Tyne/Wear/Tees - The North East Thread

Around 13000 South Shields fans are expected to descend on Wembley this morning for the final of the FA Vase against Cleethorpes Town. The Sand Dancers are big favourites to land their fourth trophy of an outstanding season to which kicks off at 1215. 

York City are also at Wembley today and play Macclesfield Town in the FA Trophy final.  Despite a miserable season which concluded with relegation from the national league York expect to take around 7500 fans in what will be their 5th Wembley experience in 8 years.  Kick off for this one is after the Shields match at 4:15.

Both these matches are live on BT Sport. 

Elsewhere Washington FC  have withdrawn their resignation from the Northern League after merging forces with Washington AFC, a long established junior club in the town who have around 48 teams of all ages. An appeal was made from the Northern League side for helpers to come forward and the juniors side were happy to help out.  Both clubs will retain their separate identities with the AFC side taking over all things admin.

Just turned it on as there's no early kick-off in Serie A today and noticed Carl Finnigan playing up front for SS, I thought he'd retired! Can't believe he's only 30 as well.

6 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Around 13000 South Shields fans are expected to descend on Wembley this morning for the final of the FA Vase against Cleethorpes Town. The Sand Dancers are big favourites to land their fourth trophy of an outstanding season to which kicks off at 1215. 

York City are also at Wembley today and play Macclesfield Town in the FA Trophy final.  Despite a miserable season which concluded with relegation from the national league York expect to take around 7500 fans in what will be their 5th Wembley experience in 8 years.  Kick off for this one is after the Shields match at 4:15.

Both these matches are live on BT Sport. 

Elsewhere Washington FC  have withdrawn their resignation from the Northern League after merging forces with Washington AFC, a long established junior club in the town who have around 48 teams of all ages. An appeal was made from the Northern League side for helpers to come forward and the juniors side were happy to help out.  Both clubs will retain their separate identities with the AFC side taking over all things admin.

4-0 win for South Shields. Missed it unfortunately, so I'll need to catch the goals later. A club on the up, I'll be curious to see how far they can go.

They were the better team although 4-0 was a bit hard on Cleethorpes as 3 of the goals were fairly late. I take it South Shields are having loads of money pumped into them.

18 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

They were the better team although 4-0 was a bit hard on Cleethorpes as 3 of the goals were fairly late. I take it South Shields are having loads of money pumped into them.

A local guy bought their old park and upgraded it for them, after years of ground sharing elsewhere and dropping down  divisions. I don't know if he gifted it to the club. I expect he is subsidising it to an extent but I've been at midweek league games with about 6/700 at them, so crowds like that would sustain them another couple of divisions up.

The danger, particularly next season, is going in to a division without any local rivalry to boost crowds.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A local guy bought their old park and upgraded it for them, after years of ground sharing elsewhere and dropping down  divisions. I don't know if he gifted it to the club. I expect he is subsidising it to an extent but I've been at midweek league games with about 6/700 at them, so crowds like that would sustain them another couple of divisions up.

The danger, particularly next season, is going in to a division without any local rivalry to boost crowds.

Interesting thanks. I just got the impression throughout the game that they were maybe another of those small clubs that had a sugar daddy attracting players that are playing below their level. At the apres match interviews, which I wasn't paying too much attention too, I did pick up something about 'financial input' from someone. 

I doubt it would have clicked who Carl Finnegan was had Kris not mentioned him above. Apart from him not doing much with Saints he's totally changed his appearance aided by a Pogbaesque stupid haircut. 

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

Interesting thanks. I just got the impression throughout the game that they were maybe another of those small clubs that had a sugar daddy attracting players that are playing below their level. At the apres match interviews, which I wasn't paying too much attention too, I did pick up something about 'financial input' from someone. 

I doubt it would have clicked who Carl Finnegan was had Kris not mentioned him above. Apart from him not doing much with Saints he's totally changed his appearance aided by a Pogbaesque stupid haircut. 

