Who's surprised?

DA Baracus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine it's the same labyrinthine process as change management in public sector in which case you have to be prepared to upset people, see your work blocked and undermined, have people actively dislike and lobby against you and wait years to see any sort of progress.

I can see why you wouldn't give a f**k after a while.

FFS what a farce.

Fair play to McClair for not hanging about and picking up a wage, unless he's been forced out.

Is it hinted the problem appears to be at boardroom level around the country?

Was part of the proposal maybe involving Old Firm colt teams and lower league clubs refused?

Once again the fans will have plenty of questions and we'll get no answers. 

We have man who has been at probably the best youth set up in the world for 30 odd yrs he joins our development programe yet is deemed surplus to requirements because of board room level.  What a fucking farce our football is 

So rather than get someone in to do the politics in boardrooms, they punted him.

So what they're looking for is a politician first, football brain second.

Fucking shambles.

Would love McClair to come out and name and shame, doubt it will happen though. We need a dictator in the role to get shit done, whats Jim McLean up to these days.

We have man who has been at probably the best youth set up in the world for 30 odd yrs he joins our development programe yet is deemed surplus to requirements because of board room level.  What a fucking farce our football is 

Has it never occurred to anyone that perhaps Brian wasn't quite up to the job...the fact he was a real good footballer and a youth coach at Manchester United doesnt automatically make him a stick on certainty to have the ability to transform the calibre of player that we are producing at the moment.. .. just saying like.

It's hard to conclude what the implication is. If as reported he and Strachan were devising a "blueprint", to substantially rework much of the youth development systems - including the Youth Initiative, Club Academy Scotland, and the Performance Schools which have only been running a few years - then of course he would have to sell it in the boardrooms. No one position can include a blank cheque to switch everything around each time an occupant moves on and is replaced. Selling that sort of thing in the boardrooms is part of the job, surely - it's not just about working with players on training grounds? Similarly any talk of Rangers & Celtic 'B' teams in the leagues - that carries implications way beyond youth development.

It's unclear from those quotes whether he was comfortable with the desk and boardroom aspect, but felt ideas were being frustrated - or just wasn't comfortable.

8 hours ago, conley said:

Has it never occurred to anyone that perhaps Brian wasn't quite up to the job...the fact he was a real good footballer and a youth coach at Manchester United doesnt automatically make him a stick on certainty to have the ability to transform the calibre of player that we are producing at the moment.. .. just saying like.

This is certainly an aspect worth considering.

Instinctively, I'm not inclined to back Regan on anything, but McClair was far from impressive in the noises he made on landing the role.

He's a fairly intelligent bloke, but convincing others of his ideas, or inspiring an enthusiasm for change, do not strike me as strengths of his.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Does anyone remember the Maurice Malpas interview on sportsound after Wotte left?

I think that's when I realised Scottish football was utterly fucked.

Vaguely I think.

Was he critical and dismissive of Wotte?

24 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Does anyone remember the Maurice Malpas interview on sportsound after Wotte left?

I think that's when I realised Scottish football was utterly fucked.

No. But that's not surprising I probably fell asleep.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Vaguely I think.

Was he critical and dismissive of Wotte?

The jist of it was wotte didn't understand Scottish football culture and was trying to change how things were done. Malpas felt that Scottish players were different from continental players and how did we know continental methods would be better? Continental is Malpas's catch all phrase, not mine.

He accused Wotte of arrogance but then again I imagine anyone who ties their own shoe laces in front of Malpas is accused of being an intellectual snob.

44 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The jist of it was wotte didn't understand Scottish football culture and was trying to change how things were done. Malpas felt that Scottish players were different from continental players and how did we know continental methods would be better? Continental is Malpas's catch all phrase, not mine.

He accused Wotte of arrogance but then again I imagine anyone who ties their own shoe laces in front of Malpas is accused of being an intellectual snob.

Yes, that rings a bell.  

Malpas doesn't sound the sharpest, but he is actually quite educated by football standards, is he not?

I do think there are entrenched attitudes in our game that do us no favours.  I think there are similar issues in England that might go some way towards explaining their own chronic underachievement.

Malpas is an enigma. Played under Jim MacLean winning the league and cup, playing in European finals, Euro championships and world cups.

Yet he seems to be thick as mince, an abysmal coach and you won't hear many folk around Dundee with much positive to say about him as a person.

Archived