The political divide

Fide

1 hour ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Good post .

As Union supporter I have read some of the debates on these boards with dismay. IMO it's difficult to get your point across sometimes when you're vilified for holding an alternative view. I have given up on s few threads for this very reason and I'm no Britnat.

The internet is a great tool for debate but cannot beat the old fashioned hustings where face to face discussion , whilst heated , could be tempered by your peers around you calming things down . At Glasgow Univ they used to hold beer bar debates on all sort of topics and if you over stepped the mark a convenour would step in. A difficult concept to replicate here I know but it may dampened down some of the more damaging rhetoric used 

By all means put forward your case for why Scotland is better an incorporated region of the British state with its governments, foreign policy and international relationships made in a parliament outside Scotland by a government elected outside Scotland. This is what I'm not seeing from "union supporters" at all these days - why Scotland should not be a nation state but should instead be a c1/10 region of one, with only a devolved parliament.

In fact, I've never seen anyone argue that this is a good setup for any country. Why do you support it for Scotland? The ball, as they say, is in your court.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Erskjne Bridge said:

To Andrew Marr during the campaign he said' Taking referendums in Scotland, one in 1979 and the 1997, 18 years, in his opinion a generation and this vote is a once in a generation chance perhaps once in a lifetime'.

He's clearly saying that the chance to decide these things tend to come round once in a generation, not that they should be limited to once in a generation. Unionists love to quote the 'once in a generations' thing but it's only those same unionists who desperately do not want another referendum who actually care about it.

No chance John, it's gonnae take the UK government years to sort this mess out, a 2nd Ref to further destabilise the status quo isn't on the wish list imho.

I think the Yes movement needs to act fast... let the eu result sit for long and Scots might believe they are better off out of EU... right wing press etc

It wasn't overwhelming though and part of the No vote was predicated on telling EU migrants especially that their resident rights were dependent on EU membership which could only be guaranteed by a No vote. It's been pointed out literally hundreds of times that Sturgeon and the SNP have carefully hinged a second referendum on a material change of circumstances and bar a seismic shift in the tectonic plates causing us to literally break off from England around Gretna I can't see a greater change to the make up of this island than leaving the European Union which Scotland even more substantially voted to remain in.

Very important point. Majority of Scots born in Scotland voted yes. EU migrants much more likely to vote yes this time, even English living in Scotland also... ie chance of EU passport and retain English one...
Not to mention a lot of labour voters may go yes

Very important point. Majority of Scots born in Scotland voted yes. EU migrants much more likely to vote yes this time, even English living in Scotland also... ie chance of EU passport and retain English one...
Not to mention a lot of labour voters may go yes

Just ban the English from voting

Nobody cared about the EU citizens voice in Brexit

It wasn't overwhelming though and part of the No vote was predicated on telling EU migrants especially that their resident rights were dependent on EU membership which could only be guaranteed by a No vote. It's been pointed out literally hundreds of times that Sturgeon and the SNP have carefully hinged a second referendum on a material change of circumstances and bar a seismic shift in the tectonic plates causing us to literally break off from England around Gretna I can't see a greater change to the make up of this island than leaving the European Union which Scotland even more substantially voted to remain in.

Seriously!? How many people in Scotland voted No (or Yes) based on the future status of our resident migrant population!? That's just nonsense

Just ban the English from voting

Nobody cared about the EU citizens voice in Brexit

Aye that's the game, 400,000 people who live, work (or perhaps have retired) in Scotland, get them all tae f*ck.

Just when I think you can't get anymore mental Lichtie, you go and surpass yersel.

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

Aye that's the game, 400,000 people who live, work (or perhaps have retired) in Scotland, get them all tae f*ck.

Just when I think you can't get anymore mental Lichtie, you surpass yersel.

Were you of the same opinion with regards to the 3m EU citizens resident in the UK who were banned from voting in June?

Just when I think you can't get anymore mental Lichtie, you go and surpass yersel.

It was sarcasm you tool.

Yet that happened in the EU vote and nobody seemed to give a shit. Imagine the outcry if they done that, never heard anything not a word when that's what happened to the EU citizens.

Shock horror eh

Seriously!? How many people in Scotland voted No (or Yes) based on the future status of our resident migrant population!? That's just nonsense

Why did people vote no then?
You seem to place yourself as the voice of the no voters on here so help us out.
If it wasn't the future migrant population, what was it?
Was it to stay in Europe?
Was it to save ship building on the clyde?

Let's have an honest answer instead of stomping about calling posts nonsense.

Why did people vote no then?
You seem to place yourself as the voice of the no voters on here so help us out.
If it wasn't the future migrant population, what was it?
Was it to stay in Europe?
Was it to save ship building on the clyde?

Let's have an honest answer instead of stomping about calling posts nonsense.

f44ba59b2f06557c993506ceb0933cb2.jpg

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

But they haven't retired in Scotland, they've retired in North Britain. If they wish to remain in North Britain, they can always move to Berwick or New Castle. Leave Scotland to get on with it.

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

I'm guessing it was pretty important to the EU migrants (who actually did vote overwhelmingly No). Their votes alone wouldn't have swung it to Yes but despite you wanting to delude yourself that the No margin of victory was 'overwhelming', Yes just needs a 5.5% swing and EU migrants could make a big inroad into that.

2 minutes ago, mjw said:

Hamburg 2009

Christ I was hoping it was at least 30 years ago; it would have been a wee bit easier to excuse.

I'm wary of lumping all supporters of a particular football team as voting in a particular way; there's no evidence to support it.

Were you of the same opinion with regards to the 3m EU citizens resident in the UK who were banned from voting in June?

Aye, live and work in the UK, you get a vote (or should have).

Archived