Post EU referendum result job losses/gains.

cyderspaceman

How many ACTUAL jobs have been lost or created since June 23rd? How many instances of companies cutting production or moving it elsewhere. Or increasing production , as the case may be.

Also how many new trade deals have been struck and how many have been lost?

Or even just good or bad points about being on the way out of the EU.

"13 things the European Union gave us which we took for granted every day"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/13-things-european-union-gave-8257113

1. Paid annual leave
  2. Maternity leave
  3. Equal pay
  4. Cheap flights
  5. Time off work each week
  6. Clear food labelling
  7. Parental leave
  8. Cleaner water and air
  9. Non-discrimination
  10. Healthcare on holiday
  11. Freedom of movement
  12. Safety at work
  13. Sickness rights

Whichever company manufactures pessimism must be taking on plenty of staff at the moment. :rolleyes:

You can stop now.
Bishop Briggs isn't competing with you anymore to be the resident know it all smart c**t.

1 hour ago, mjw said:

You can stop now.
Bishop Briggs isn't competing with you anymore to be the resident know it all smart c**t.

Having a different opinion on the EU referendum?  If you look back at my posts pre-referendum, I have posted that I expected a short term challenges if we voted to leave.  I was quite willing to accept the result whichever way it turned out, just as I did with the Indy ref.  The smart c***s are the ones on here posting about all the negative stories being printed by the same press that was castigated during the Indy vote and using this as some sort of validation that the wrong decision has been made.  Jesus, we have had someone post about a statement from a company that is US based and generates about $6.5m dollars in revenue as if this is representative of the whole UK economy.

I would suggest that if you don't like my posts that you put me on ignore or just don't read them.  Much as I tend to do with yours.

2 hours ago, FlyerTon said:

1. Paid annual leave
  2. Maternity leave
  3. Equal pay
  4. Cheap flights
  6. Clear food labelling
  7. Parental leave
  8. Cleaner water and air
  9. Non-discrimination
  11. Freedom of movement
  12. Safety at work
  13. Sickness rights

Those damn bureaucrats, trying to dictate our lives by giving us more rights.

20 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

How many ACTUAL jobs have been lost or created since June 23rd? How many instances of companies cutting production or moving it elsewhere. Or increasing production , as the case may be.

Also how many new trade deals have been struck and how many have been lost?

Or even just good or bad points about being on the way out of the EU.

Much like the 2 referendums the truth will be hate to gauge with both sides rubbishing the others figures 

My BIL's companies machines are now more expensive but his commission has increased 

Having a different opinion on the EU referendum?  If you look back at my posts pre-referendum, I have posted that I expected a short term challenges if we voted to leave.  I was quite willing to accept the result whichever way it turned out, just as I did with the Indy ref.  The smart c***s are the ones on here posting about all the negative stories being printed by the same press that was castigated during the Indy vote and using this as some sort of validation that the wrong decision has been made.  Jesus, we have had someone post about a statement from a company that is US based and generates about $6.5m dollars in revenue as if this is representative of the whole UK economy.

I would suggest that if you don't like my posts that you put me on ignore or just don't read them.  Much as I tend to do with yours.

Every time someone posts something negative,you are straight on with your 'pfft,is that the Armageddon' patter.

You never think that there may be people on this board who have been told there is no doubt brexit will impact on their job?
I'm sure losing a job will definitely feel like 'short term challenge'

2 hours ago, FlyerTon said:

1. Paid annual leave
  2. Maternity leave
  3. Equal pay
  4. Cheap flights
  6. Clear food labelling
  7. Parental leave
  8. Cleaner water and air
  9. Non-discrimination
  11. Freedom of movement
  12. Safety at work
  13. Sickness rights

How many of them do you agree are a result of EU membership?

How many of them do you agree are a result of EU membership?

I don't think any, other than clearer food labelling, freedom of movement, healthcare on holiday can be directly ascribed to membership of the EU, I may be wrong & there are more, but all others have certainly been strengthened by our membership, and with the welfare corrosive Tories likely to be in power for the foreseeable future (unless Indy), I personally want the checks & balances that the EU provides.

I'm almost certain that it was you, when asked, what bad laws have the EU introduced, came up with the Tobacco directive......

