Tyne/Wear/Tees - The North East Thread

Newcastle United: After the embarrassment of last season's relegation, featuring hilarious cameo's from Steve McLaren, The True Geordie and the always entertaining Michael Ashley, Newcastle will be heavy, heavy favourites to bounce straight back this season. The 3 wins out of 10 'Messiah' Rafael Benitez signing a new contract has brought a lot of excitement to Tyneside, and Newcastle have done well so far in the transfer window, so there is no reason why they shouldn't be sitting in the top 2 come the end of the season.

Sunderland: Shafted by The FA's amateurish way of interviewing potential England managers, Sunderland's pre-season has stalled in a very bad way. They had the right man in charge to stabilise what is probably the most unstable club in the league, but events this Summer, stemming from Roy Hodgson deciding that Raheem Stering is a good player and Harry Kane is the right man to take corners, has led to Sunderland losing the man that they hoped would take them to the next level. Moyes looks set to take the job if/when Allardyce does go, but is he the right man for the job?

Boro: A team on a total high with some excellent business done so far by Karanka to bring in Negredo and Victor Valdes, would be no surprise if Middlesbrough end the season as the highest ranked team in the region. Travel to Sunderland on the second matchday which will see the two pictured below renew acquaintances.

SPARRING PARTNERS: Lee Cattermole and Grant Leadbitter confront each other during Middlesbrough and Sunderland's 2-2 draw in 2007-8

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 23:48, Miguel Sanchez said:

But who will win in the fans with unreasonable delusions of relevance stakes? Too close to call.

Newcastle. It'll always be Newcastle.

Really pleased with Boro's signings so far. Have solid cover in every area.

On 7/21/2016 at 10:34, AyrTroopMajor said:

Boro: A team on a total high with some excellent business done so far by Karanka to bring in Negredo and Victor Valdes, would be no surprise if Middlesbrough end the season as the highest ranked team in the region. Travel to Sunderland on the second matchday which will see the two pictured below renew acquaintances.

Don't forget Jordan McGhee...

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is he any good? 

Strnage signing to actually sign someone to play in the under-21's but they must see some potential I suppose.

He's gone backwards at Hearts. Change of scenery might do him good. There's a player in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't want to clog the Premier League thread with chat about Boro that nobody cares about so I'll keep it in here unless there's a TV game on that people are talking about.

In Boro to watch the glorious return to where we should be tomorrow. Hoped for a more glamorous game than Stoke but there you go.  Will be a good test against mid-tabl opposition to see how far off we are. Would probably take a draw just to get a point on the board as Stoke are a decent team, but it'll just be good to see the town and stadium bouncing, and to see some of the new players in action. Buzzing.

2 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Negredo scored already I see. Boro have made some very decent signings this summer. What's the aim for them? Avoid relegation or push for top half?

Think for any promoted team it's just to stay up and anything else is a bonus.

First half we dominated and had a few chances and could've been 3 up, but second half the intensity dropped and Stoke came back into it. A draw probably a fair result in the end.

Disappointing result for the Mackems today, but hopefully we'll get points on the board at home to Boro next week. Renewed my season ticket for the SOL, so looking forward to getting back down again. Middlesbrough is as close as we'll get to a proper derby after gloriously relegating Newcastle last season. 

How good has their start to the Championship been? :lol::lol:

13 minutes ago, MacGafraidh said:

Love the SOL, I always hoped that they would pack it out in the Premier and have to update the 2nd tier all the way round as I see Sunderland with the potential to be a 60,000 supported club.

Forever battling relegation doesn't do us any favours in that regard. If we were threatening the top 10 regularly, I could see us pushing 50k, sixty is a bit optomistic. 

19 hours ago, Latino Lover said:

Jesus 60k Mackems! And Newcastle are deluded.

"Everything is possible if you just wish hard enough" - Peter Pan (or was it Mike Ashley)

The Toon aren't helped that they are being destroyed from within by a fat cockney who cares 0 for the club and just wants to milk the cash cow of the Mags loyalty.

Sunderland, well we don't have that and a decent product on the field, look at Wst Ham, they moved from a 34k to a 60k stadium and they could fill it, we could do with a more "build it and they will come" mentality. Of course I also think that tickets should be reasonably priced and we should play at Saturday at 3pm so my view might not mean much.

I loved the Roker Park and I thought it would be sad moving to a soul-less bowl on the wrong end of town for me. However the SOL exceeded expectations and I believe we have the opportunity to make it THE stadium in the North East. I love visiting SJP as it is their cathedral, but it is limited by houses on one side and Ashleys unwillingness to redevelop on the other. Sounds strange coming from a Mackem but the Geordies deserve better!

added link to support Ashleys unwillingness to develop

http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/11/mike-ashley-developers-admit-to-fans-that-his-plans-will-stop-expansion-of-st-james-park/

Edited by MacGafraidh
added link