Killie v Morton

Andy_K_97

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jim Duffy is doing a scarily good job at Morton. I say scarily because I'll shite myself if we lose Hartley as he'll now be well in the mix.

Hartley in the mix for what?....New Scottish Labour leader after The Dug?

I was at the Clyde game but fortunately couldn't make this one.  I dread to ask, but what were the new boys like?

I saw flashes of promise from Coulibaly and Jones during the Clyde game.

Is it a lack of fitness/ cohesion or are we going to have another season of being rip roaringly shite at home?

That said, well done the Ton.  Good to see Quitongo Jnr doing well.

Doyle is great. Lee Kilday has turned into Leonardo Bonucci. Just let that sink in.

Our absolutely superb defence will see us fine this season and already has us utterly hosing this group.

1469314483492.jpg.0c78387bf2bb964a69a4f8

Well that was surprising and immensely pleasing. In Quitongo's previous appearances he's looked out of his depth - just routinely putting his head down and blundering into tackles - but that was an outstanding performance from him. Showed some excellent awareness and positional sense to take the piss right out of Addison, and could have had more joy if he'd been given any protection at all from the referee. As good as Quitongo was, Oliver was the best player on the park and Tidser was superb as well. We know the defence is more or less solid - the transformation in Lee Kilday over the last two years is huge and full credit to him and Duffy - but it was great to see an attacking display like that with the concerns over our ability there.

Obvious comment but if Kilmarnock's new signings are actually that shite rather than just having an off day yesterday, it's relegation. Coulibaly genuinely looked like he'd won a competition to be there, joke of a performance.

That was a grim spectacle from our point of view yesterday.  We weren't quite the incompetent shambles of last season, but it was an utterly toothless performance with little genuine threat offered at any stage.  Morton scored a nice goal early on, and then were content to sit back and soak up the "pressure" and hit us on the counter-attack, which they did very well.

I wasn't sure about any of the four players who made their debuts yesterday - Webb looked like he might be an OK defender, but was utterly clueless going forward.  He didn't want to cross the halfway line at any stage.  Burn wasn't bad for most of the game, but made an arse of himself for the second goal.  Waddington was a big bumbling oaf of a player - he reminded me of an even less talented Owain Tudur Jones.  Smith looked like he might be a decent footballer, but he was forcing it too much and struggled to make an impact.

We've put ourselves under pressure already in terms of qualifying.  You'd expect Morton to beat Berwick in their last match, which would be enough to win them the group.  That means we're probably left needing to win both our remaining fixtures, which should hopefully give us enough to be one of the best runners-up.

The start of this season has shown that the club are starting to see the benefit of the Youth Academy.  Jim Duffy still has to complete his squad but already we have seen that a good number of last season' s development squad will push hard for starting slots no matter who we sign.  Yesterday was a fantastic performance from a very well organised team and great to see Michael Tidser look like he is enjoying his football again.

On 22 July 2016 at 19:53, C4mmy31 said:

If Magennis and Coulibaly both start as Clark hinted at today, then your back line are in for a busy afternoon

Backline absolutely strolled it against Magennis and Coulibaly when he came on. Did Coulibaly win at an auction to get a contract at Killie? 

Archived