Signings and a Challenge ???

goalmachine

Not sure who Hurlford have signed but I know a few that shortlees have signed and I know that they will both be really strong this season. I think glenburn won't be far behind them but it'll be shortlees and Hurlford fighting it out in my opinion. Teams are finding it increasingly harder to attract players to their club year after year and with the sheer volume of teams out there needing players compared to the numbers of players available and wanting to play it's not looking good for a lot of well run, honest clubs.

I have only been involved in the amateur game a few years and this topic rears its head every single day. The ayrshire amateur committee cannot do anything in regards to players receiving payments from clubs without having overwhelming evidence to back up the claim was what i have been told from an extremely reliable source on the ayrshire committee. There is no real combative way to resolve the claims against several clubs doing this which is a real shame. Other than opposition trying to raise there game against the alleged teams.  

3 hours ago, CD 1972 said:

Not sure who Hurlford have signed but I know a few that shortlees have signed and I know that they will both be really strong this season. I think glenburn won't be far behind them but it'll be shortlees and Hurlford fighting it out in my opinion. Teams are finding it increasingly harder to attract players to their club year after year and with the sheer volume of teams out there needing players compared to the numbers of players available and wanting to play it's not looking good for a lot of well run, honest clubs.

The established clubs like yourself are indeed finding it harder but it is not solely due to the alleged payment of players to clubs its the whole ayrshire package thats causing people not to bother. New and recent clubs like catrine,new farm, shortlees etc founded there clubs based on there local catchment area and the knowledge that immediate local players will play for the badge and club and some of the players are drawn to play for their area. What can established clubs do is the point your making here and i feel its about finding the usp of the club. In your case Clark Drives unique selling point is the fantastic set up from changing facilities, the best playing surface in ayrshire, Its a successful established club. 

Next point is referees. Now we all wouldnt be one , we all shout abuse at them, there job is a tough one particular at amateur been there in the middle themselves. I have encountered a variety of refs ones that wont leave the centre of the park, ones that are up with play, ones that want to blow for everything, the card happy etc.. The league struggles to attract refs full stop without them we dont have a game.. The issue i encounter 9times out of 10 with refs is the power trip they have. Alot of players respect refs who simply answer a players request to why he has gave a foul instead of been shouted back at, sometimes carded etc. Everyone knows there human and even if they have gave a foul and realise afterwards maybe i was wrong. I dont know how afa deal with there refs but i feel a consistency is lacking throughout our refs. Does ayrshire have regular ref meetings, are there guidelines set out by the league with regards to referee conduct if so i dont see it been enforced or the weaker ones improving. I have spoken to a number of ex juniors, and boys who have watched amateur games saying thats there sole reason for not partaking in amateur football. I for one became disillusioned with the game for a few weeks due to a ref who made a serious of horrendous decisions in a game i was involved in.

The league structure and running. Generally this is a great positive in the ayrshire amateurs all fixtures are up in plenty of time and all cups etc and drawn with ample time to arrange parks etc. website is well run also. The refusal of teams into the structure however is one that baffles me why anyone would reject hard working people who try there upmost to get 11 or more people to training and games arranging strips parks, refs etc. The committee should be embracing these men and committees of clubs as they could take these people on board and help with the overall league running. I heard last season of a cup final without medals. The afa select team should be managed by a person who is non affiliated with a club and can get out to see games across all the divisions. Not to take anything away from the success of last season it just makes more sense and logic as a few people were up in arms about players getting overlooked due to them not playing with the bigger clubs or the managers club. I feel alot of boys clubs lack continuity on to the amateur game and i feel the afa should be looking to link up with the u18s/u21s of ayrshire and try get these clubs to start or continue with there squads into the amateur or actively seek in aiding these clubs to progress there players further into the ams. 

As for the original topic. You have seen a rise in shortlees as you have seen players that are disgruntled with hurlford thistle going to the one team in order to put a stop to there domination in ayrshire.  Also seeing the team spirit first hand of shortlees you do realise alot of them are close friends playing together. The premier league will have more than one team challenging for the first time in ages. 

Unfortunately being a well run established club with the points you've already made aren't enough these days to attract the players u want, it's a different generation with different values in terms of what they see as important when they are looking for a club.

You talk about we all wouldn't be a ref but we need them and they do a pretty good job. You need to remember that an individual player probably makes more mistakes than the ref. Anyhow I see from Ayrshire refs website that they have courses running soon. If you're not getting a game or you think you could do better, maybe now is the time to give it a try

3 hours ago, CD 1972 said:

Unfortunately being a well run established club with the points you've already made aren't enough these days to attract the players u want, it's a different generation with different values in terms of what they see as important when they are looking for a club.

Its something i am saddened to hear in particular for a club like yourselves. What sort of response do you get from these players that turn the chance down?

58 minutes ago, humpitupthepark said:

You talk about we all wouldn't be a ref but we need them and they do a pretty good job. You need to remember that an individual player probably makes more mistakes than the ref. Anyhow I see from Ayrshire refs website that they have courses running soon. If you're not getting a game or you think you could do better, maybe now is the time to give it a try

I for one make alot more mistakes than these men in the middle during 90mins. The general concensus is the attitude of refs during a 90min game that frustrates alot of players. Sadly i have at least another 7years playing in me before i contemplate hanging up the boots. As stated its not for me i dont think i could do a better job. I was merely stating what seems to be a common occurrance when refs are discussed at this level from both players and folk who watch from the side. Its a thankless job. 

On 24/07/2016 at 16:49, lastnameontheteamsheet said:

Glenburn beaten 4-2 off a strong Dalry Thistle side yesterday. Not a bad result by any means, could do well this season but shortlees and hurlford are a pay grade above. Literally.

Cheek wae glenburns pay structure lol

Archived