3 minutes ago, mjw said:

Every time someone posts something negative,you are straight on with your 'pfft,is that the Armageddon' patter.

You never think that there may be people on this board who have been told there is no doubt brexit will impact on their job?
I'm sure losing a job will definitely feel like 'short term challenge'

The OP definitely falls into this category. 

I have no doubt that jobs were on the line as a result of Brexit, I also have no doubt that jobs were on the line if we voted to remain in.  My problem is that every negative story is being linked to Brexit,  LowCostHolidays was basically run as a ponzi scheme and yet their failure is a result of the falling pound!  If BHS has went into administration a few weeks later then I am 100% sure that the reason would not have been that the owners were useless but somehow related to Brexit.  In my own area, the number of job losses in the last two years has been horrendous, being in or out of the EU had no affect on this.

In 2008 we saw the economy fall off a cliff and we suffered and continue to suffer from this more than many countries.  Why was this?  If we are forced to further reduce the exposure to the financial sector then I personally do not see this as long term negative for the country.  Leaving the EU may make us poorer in the short term but it will also force us to look closer to home for our inherently poor fiscal position.

19 minutes ago, Mortar Bored said:

I don't think any, other than clearer food labelling, freedom of movement, healthcare on holiday can be directly ascribed to membership of the EU, I may be wrong & there are more, but all others have certainly been strengthened by our membership, and with the welfare corrosive Tories likely to be in power for the foreseeable future (unless Indy), I personally want the checks & balances that the EU provides.

I'm almost certain that it was you, when asked, what bad laws have the EU introduced, came up with the Tobacco directive......

Not even healthcare on holidays,  Britain had bilateral agreements on healthcare before they joined.  Also contrary to popular opinion (and the article quoted), it does not provide access to free healthcare in member states.

These "checks and balances" were the reason that Holyrood has not been able to introduce minimum pricing on booze.

Not even healthcare on holidays,  Britain had bilateral agreements on healthcare before they joined.  Also contrary to popular opinion (and the article quoted), it does not provide access to free healthcare in member states.

These "checks and balances" were the reason that Holyrood has not been able to introduce minimum pricing on booze.

Bilateral, with all nations in the EU?

I also never mentioned free healthcare, but a large proportion is, and if not, it's at reduced cost.

I think it's quite right the SNP has not been able to introduce minimum pricing on alcohol, as we should be trying to look at the cause rather than make an attempt to swerve the underlying issues by trying to tackle societal issues through taxation. So in this case, the checks and balances have worked perfectly for me.

22 hours ago, Mortar Bored said:

Bilateral, with all nations in the EU?

I also never mentioned free healthcare, but a large proportion is, and if not, it's at reduced cost.

I think it's quite right the SNP has not been able to introduce minimum pricing on alcohol, as we should be trying to look at the cause rather than make an attempt to swerve the underlying issues by trying to tackle societal issues through taxation. So in this case, the checks and balances have worked perfectly for me.

I am not sure if we had agreements with the 6 nations that were in the EEC at the time we joined.  We did have agreements in place before the EU introduced the EHIC.

The EHIC covers only emergency and necessary treatment, I was merely pointing out that the perception that it provide free care is wrong.  This wasn't specifically aimed at yourself but was a general comment.

I don't agree.  Price is always a tool to adjust demand and it should be for the government to decide how best to affect health policies, not the EU.  It is also quite ironic that the EU states that the government cannot set pricing whilst at the same time, the EU has introduced maximum pricing for roaming mobile services which make it cheaper to use a phone in the EU than in the UK.  Just to pre-empt the "ah but reduced prices is a good thing", the mobile phone companies are making larger profits and therefore it is clear that the domestic tariffs have been increased to cater for this, meaning that everyone is sharing the burden of roaming usage regardless of their own travel.

I am not sure if we had agreements with the 6 nations that were in the EEC at the time we joined.  We did have agreements in place before the EU introduced the EHIC.

The EHIC covers only emergency and necessary treatment, I was merely pointing out that the perception that it provide free care is wrong.  This wasn't specifically aimed at yourself but was a general comment.