Normally if there is an over financing issue you hear complaints from other clubs. I can't be sure there's none, but I've not heard it. There's a few, good well supported teams in the area. South (and North) punched way below their weight for years, so maybe it's just rebalanced things a bit.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Normally if there is an over financing issue you hear complaints from other clubs. I can't be sure there's none, but I've not heard it. There's a few, good well supported teams in the area. South (and North) punched way below their weight for years, so maybe it's just rebalanced things a bit.

Yep, these things are usually public knowledge, even if they're not meant to be, so if there's no grapevine about it then it's probably unlikely. I shall gladly bow to your knowledge.

In the other final played yesterday York City defeated Macclesfield 3-2. Manager Gary Mills was obviously delighted with the result but even more delighted he'll be keeping his squad for next seasons promotion push.  

Gateshead have announced season ticket prices for next season with the most expensive being £230.  Not bad price for 23 matches when the going rate will be £15 per match. They've also reintroduced the £10 match price if you are a season ticket holder at Newcastle or Sunderland. 

South Shields win yesterday was the 8th time in 9 years that the trophy has come back to the Northern League. Co manager of South Shields is Graham Fenton who St.Mirren fans may recognise from a season with them around the turn of the millennium. Newcastle fans of course will never forget his goals for Blackburn coming on as a late substitute in 1996  which all but killed their premiership winning hopes. He also managed North Shields to a successful trophy win at Wembley. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hartlepool utd are the latest club in severe financial difficulty. They have to raise £200 000 by 25th January or risk administration. 

Fair play to Gateshead born Danny Graham now at Blackburn Rovers who gave £2500 to the cause. 

A just giving page has since raised over 28k. 

It is understood sky sports Hartlepool Utd fan  Jeff Stelling is also hoping to help out speaking to potential investors. Get yer money oot yer pocket Jeff!! 

11 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Hartlepool utd are the latest club in severe financial difficulty. They have to raise £200 000 by 25th January or risk administration. 

Fair play to Gateshead born Danny Graham now at Blackburn Rovers who gave £2500 to the cause. 

A just giving page has since raised over 28k. 

It is understood sky sports Hartlepool Utd fan  Jeff Stelling is also hoping to help out speaking to potential investors. Get yer money oot yer pocket Jeff!! 

Sad times for the Monkey Hangers Newky. Hear they are heading for a sell out today though? 

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Sad times for the Monkey Hangers Newky. Hear they are heading for a sell out today though? 

Yes Rab around 1200 extra tickets sold on top of the 2600 odd season ticket holders  including Middlesbrough fans who haven't forgotten Hartlepool gave them the use of Victoria Park back in 1986 when the Boro were going bust. 

Best of luck to Hartlepool. Lots of murky stuff going on behind the scenes and the fans are being shafted.

Jeff Stelling talking up a takeover sometime next week, let's hope he's right.

Not much changes at Hartlepool mind, this is a documentary from the late 80s when Bobby Moncur was the manager. Forever staving off the bailiffs and relegation :lol:

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Best of luck to Hartlepool. Lots of murky stuff going on behind the scenes and the fans are being shafted.

Jeff Stelling talking up a takeover sometime next week, let's hope he's right.

Not much changes at Hartlepool mind, this is a documentary from the late 80s when Bobby Moncur was the manager. Forever staving off the bailiffs and relegation :lol:

Gillingham and Rochdale fans raise £400 in bucket collection today. 

Football United. 

• 1 month later...

Hartlepool have sacked manager Craig Harrison after Tuesdays 2-0 defeat at Halifax  with the club just 3 points above the relegation zone. 

Elsewhere the FA have REJECTED an appeal by the EBAC Northern league to re-adjust its position in the national system. The management Committee will discuss the decision next week. 

8 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Hartlepool have sacked manager Craig Harrison after Tuesdays 2-0 defeat at Halifax  with the club just 3 points above the relegation zone. 

Welsh football's had a bit of a reality check the last few days.