Tyne/Wear/Tees - The North East Thread

Darlington s hopes of reaching the national league have suffered a blow with the news that they can't be promoted this season as their new ground is not up to play off standards. 

Darlington currently in the final play off spot on goal difference have been told It doesn't meet minimum  ground criteria after a change in the ground grading system last year. 

The club are obviously appealing this. 

Edited by newcastle broon

• 2 weeks later...

Heading down to Newcastle at the weekend and considering going to either Sunderland or Gateshead.

Gateshead cheaper but looks to have the atmosphere of Meadowbank.
Not sure if it'll be any better at SOL right enough.

Thoughts?

Both unlikely to be great. Gateshead season over and running track kills atmosphere, town centre is a hovel too although easy to drink in Newcastle and get metro to Gateshead stadium. Almost a dead rubber at the sol too with plenty empty seats and another humdrum town. 

17 hours ago, H Wragg said:

Heading down to Newcastle at the weekend and considering going to either Sunderland or Gateshead.

Thoughts?

If yer that keen the Heed kick off at 1215 you could always hoof it doon to Sunderland from there and catch the 2 matches. 

Gateshead are offering their u19 s v Wallsend Boys club (famous for producing players such as Bruce, Beardsley, Carrick, Shearer to name a few)  straight after their match so basically 2 games in 1for £15 but like you state poor atmosphere. 

Pity it wasn't the week after there's the all ticket Brooks Mileson (of Gretna fame) memorial   Northern League Cup final between the two Shields teams at Whitley Bay. 

Blyth Spartans won the Northumberland Senior Cup tonight defeating holders  North Shields 3-2 at St. James's Park in front of 1968 spectators. 

If yer that keen the Heed kick off at 1215 you could always hoof it doon to Sunderland from there and catch the 2 matches. 
Gateshead are offering their u19 s v Wallsend Boys club (famous for producing players such as Bruce, Beardsley, Carrick, Shearer to name a few)  straight after their match so basically 2 games in 1for £15 but like you state poor atmosphere. 
Pity it wasn't the week after there's the all ticket Brooks Mileson (of Gretna fame) memorial   Northern League Cup final between the two Shields teams at Whitley Bay. 
Blyth Spartans won the Northumberland Senior Cup tonight defeating holders  North Shields 3-2 at St. James's Park in front of 1968 spectators. 

Won't be doing both games as it's a family trip I'm on so need to balance everything.

I've decided it's Gateshead or nothing. Will make my mind up on Saturday morning.

I looked at Whitley Bay to see if they were at home but their league season finished last week.

1 hour ago, H Wragg said:

Won't be doing both games as it's a family trip I'm on so need to balance everything.

I've decided it's Gateshead or nothing. Will make my mind up on Saturday morning.

I looked at Whitley Bay to see if they were at home but their league season finished last week.

£15 adults £10 concessions £3 under 16 at Gateshead if that helps. 

£15 adults £10 concessions £3 under 16 at Gateshead if that helps. 

Yeah had a look, ta.

Gateshead Stadium metro looks to be a 5 min walk away.

What's the script for getting a pint? I take it the bar in the stand should be open?

1 hour ago, H Wragg said:

Yeah had a look, ta.

Gateshead Stadium metro looks to be a 5 min walk away.

What's the script for getting a pint? I take it the bar in the stand should be open?

Yes bar in the stand should be open. 

Theres the Schooner bar behind the stadium tucked away. That's decent but your walking past the stadium so it's probably another 5 min walk. 

I'd give it 10 mins from the stadium metro as well. 

The times I've went I've often jumped on the metro from central station half hour before kick off and made it easy enough. 

15 hours ago, newcastle broon said:
On 4/26/2017 at 07:44, H Wragg said:

Thoughts?

Two of my mates are heading to the Gateshead game then down to Sunderland. 

If you go in the main stand (home section) its a bit closer to the pitch than at Meadowbank, just the track and no sand pits.

York City were relegated from the national league today after a 2-2 draw against play off contenders Forest Green Rovers. 

They will be joined in the national league North next season by Spennymoor who won the northern League play off 1-0 today against Stourbridge in front of 1699 spectators. That's two promotions in two seasons now for Spennymoor who finished 2nd behind champions Blyth Spartans and also (some say) the unlucky Darlington who have set up a fans funding to try and raise £183000 for the upgrade of their stadium. Darlington lost their final league game 5-1 today at Salford City famous for their funding from ex Manchester Utd players. 

4 North East sides in the same league next season will certainly make it interesting. 

Positive side more local games and less travelling for the fans.  

Negative side 4 teams probably fighting for best players. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39759044

Who does this mug think he is? He should be chased for his life!