I don't agree.  Price is always a tool to adjust demand and it should be for the government to decide how best to affect health policies, not the EU.  It is also quite ironic that the EU states that the government cannot set pricing whilst at the same time, the EU has introduced maximum pricing for roaming mobile services which make it cheaper to use a phone in the EU than in the UK.  Just to pre-empt the "ah but reduced prices is a good thing", the mobile phone companies are making larger profits and therefore it is clear that the domestic tariffs have been increased to cater for this, meaning that everyone is sharing the burden of roaming usage regardless of their own travel.

Fair point regarding the EHIC, I did briefly try to find out more about it last night & found any info quite difficult to find with a quick google.
I guess you ran into the same difficulties?
I just fundamentally disagree with you regards alcohol pricing, yes pricing CAN be used as a mechanism to reduce consumption, but I don't really think it's very effective, it's had very limited success with tobacco & I'd argue that the proliferation of fitness & gym use has had a far greater effect than £10 packs of cigarettes.
I'm on my phone at present and can't effectively research the figures on alcohol unit pricing and am open for correction, but my thinking was, the proposal was far more likely to adversely affect the normal social & sensible drinker rather than the people with real drink addictions?
Regards mobile billing, you can't just say the phone companies profits are up, therefore they are charging more for domestic calls. There could be many reasons their profits are up - reduced overheads, reduced infrastructure investment, increased usage to name 3.

6 hours ago, Mortar Bored said:

Fair point regarding the EHIC, I did briefly try to find out more about it last night & found any info quite difficult to find with a quick google.
I guess you ran into the same difficulties?
I just fundamentally disagree with you regards alcohol pricing, yes pricing CAN be used as a mechanism to reduce consumption, but I don't really think it's very effective, it's had very limited success with tobacco & I'd argue that the proliferation of fitness & gym use has had a far greater effect than £10 packs of cigarettes.
I'm on my phone at present and can't effectively research the figures on alcohol unit pricing and am open for correction, but my thinking was, the proposal was far more likely to adversely affect the normal social & sensible drinker rather than the people with real drink addictions?
Regards mobile billing, you can't just say the phone companies profits are up, therefore they are charging more for domestic calls. There could be many reasons their profits are up - reduced overheads, reduced infrastructure investment, increased usage to name 3.

Yes, I had the same issue with obtaining historical information on the E111 scheme etc.

In regards to alcohol pricing, the checks and balances that you are referring to are false, the EU will allow a minimum price if it is levied through duty (a power which the SG does not have devolved to it).  The EU has not ruled against minimum pricing for the reasons that you think it is folly.

The LSE have previously carried out an investigation into the waterbed effect, specifically relating to the mobile telephone companies.  I am sure (going from memory here) that it found that unregulated prices were affected by the regulation of roaming charges.

Vodaphone and orange increased domestic prices substantially http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008868/Orange-Vodafone-users-hit-mobile-charges-soar-66-cent.html

Here is what O2 did after the 2012 cut in roaming charges.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/O2-increases-cost-of-overseas-calls/

I have also noticed that the latest changes that came into affect this year allow mobile carriers to charge based on the domestic rate.  This will actually allow companies to increase their roaming charges from where prices were in 2015.

On 23 July 2016 at 09:20, FlyerTon said:

1. Paid annual leave
  2. Maternity leave
  3. Equal pay
  4. Cheap flights
  6. Clear food labelling
  7. Parental leave
  8. Cleaner water and air
  9. Non-discrimination
  11. Freedom of movement
  12. Safety at work
  13. Sickness rights

The Mirror Group? The English version of the Daily Ret**d which is universally acknowledged to be no more than a shit-stained rag peddling outright lies? They've become the font of all knowledge on the EU now have they?

On 7/22/2016 at 15:54, Cream Cheese said:

*sigh* Nobody knows.....

It's an ongoing scenario. Companies may (or may not) announce job losses or transfers due to the result of the referendum (some already have). Other apects of life may change (some have) due to this vote.

My reason for starting this topic was an attempt to let people be aware of the actual consequences of this vote since 23/6,  so that in the event of a re-run EU ref (unlikely) or  Indy Ref2 (possible), a more informed decision could be made by potential voters. 

It may be that Brexit will be good for some but I have only seen negative stuff in the media which I posted in my other thread (now deleted) which seemed merely to attract comments which suggested I was a pessimistic remainer type and "nobody knows".   I welcome any positive input from leave voters, I don't really wish to live in a situation where things become worse than before.

Archived