Tyne/Wear/Tees - The North East Thread

8 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Elsewhere the FA have REJECTED an appeal by the EBAC Northern league to re-adjust its position in the national system. The management Committee will discuss the decision next week. 

what were they hoping to achieve there, then - elevation to the next level up, presumably ?

that'd mean an uneven number of leagues at level eight, though, unless there was realignment elsewhere (creating a new south western league might be the only sensible option)

Edited by Herman Hessian

12 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

what were they hoping to achieve there, then - elevation to the next level up, presumably ?

that'd mean an uneven number of leagues at level eight, though, unless there was realignment elsewhere (creating a new south western league might be the only sensible option)

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi

There is some talk about SWP league realigning a step up, but I can't see it happening. The NL are still a bit of a historic anomaly. The 1st Division is probably better than the Evostik North, a bit like what will happen if and when the Juniors join the Scottish pyramid.

On 22/02/2018 at 18:23, Herman Hessian said:

Taken from the northern league twitter.......

An appeal by the northern league against the decision of the FA s leagues committee to refuse a proposal to establish a new league at step 4 next season was dismissed by an independent appeal board at the FA this week. 

The proposal by the northern league in December to engage with an establishment of a step 4 division in the North East was welcomed by the leagues committee who felt that the proposal had been received too late to be able to be incorporated into the plans for the pilot scheme which is already in place at steps 3 and 4 over the next 2 years. 

In refusing the northern leagues application the leagues committee did offer the Northern league free grading inspections of all their step 5 members and that offer is still in place. 

After the hearing the reps of the leagues committee and the northern league had a very harmonious discussion about the future and are looking forward to working together to address the long standing issues of travelling distance and time for the clubs in that part of the country. 

The pilot for new divisions at steps 3 and 4 is a 2 year pilot which will be reviewed in the 3rd year and the Committee intend to work with the northern leagues reps during that time to address the outstanding issues in the hope that an 8th step 4 division can be introduced in the North East very soon but it is likely that the administration of that new league will have to go through a bidding process as happened with the administration and responsibilities for the 2 new divisions which are introduced at the end of the season. 

It is hoped that this decision represents a bright day for the northern league and its clubs enabling them to work together with the association towards a brighter future. 

Edited by newcastle broon

• 4 weeks later...

Former Darlington chairman Raj Singh s proposed take over of Hartlepool FC looks like going through. Its been an on off saga but Singh and his consortium which includes Jeff Stelling were hoping to get the deal through before tomorrow to lift the existing transfer embargo on the club. They would be looking to bring back Craig Hignett as director of football. 

• 3 weeks later...

what's going on with the Northern League? don't understand at all :/

On Hartlepool, Craig Harrison was an absolute impostor, and only the behind the scenes troubles saw him get as long as he did IMO.

I see Raj Singh's talking up his takeover in the local media today. Hope it works out for the club.

8 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

what's going on with the Northern League? don't understand at all :/

On Hartlepool, Craig Harrison was an absolute impostor, and only the behind the scenes troubles saw him get as long as he did IMO.

I see Raj Singh's talking up his takeover in the local media today. Hope it works out for the club.

I think the main problem with the Northern League is the teams that win it haven't the funds/ground criteria to move up the pyramid. 

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/south-shields-fc-get-the-go-ahead-to-improve-mariners-park-1-9102440/amp?__twitter_impression=true

South Shields FC showing a bit ambition whilst other clubs in the area seem to be struggling. 

When I was down recently I was told they also own the derelict industrial estate opposite the club house bar and eventually have plans for a new stand on that side. 

Edited by newcastle broon

31 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Norwich's 89th minute equaliser last night is a huge nail in Sunderland's coffin. Absolute shambles. Won't be long until they're in the same division as South Shields. 

Boro with another dreadful performance last night as well. Pulis might be a great manager for keeping teams up but his style just isn't suited to teams going for promotion where they have to break teams down.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Boro with another dreadful performance last night as well. Pulis might be a great manager for keeping teams up but his style just isn't suited to teams going for promotion where they have to break teams down.

Shows what a dreadful result for Boro it was drawing 1-1 away at Burton Albion was when you see what Hull did to Burton last night

from today's Guardian....

In this occasionally stifling and frequently deeply boring atmosphere (the biggest clubs employ armies of data analysts, while advanced metrics and tactical analytics are the adornment of increasing amounts of commentary), it’s refreshing to hear of idiosyncratic tactical approaches. All respect to Chris Coleman, then, who this week gave the media a glimpse into his forward planning. “We just need to look and see what’s happened in the last five years,” the Sunderland manager explained, “and then do the opposite.”

Edited by Herman Hessian

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Shows what a dreadful result for Boro it was drawing 1-1 away at Burton Albion was when you see what Hull did to Burton last night

Yeah, and they scraped it. Burton deserved the win. Boro’s record against the teams around them is abysmal.

On 10/4/2018 at 07:48, newcastle broon said:

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/south-shields-fc-get-the-go-ahead-to-improve-mariners-park-1-9102440/amp?__twitter_impression=true

South Shields FC showing a bit ambition whilst other clubs in the area seem to be struggling. 

When I was down recently I was told they also own the derelict industrial estate opposite the club house bar and eventually have plans for a new stand on that side. 

They are pulling crowds that wouldn't be out of place in the National League. If they are getting a decent commercial income they could reach that level.

I take all the credit for adopting them when I went to the first game back at Mariners Park.

19 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They are pulling crowds that wouldn't be out of place in the National League. If they are getting a decent commercial income they could reach that level.

I take all the credit for adopting them when I went to the first game back at Mariners Park.

I know of a lot of Sunderland ST holders who are watching South Shields on a weekly basis because of the state Sunderland are in (and the Julio Arca effect). They've certainly been unintended beneficiaries of the situation at the SoL. Those that go seem to love it as well, wonder if they'll even return to see SAFC when Ellis Short does eventually sell.