A-League 2016/17

Eednud

Like WA I doubt SA could support a 2nd team. Not sure about Brisbane though and a third team from either Melbourne or Sydney wouldn't go down too well with the existing clubs in either city. So apart bringing in a team from Wollongong maybe it will have to be Canberra or have another try on the Gold Coast. Just read that Tony Walmsley is no longer the Mariners coach.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wollongong Wolves and a reformed Canberra City would be the better choices IMO, but that depends whether they want to expand into "new" areas or go for the safe bet of a southern suburbs Sydney team.

Once they go to 12, then that is maybe the time to look at tier 2, if they can make it work, then that is the environment to add a few ex NSL teams, plus try again with Gold Coast, FNQ plus Geelong, Brisbane2, Sydney3, Hobart maybe.

They'd need to tie in financing with a new TV deal or league sponsorship.

My only gripe with a tier2 of East coasters is if Perth get relegated it could spell the end of them. As I'd imagine TV revenue would be less than that of the A-league and we're only a club with a average attendance of 11-12k flying to the likes of Edinburgh to Moscow most weeks for games.

Maybe it is better for all to keep the NPL like a NASL type league and keep the A-league separate like the MLS but open it up to 12 teams

I think in the short to medium term you're correct, they need to look at establishing a solid second tier before they can even consider prom/rel, that could take 10 years. They need to be in a position where relegation doesn't mean financial oblivion for clubs.  Fair point about Glory, maybe they could have an exemption, which used to happen in the old NSL days.

Nah bollocks to that. It sounds like something one of the cockwombles in charge of Scottish football would come up with. If you finish bottom, you're relegated.

I really can't see an A League 2 ever happening, certainly not in the next 10 years.

11 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Nah bollocks to that. It sounds like something one of the cockwombles in charge of Scottish football would come up with. If you finish bottom, you're relegated.

I really can't see an A League 2 ever happening, certainly not in the next 10 years.

Yeah but slightly different geographical challenges here!

You might be right, but I think the relative success of NPL clubs in the FFA Cup will strengthen calls for something to happen eventually. Short term though, expand the A League.

I had forgotten all about relegation from the old NSL then remembered West Adelaide finished bottom one year and didn't go down but 2nd bottom did. This also happened with Canberra or one of the Brisbane clubs. Sure they stopped relegation in the early/mid 90's though. 

In regards to the FFA cup, it really needs a AFC champs league spot for the winner, to give it more of a edge rather than the equivalent of our league cup

We can have up to 4 teams in the ACL but it's worked on a coefficient system. We had 3 this year but Adelaide United lost in the play-off round. For the 2017 ACL Brisbane Roar are in the play-off round with Adelaide United and WSW straight to the group stages.

Redlands Utd, Manly Utd or some other diddy state league in the ACL would be tremendous. Am sure there will be some sort of rule/requirement stopping them from entering though.

It would add more spark to the competition if a NPL, 200 average crowd team manages to get into the ACL.

As for the 4 slots, the two group entrants should go to A-league winner and Ffa cup winner, the other two slots should go to A-league minor winner and grand final runner up

Talking of the Melbourne Knights they are in action tonight in the last lot of FFA Cup 1st Round ties at home to Cockburn City from WA. Now why is that word pronounced Coburn? TV game is Wollongong Wolves v Sydney FC and which has the potential to be the largest crowd of the night, if not the round. Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory is being played at Ballymore which is the HQ for rugby union in Queensland. Last tie is Devonport City from Tasmania against the juicy Lambton Jaffas from Newcastle. They have a thistle in their badge but can't see any reference to Scottish heritage on their website or Wikipedia entry but Newcastle was a major steel producing city with loads of coal mines nearby there would have been a few Scots in the area.

Looking forward to the glory match tonight, definitely tie of the round. The Wolves game should be a good game too. I went and put a sneaky fiver on wolves at $18 to win

As for coburn Cockburn. I've never heard of a word with two silent letters mid word. Stupid Aussies

As for coburn Cockburn. I've never heard of a word with two silent letters mid word. Stupid Aussies

Eh? Cockburnspath in Scotland is pronounced Co-burnspath. Stupid Scots!

Wollongong aren't going well in the State league (2nd bottom, lost 6 of the last 7) but you just have a feeling. Will be interesting to see what the crowd is. Lovely day in Sydney today which was different to previous week's when it was cold and very wet.

Wollongong aren't going well in the State league (2nd bottom, lost 6 of the last 7) but you just have a feeling. Will be interesting to see what the crowd is. Lovely day in Sydney today which was different to previous week's when it was cold and very wet.

That's the magic of the cup though, always the potential for a upset

Archived