Stranger Things

Boostin' Kev

Finished watching this yesterday. Thought it was a decent enough watch, but can't help feeling like its ridiculously overrated. An enjoyable series? Yes. One of the best TV shows of recent times? No chance.

What age are you? Did you grow up watching 80's movies or are you a bit younger?

The fact it is such an amazing love letter to a certain generations childhood while also being excellent tv on its own means it stands out to people like me as more than just a good watch.

If you are in fact an 80s child and you didn't love it then then you wasted your childhood.

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

What age are you? Did you grow up watching 80's movies or are you a bit younger?

The fact it is such an amazing love letter to a certain generations childhood while also being excellent tv on its own means it stands out to people like me as more than just a good watch.

If you are in fact an 80s child and you didn't love it then then you wasted your childhood.

I'm 24 so missed the 80s but do love those films and did grow up watching them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I just can't really see the obsession with it.

12 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

I'm 24 so missed the 80s ...but I just can't really see the obsession with it.

There you go then, you're missing that vital ingredient - nostalgia.

Powerful drug.

Glad that they limited the first series to 8 episodes; meant that it rattled along at a fair pace. Felt like I was watching an actual 80s tv show in parts. Gimme another hit of nostalgia, please!

How many homages to 80s tv/film/books have people spotted, btw? The titles and score aren't subtle, but the scene in episode 5 when the kids are walking along the train track must have been a nod to 'Stand By Me'.

Noticed that too along with The Goonies of course, Aliens and a few others that'll come back to me.  There was a general homage to horror films of the time and parts of the soundtrack very John Carpernter esque.

Finished it last night thought it was really good.  Girlfriend loved and I'm pretty sure she hasn't watched any of the films we're talking about.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

I've been watching an episode a day for the last three nights. It terrifies the girlfriend though.

I'm interested enough to see it through to the end, it's got a decent enough mystery to keep me watching. Hopefully they stick the landing. I grew up in the 80s but the references don't do much for me, if anything some of the more blatant ones take you out of the fantasy for a bit. Perhaps if they were swapping Panini stickers it might be different, but that American childhood seems quite different from mine.

Some great acting, the boy who plays Mike is exceptional. I find some of the characters a bit too one dimensional to consider it a great show, but so far I've not regretted watching it.

I'm on episode 6 after starting last night. I think it's been class so far with a lot of interesting stuff going and it's not something I would normally go for. 

Been loving the style, think it's cool as f**k and done really well. But the soundtrack has been utterly amazing and the intro is proper good.

Not sure about a 2nd season???
How they left it was just fine IMO, very open with the main problems sorted and a few open ends just to show you it's not all alright and fate will still ram you in the end!!!
If they keep going I fear they're going to write themselves into a corner and 11 will turn out to be an alien/future X man and only she can save the world, I mean she already supposedly pulled off the ultimate sacrifice to save the day how many times can she be brought back to do that???
What if they went down the American Horror Story route and used the same cast in an entirely different story playing different characters???

On 09/08/2016 at 19:44, pub car king said:

Really can't decide if I want more or if another series would tarnish it.

I'm not sure why so many people think are worried that a second season would dilute their enjoyment of the first. It's like saying "I really enjoyed Cerny's first season at Firhill, but I'm not sure I want him back in case it tarnishes my memories of 15/16."

There's no need to fanny about with the format. The ending of the first was one of the show's weak points, there are still plenty more questions to be answered as things stand. Before filming the creators already had a thirty page explanation of how the Department of Energy, the Upside Down and the monster all linked together. I don't understand why people would rather watch another season of The Walking Dead or some other pish instead of giving a crew that has delivered an excellent product a chance to continue their work.