New England Manager

The_Craig

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given it's only a couple of months since they chose Big Sam from the three they interviewed, it'd really have to be either Bruce or Klinsmann given how little has changed since then. By putting Southgate in charge for the forthcoming fixtures it gives them the time to check on Bruce's possible involvement in the bung stuff but presumably Klinsmann's clear of it all. If they vary from those two it's effectively saying they were wrong with their summer short list. The only acceptable variation would be Southgate himself getting it full time if the FA had originally wanted him to replace Roy but he said he was happy with the Under-21's and now felt he did want to move up.

The poll on BBC Football has just closed.  Very close race too...

So the results are in and it turns out (in a very close run race) Arsene Wenger would be the people's choice as England's new permanent manager.

The Frenchman took 16% of the vote with Jurgen Klinsmann and Glenn Hoddle joint second with 15%.

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe was next with 12% while Alan Shearer had 10% of the voting

Three of those five I'd be delighted with.  Klinsmann isn't exactly well thought of in the US I don't think, and last time he was mentioned the English didn't seem too happy about a German being in charge (deary me).  And Glenn Hoddle...lol.

Not as much as Shearer though.  Please.  Please put Alan Shearer in.

Arsene Wenger would never go for it at this stage, but maybe would in the summer if they could keep Southgate on that long.  Undecided as to whether he'd be a good option. He'd certainly have them playing a more attractive style, but do they have the players to do it effectively?

Eddie Howe is probably one for the future.  He seems a nice guy, and the England job would probably chew him up and spit him out within a few years.  If I were him I'd stay away.  Still, he was in charge between 2018 and 2020 on my FM save where I managed Scotland.  He spat the dummy out after they beat us 1-0 at Hampden.  When we reversed them in Wembley, he started a long feud that ended with us beating them at Euro 2020, throwing a huge strop about it all when goaded, then got sacked.  I'd absolutely take that.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Glenn Hoddle, Alan Shearer? :lol::lol:

Has he even had another management job since he gave his "interesting" views an airing?  It was a bit before my time, but seem to remember from hindsight that he had England playing alright, but football has moved on massively since then.  And I doubt his views have, although admittedly he'll probably be a lot less likely to talk about them in an interview like a tit.

But Alan Shearer is absolutely ridiculous.  May as well just put a bulldog with a union jack on in charge, as you're effectively just pointing to a legend as a player and assuming he'll be able to do something.  He was absolute dogshit at Newcastle.

1 minute ago, forameus said:

Has he even had another management job since he gave his "interesting" views an airing?  It was a bit before my time, but seem to remember from hindsight that he had England playing alright, but football has moved on massively since then.  And I doubt his views have, although admittedly he'll probably be a lot less likely to talk about them in an interview like a tit.

But Alan Shearer is absolutely ridiculous.  May as well just put a bulldog with a union jack on in charge, as you're effectively just pointing to a legend as a player and assuming he'll be able to do something.  He was absolute dogshit at Newcastle.

Southampton and Spurs after England for Hoddle. He might have had another job after that but I can't remember who with.

10 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Southampton and Spurs after England for Hoddle. He might have had another job after that but I can't remember who with.

Wolves, in the 2nd Division, where he was, at best, bland and failed to get them promotion.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Was just away to Google that as it was bugging me! Cheers.

It's always stuck as it's laughable that the London media have always chosen to forget that his last managerial role ended in failure in the 2nd Division, a dose of reality they overlook about his managerial ability when constantly promoting him as the saviour of English football. He's now just another past it ex-pro promoting cheating while milking a living out of the media.

It's always stuck as it's laughable that the London media have always chosen to forget that his last managerial role ended in failure in the 2nd Division, a dose of reality they overlook about his managerial ability when constantly promoting him as the saviour of English football. He's now just another past it ex-pro promoting cheating while milking a living out of the media.

It's not just the talking heads and ex pros though. The fans seem to want him. It's akin to a Scottish fan wanting George Burley back. Absolutely bizarre suggestion.

They might as well go with Keegan or Shearer.

A highlight of Hoddle's time with Wolves was comparing Kenny Miller to Michel Platini.

Shearer would of course be the greatest thing of all time, but there is no way they'll be that stupid. I could genuinely see the FA going down the route of picking a former international legend with no managerial pedigree at some point out of desperation, much like Germany did with Rudi Voller when they were on the back of a disastrous tournament and their choice of a real manager was no longer a credible option due to a scandal in the media (Christopher Daum using cocaine), but Shearer's time at Newcastle surely means they'd never turn to him.

I could see it happening by them using someone like Shearer in a sort of joint management basis.  Put someone in that actually knows what they're doing with a view to showing him the ropes and stepping aside in future.

Of course that plan depends on a few things, most notably Shearer not being shit.  Which he is.

Archived