An Open Letter To The SAFA

thegaffersview

The majority of the amateur players pay a tenner a week to play because it is their hobby. The playing field is so uneven now though because of a large number of clubs taking the monopoly of the good players because the can offer them money or Class A

The sentiment is excellent but there is no way that the governing body will have the resources available to conduct investigations into clubs' financial affairs or man whistleblowing hotlines.
Something does need to be done however

It's been an open secret for years that a fair proportion  - though not all - of the top end of the amateur game in Scotland has been amateur in name only. I've never really understood the motivation behind those that enable it - it's not like it's a hugely high-profile grade of football, and they must know in their heart of hearts that titles etc. won contrary to the spirit of the amateurs carry as much real glory and kudos as a steroid-fuelled Russian Olympic medal.

How to tackle it is the issue rather than the question of whether it exists or not.

There is no way to effectively police this. The only way to tackle it that I can see is by introducing a pyramid system and by basically removing the incentive to plough money in. Have 2 levels of contracts for all clubs, amateur (which a player can tear up with a couple of weeks notice) and professional (which is binding until expired or a transfer fee is agreed). Clubs will find their level, which will more often than not reflect how much money they're putting in, resulting in an even playing field. 

Do what the English FA did 42 years ago and abolish the distinction between Professional and Amateur status, everyone is just a football player, a club is just a football club.

Of course, that would effectively mean the end of the SAFA, but there you go, its another Scottish football anachronism the same as the SJFA.

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

There is no way to effectively police this. The only way to tackle it that I can see is by introducing a pyramid system and by basically removing the incentive to plough money in. Have 2 levels of contracts for all clubs, amateur (which a player can tear up with a couple of weeks notice) and professional (which is binding until expired or a transfer fee is agreed). Clubs will find their level, which will more often than not reflect how much money they're putting in, resulting in an even playing field. 

We already have that with registrations / contracts, bar the ability to tear up amateur ones with no cause to protect the likes of QP from poaching. If a player doesn't play for 28 days though I think he can request release?

Archived