Football Literature

Guest bernardblack

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read two great ones by Michael Calvin. Living On A Volcano: The secrets of surviving as a football manager was brilliant, great insight into some of the managers around the lower leagues, Sean Dyche comes out of it well and Brendan Rodgers sounds and acts exactly like you imagine he would. Calvin also wrote The Nowhere Men about old-school scouts - it has some interesting bits about Warburton and what was going on at Brentford. Not as good as the other one but still decent.

Somebody mentioned it already but A Life Too Short is an amazing book about depression, one of the best sports books I have read.

On 20/07/2016 at 16:51, Virtual Insanity said:

I wanted to love Soccernomics but found it dull as f**k, would be interested in other people's views.

Football in Sun and Shadow by Eduardo Galeano is wonderful. It might be a bit too  pretentious for some but I loved it. 

Agreed on both counts

As others have said,"the miracle of castel di sangro","a season with Verona","morbo","tor",

On 21/07/2016 at 18:42, Saigon Raider said:

Read two great ones by Michael Calvin. Living On A Volcano: The secrets of surviving as a football manager was brilliant, great insight into some of the managers around the lower leagues, Sean Dyche comes out of it well and Brendan Rodgers sounds and acts exactly like you imagine he would. Calvin also wrote The Nowhere Men about old-school scouts - it has some interesting bits about Warburton and what was going on at Brentford. Not as good as the other one but still decent.

Somebody mentioned it already but A Life Too Short is an amazing book about depression, one of the best sports books I have read.

Picked up the Michael Calvin ones in charity shops while in Edinburgh last week. Bought on the basis of this thread so they better be good :P

Also got Andrew Jennings' one about the nonsense at FIFA. It's the original one that's about 10 years odd so it'll be interesting to see how much he was right about!

Got to include 'Black Diamonds and The Blue Brazil' and 'Helicopter Dreams' as 2 good football books.  Obviously being a Cowden fan they are relevant to me but I think most lower league fans would enjoy reading them. Especially Helictoper Dreams as I have a paragraph in it :lol: Both of course written by Pie and Bovrils Kierkegaard.

Been inspired by this thread and bought 'Dynamo', 'A season with Verona' and 'a life too short'.

Also I'll recommend 'hunting grounds' by Gary Sutherland. Guy tries to go through every Scottish ground in a single season (2006/2007). This had me in stitches at times when I was 14 and it still kept me entertained when I reread it recently

As mentioned a couple of times: Football Against The Enemy (in fact anything by Simon Kuper).

showing my age now but The Glory Game by Hunter Davies (a season with Tottenham) and Only a Game? By Eamonn Dunphy.

Also enjoyed The Secret Footballer although a lot of people think he's a journalist, not a footballer.

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Isn't it Dave Kitson? 

He seems to be the favourite but there's theories about how he's just a journalist using a mixture of different players.

• 2 weeks later...

No mention of Brilliant Oranje, or Inverting the Pyramid; far superior writes and all-round better works than shite like Soccernomics, which is just a collection of data, telling us how good someone like Stewart Downing is for simply completing a cross....and providing one assist when Liverpool signed him using that very concept. 

Marcotti/Vialli's Italian Job is thoroughly engrossing; not least Luca's fearless assessments on opponents, and Gab's ever-journalistic probing. Hunter's scud-mag-in-disguise about Barca is cringey at best, hanging around a bunch of young men with his jaw slavering all over the floor. They're good, we get it. 

Was a bit disappointed in The Numbers Game, thought with being a football stats geek it would be right up my street but it took me a few attempts to get through it.

I'll never finish The Ball is Round, I actually took it to South America with me 5 years ago to read on long trips, was probably the heaviest thing in my luggage. Just read all the bits on South America

Stramash is good, don't think that's been mentioned. Based on a guy going round grounds in Scotland in 09/10, giving brief history of the towns and teams and some local anecdotes. Places like Ayr, Greenock, Cowdenbeath etc.

Always assumed TSF was Dave Kitson with some stories from his mates thrown in to make it inconclusive that it's him but the journo using 4 or 5 different folk is a more sensible theory.

I quite liked Zlatan's book but it is what you'd expect; weirdly I did think as soon as Mourinho got the Man Utd job he'd follow him as Mourinho is about one of the 5 people in football other than himself that he likes.

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Was a bit disappointed in The Numbers Game, thought with being a football stats geek it would be right up my street but it took me a few attempts to get through it.

Stramash is good, don't think that's been mentioned. Based on a guy going round grounds in Scotland in 09/10, giving brief history of the towns and teams and some local anecdotes. Places like Ayr, Greenock, Cowdenbeath etc.

I found stramash hugely disappointing,same with hunting grounds

Definitely do not get "Is the Baw Burst?"

A Rangers fan does the 'groundhopping' thing looking for 'solutions' to Scottish football's 'ailments'.

It includes a trip to Old Trafford in the UCL just as a, you know, relevant counterpoint to Station Park and Cliftonhill.

I think they even did an updated version after Rangers went breests up. The one I bought has 'dark financial clouds gathering' etc.

Archived