To HWragg Gateshead isn't great, but it's better than nothing. I'm not allowed to go to the Shields cup final. No amount of thcweaming and thcweaming has worked yet. I'll be giving sullen and uncommunicative a try this week, but I'm not optimistic.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

South Shields take on North Shields for the 3rd time this season tomorrow in the all ticket Northern League Cup final at Hillheads Park Whitley Bay. South who earlier this week won the Durham County Challenge Cup go for their 3rd trophy of the season to go alongside the League trophy and also have the FA Vase trophy at Wembley in 2 weeks time to look forward to. This match is all ticket with South selling out their allocation. There will be no turnstile pay at the gate on the day though both Whitley Bay and North Shields still have ticket availability.

West Allotment Celtic and the Northumberland FA have come to an amicable agreement over their future. Celtic who have no home ground after the FA put the rent up are to be assisted in their transition to a new ground  by the county FA who will offer stadia improvements support and advice. 

Washington have been forced to put in a letter of resignation to the Northern League as they are struggling for volunteers to take the club forward. They have the opportunity to withdraw the letter of resignation should help come forward. The club currently play at the impressive,  for both players and spectators, Nissan Sports and Recreation Complex on the outskirts of the town. 

Scarborough Athletic are delighted to announce that they will return to the town next season after 10 years sharing at Bridlington Town. Scarborough s 1st game back in the town is on July 15 th v Sheffield United. They finished 3rd this season in the evostick Northern League Division 1. There could be a couple of good games next season v South Shields. 

Good up date Broon. I'm raging I can't go tomorrow. I'm not that fussed about Wembley though. 

How do you think South Shields will do next season? I think they could do a Spennymoor, but the downside is, it's not the attractive a division. They'll miss the Derbys.

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

South Shields take on North Shields for the 3rd time this season tomorrow in the all ticket Northern League Cup final at Hillheads Park Whitley Bay. South who earlier this week won the Durham County Challenge Cup go for their 3rd trophy of the season to go alongside the League trophy and also have the FA Vase trophy at Wembley in 2 weeks time to look forward to. This match is all ticket with South selling out their allocation. There will be no turnstile pay at the gate on the day though both Whitley Bay and North Shields still have ticket availability.

West Allotment Celtic and the Northumberland FA have come to an amicable agreement over their future. Celtic who have no home ground after the FA put the rent up are to be assisted in their transition to a new ground  by the county FA who will offer stadia improvements support and advice. 

Washington have been forced to put in a letter of resignation to the Northern League as they are struggling for volunteers to take the club forward. They have the opportunity to withdraw the letter of resignation should help come forward. The club currently play at the impressive,  for both players and spectators, Nissan Sports and Recreation Complex on the outskirts of the town. 

Scarborough Athletic are delighted to announce that they will return to the town next season after 10 years sharing at Bridlington Town. Scarborough s 1st game back in the town is on July 15 th v Sheffield United. They finished 3rd this season in the evostick Northern League Division 1. There could be a couple of good games next season v South Shields. 

I just walked past Albany park on the way home today , always makes me sad. A Few of my mates watch washington occasionally but to my shame I never have. As a town we're not far off Burnley in size now but the nature of it means people will only care about Newcastle and sunderland.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Good up date Broon. I'm raging I can't go tomorrow. I'm not that fussed about Wembley though. 

How do you think South Shields will do next season? I think they could do a Spennymoor, but the downside is, it's not the attractive a division. They'll miss the Derbys.

I think they certainly have the potential for a double promotion and are ambitious enough for it.  A lot more traveling obviously but they seem to have a fanbase that appears to be growing all the time and are on good terms with a local travel company which might keep costs down a bit for the fans. 

Edit: One team to look out for are Blyth Town who have came from the Alliance to the verges of the Northern League 1st Division in a couple of seasons. They have a "sugar daddy" in charge who has transformed the ground and apparently was chased when tried to invest in the Spartans?

On 06/05/2017 at 17:27, Sergeant Wilson said:

5-0 to South Shields. Win at Wembley for a quadruple. North just seem to have ran out of steam a few weeks ago. Twitter pictures show a decent crowd.

Yes haven't seen an official figure but looked fairly decent crowd. South 3 up in 32 minutes, game over. North have since appointed a new manager for next season. 

You mentioned no Shields derbys next season but Gateshead Hartlepool could be tasty as Pool were relegated yesterday. 

6 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Yes haven't seen an official figure but looked fairly decent crowd. South 3 up in 32 minutes, game over. North have since appointed a new manager for next season. 

You mentioned no Shields derbys next season but Gateshead Hartlepool could be tasty as Pool were relegated yesterday. 

I should have said no league derbies, they might get drawn again in the cups. I hope so, among the best games I was at this season for atmosphere.