club though.

Going by the photo in your avatar, beast is probably a more apposite epithet for you.

Thats head roaster of Kilmarnock Gordon 'weans greetin on the telly' Sawers.

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Thats head roaster of Kilmarnock Gordon 'weans greetin on the telly' Sawers.

Course it is mate, course it is.

Oh dear. I thought we might get some discussion about junior football, as I assumed it was well accepted how dreadful the senior game is. What do you call the mickey mouse level that senior Scottish teams have to play in their pre pre pre qualififying for Europe games? Could we not have a team called 'Roond the backie Wanderers', think it would fit the level.

Anyone fancy being a performance director for the SFA? Vacancy exists again but seems to have been decided we don't need such a person after all. How much did that debacle cost? Anyone bought their 1970s style strip for Ayr United. It's not the strip that is 1970s style, but the mindset of those who thought up the publicity. 

The directors of limited companies (whether football clubs or not) are legally bound to maximize the return to shareholders. So no do-gooding going on there. Junior clubs are different as owned by their supporters (Am I repeating myself here?). And the 'community' club as defined by the SFA is TOTALLY different from the community club that is your junior team. One has limitless access to PR people, press releases, t shirts to hand out, plaques and badges to give away, while the other lot have just been doing it and getting on with it for over 100 years. 

A bit like talking to myself, except the justice minister, the Scottish Government, the UK Government agree. And the good thing is, they can and will do something about it.

Think the basis of my original post is the junior game needs to be careful who it cosies up to. If we are seen to be an arms length version of the SFA/SPFL then we can be tainted by association, especially when they crash and burn. 

So standing on our own feet, what should we do?

Its not surprising that backwards types like yourself are all over the local leagues for local people nonsense.

To then attempt to sneer at clubs trying to compete on a continental stage is also pretty hilarious, the juniors version of that would be?

What is it you think the government are going to do? I look forward to this answer greatly.

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Its not surprising that backwards types like yourself are all over the local leagues for local people nonsense.

To then attempt to sneer at clubs trying to compete on a continental stage is also pretty hilarious, the juniors version of that would be?

What is it you think the government are going to do? I look forward to this answer greatly.

Do you still have what looks like the bridge of the Titanic up the back of the uncovered terracing at Somerset Park?

itzdrk, just to enlighten you so we can collectively compensate for your lack of emotional intelligence.

You're coming across as trying way too hard neeb. Your patter is tragic and it's all looking like a big sweaty pile of jobbies at your abode.

Worst comeback in the history of jobby comebacks ''CUTE'' ...100% on the cringe-o-meter. 

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:
16 minutes ago, hareskirky said:

You say Scotland toils but per capita Scotland has best attendances in Europe for population. 

Jesus Christ only yourself could spin what the old firm boost scottish crowds figures wise to suggest the crowds are healthy and average the best in Europe . Senior crowds in scotland in the main are a Shambles  and played out in grounds that are very rarely half full . Crazy stat you produced there ️To try and make it sound like a popular product and all it really told us is that the old firm create huge figures and stats which we all know anyway .  

Archived